PDA

View Full Version : Front motor mount, what am I missing? Help

gekigangarIII
06-20-2010, 01:09 PM
Ok, so I have a cracked (seal) front motor mount that I'm trying to replace. Just replacing it with an oem replacement, same exact part.

Have the car jacked up and on stands, lifted the engine with the jack via phonebook/oilpan. Removed all of the bolts from the mount and there is just no way in hell this thing is going to come out of here! It just jiggles around, not enough clearance above or below to remove the old mount. Everything I read acts as if this is a lego replacement (snap on/snap off) but I can't for the life of me get this part out, to replace it!

Basically it's go about 1" of play in every direction, just not enough to get it out. What am I missing?

Any help is much appreciated, thanks!

Jmage
06-20-2010, 01:26 PM
You'll need to loose the bolt holding your subframe so you can make more room to remove it. It gets pretty tight in there specially if you don't have a lift :)

gekigangarIII
06-20-2010, 01:42 PM
You'll need to loose the bolt holding your subframe so you can make more room to remove it. It gets pretty tight in there specially if you don't have a lift :)

Do you mean both subframe bolts in the front? I thought there were two on the front?

thanks!

Jmage
06-20-2010, 01:47 PM
Yep, that's how I did mine but didn'T completly remove them (the bolts) :) I did both front and rear mount at the same time, You might have to loose the rear* mount too ...

gekigangarIII
06-20-2010, 02:10 PM
Yeah I'm going to have to try the rear as well. I have both subfame bolts in the front so loose I can hand loosen them and there still isn't enough clearance! I'm about ready to put this car in neutral and kick it off a cliff.

Did you get the front one out above the bracket or slide it under? Over looks like the only viable option and it looks like I still have at LEAST 1" of loosening needed to get it out. I'm just stumped.

At this point I'm afraid of the subframe falling on my ass it's soo loose (tires are still on too)...

gekigangarIII
06-20-2010, 02:32 PM
yeah, no luck. Still not enough clearance, looks like the fan housing is blocking it... :(

Also, found a 1/4" chunk torn out of the transmission housing right on the bottom near where the oil pan fastens... ugh. I'm guessing that is a total replacement.

beechstreet
06-20-2010, 06:00 PM
drop the sub-frame... makes things a lot easier. you can probably bring it down yourself, its not too heavy unless you're like 110 pnds of skin and bone

Twisted-X
06-20-2010, 08:55 PM
yeah, no luck. Still not enough clearance, looks like the fan housing is blocking it... :(

Also, found a 1/4" chunk torn out of the transmission housing right on the bottom near where the oil pan fastens... ugh. I'm guessing that is a total replacement.

Do you have 3 bolts in your front motor mount? It might be where the lower motor mount bolt is supposed to go into the trans...

Jmage
06-21-2010, 04:59 AM
Yeah I'm going to have to try the rear as well. I have both subfame bolts in the front so loose I can hand loosen them and there still isn't enough clearance! I'm about ready to put this car in neutral and kick it off a cliff.

Did you get the front one out above the bracket or slide it under? Over looks like the only viable option and it looks like I still have at LEAST 1" of loosening needed to get it out. I'm just stumped.

At this point I'm afraid of the subframe falling on my ass it's soo loose (tires are still on too)...

I did it on a lift and I "lifted" the engine while loosing the subframe and move down the lift... It's been a year now so it's not really accurate in my head hehe

But clearance was tight... the rear mount was tricky to get out (Went out where the O2 sensor are) while the front one I used "force" :P

StraightEP3
06-21-2010, 05:31 AM
I had to remove driver side mount and jack up the motor, I didnt loosen the subframe at all. It was still very tight, it took me like an hour to get it right. Good luck.

gekigangarIII
06-21-2010, 06:19 AM
Yeah, I just fastened it back up, probably just take it to the stealership as I don't have an engine lift (just working with a jack and stands). Hopefully they don't gouge me too bad since I already have the part.

Upon bolting everything up I have a new great problem. For some reason when I let off the gas, or give it a sharp stab I hear this awful screeching noise as if something is rubbing against a fan blade. But it rises and falls with cadence of the RPMs so I don't know what the heck it is. It's not something stuck in the radiator fans, those are clear (and they wouldn't rise/fall with the rpms of the engine anyway). Also, it doesn't do it 100% of the time... only about 20% of the time lol. Ugh... oh well.