PDA

View Full Version : How to know when its time for a new clutch

Tortoise
06-20-2010, 12:00 PM
so ive let a lot of people learn stick on my car like a moron. My clutch seems to be grabbing higher than it used to and my pedal feels all mushy and nasty. Are there any tests to see if i need a new clutch soon? and someone also said maybe i just need to bleed the clutch line and the mushiness will go away..

Passenger
06-20-2010, 01:19 PM
Just drive like you normally would. I'd get to a decent speed like 45+ and keep it in like 3rd gear and mash the gas. if the rpms go up higher w/o feeling it pull a little then yes you need a clutch. Word of advice keep those monkeys away from your car, I did the same as you did back in the day when I was 16 trying to be a people pleaser, and I had to pay for it.

johnkimble
06-20-2010, 01:24 PM
yeah, but if you're anything like me you don't want to do anything you don't need to. if it were me, however mushy or shitty it feels, I'd just hang with it and once it's noticeably slipping replace it.

SUSHI_NE1
09-13-2010, 05:51 PM
I guess it's time for me to get a new clutch cuz thats exactly what mines does. :-(

Stanz0r
09-13-2010, 06:06 PM
Well I bought a house in March and have been planning a wedding so of course mine went out a few months back. It just happened one day I started noticing it was harder to get in gear. Then I grinded third one day while granny shifting and thought wtf. By the time I got home I was having a hard time getting in all gears and reverse was nearly impossible. So 160k miles into owning the car I ended up having to replace the clutch.

AUTiger
09-13-2010, 07:12 PM
160k on one clutch, that's pretty good. I toasted my first one in 40k. I have 63k on my current one, but since I am getting a swap this week I figured I might as well upgrade while the motor and tranny are out, so a CC stage 4 is going in.

Mine started to smell really bad for a few months and then one day I went into 2nd instead of 4th, pressed the clutch in quickly and thought something wasn't right. I drove the hour home that night with no problems, a few days later I was driving to school and I would barely give it gas and my rpms would sky rocket in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. I knew then it was fucked and turned around and had it towed to the shop.

K20wagon
09-13-2010, 07:52 PM
I had 110k on mine and had to change it but it was really bad. It was really close to just metal lol. With mine I had to rev higher to take off cause the rpms would tend to just drop cause it would slip. When I got my new clutch and put it on I looked at my old clutch and was like damn.

Stanz0r
09-13-2010, 07:55 PM
160k on one clutch, that's pretty good. .

I thank commuting to work 45-60 miles one way lol. 95% of my drive is interstate.

Passenger
09-13-2010, 08:45 PM
If you work during the day shift, and in Atlanta, rush hour out i-20W SUX

vbpracer
09-13-2010, 09:20 PM
Wow 160K is pretty good mileage! Im still on the stock clutch, 90K and went from k20a3, k20a3+jrsc, k24a2, k24a2+ jrsc and no problems yet!

sLiCk
09-13-2010, 09:33 PM
It's all in the driver. Bigger motors and more tq just adds to it. I've seen clutches go in 20k on stock a3's and some will tip 200k before it needs a clutch.

johnkimble
09-13-2010, 11:07 PM
if you need a new clutch after 20k it's definitely the driver lol

Stanz0r
09-13-2010, 11:49 PM
If you work during the day shift, and in Atlanta, rush hour out i-20W SUX

Nah, always have worked second shift or night shift so I've missed the traffic. I absolutely refuse to work day shift unless my job just depends on it. I'm not saying I never had fun or raced anyone, but I never floored it everytime I took off or raced red light to red light.

I probably could have gotten more on it, but it was a demo model with 800 miles on it when I picked it up, I learned to drive a manual on it, and my brother also borrowed it for six months when I bought my S2000. FWIW I'm hoping to get 200,000 out of this clutch.