PDA

View Full Version : Anyone seen these intakes?

SiCivic2k2
12-06-2002, 08:55 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1874068074

They're on e-bay for $30.00. Cheap mod for someone who doesn't have the money for a CAI.

Cone Killer
12-06-2002, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by SiCivic2k2
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1874068074

They're on e-bay for $30.00. Cheap mod for someone who doesn't have the money for a CAI.

Yeah...that's what I have...I'll get back to you tomorrow when I have more time to write.

team ERA 5
12-07-2002, 11:56 PM
yea doooooode when i saw that intake for 30 bucks i bought it UMMM IM STILL WAITING FOR IT i gotta quick question???CONE KILLER ...IS ITS LOUD AND WHATS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE ONE MEEH AND U HAVE FROM THE OTHER injen and AEM etc.....could u feel a difference and could u hear the vtec kick in??????

myeverlovinsir
12-07-2002, 11:59 PM
It's an SRI, moderately good by any stretch.

Cone Killer
12-08-2002, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by team ERA 5
yea doooooode when i saw that intake for 30 bucks i bought it UMMM IM STILL WAITING FOR IT i gotta quick question???CONE KILLER ...IS ITS LOUD AND WHATS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE ONE MEEH AND U HAVE FROM THE OTHER injen and AEM etc.....could u feel a difference and could u hear the vtec kick in??????

An intake is an intake is an intake....I can't possibly see why anyone should buy a $190 injen intake over a $30 ebay one. They do the same damn job, so why pay 8x more? It sounds the same, which by the way, makes me so happy:D

I just finished putting on a sticky type insulation with a silver aluminum side and a foam sticky side, to help combad engine heat. So again, in recap, it's the same thing as any other short ram intake, so don't worry. If you think I'm still full of it I'll show you a dyno sheet with a home made cold air intake I had at one time for a 95 Civic EX auto.:)

team ERA 5
12-13-2002, 02:22 AM
yea i just installed mine megan racing intake tooooo i like it but damn it gets hellla hott....

Cone Killer
12-13-2002, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by team ERA 5
yea i just installed mine megan racing intake tooooo i like it but damn it gets hellla hott....

I wrapped mine with a sticky reflective tape/foam insulation from home depot.

http://www.trailingsilence.com/dave/ephatch/intakewrap2.jpg

tkm
12-13-2002, 05:20 PM
You guys are missing something--those cheap @ss intakes have cheap @ss filters that come with them.

No way I'd put those on my motor. The better systems have real K&N filters and not knock-offs. A friend of mine had one of those cheap intakes and we found dust on the inside of his piping. Needless to say, it was off the next day.

If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

K20ACTR
12-13-2002, 08:19 PM
If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

WELL SAID!

civic hatch boi
12-13-2002, 08:22 PM
cone, u have the ugliest engine bay in the world hahaahaha

02blksi
12-13-2002, 09:05 PM
"cone, u have the ugliest engine bay in the world hahaahaha"

I second that motion ........:D ;)

I to believed that an intake is an intake is an intake, until of course they DYNO evidence proved otherwise. --Joe. hey its your coin you do what you want.

Cone Killer
12-13-2002, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by civic hatch boi
cone, u have the ugliest engine bay in the world hahaahaha

This from the guy who has mods in his sig that he doesn't have....please:rolleyes:

And if you haven't noticed YET...I don't do things so they look good (hint: look at my non mod listing sig)

RAcarboy
12-13-2002, 10:28 PM
Well, as a vendor, I have seen these el cheapo intakes and i can vouch for the fact that they are indeed cheap for a reason. Most of these intakes have inner piping diameter of no more than 2 inches and the filters are also noticeably smaller than the filters that come with AEM and Injen intakes. If you are just buying an intake to have pretty piping, you are buying an intake for the wrong reason. The name brands spend a lot of money on R&D and have proven results (ie. dyno sheets on the manufacturer websites). I know I"m probably going out on a limb here, but I'm going to say that performance-wise, these el cheapo intakes probably hinder performance. Don't waste your money on thrm if your goal is increasing horsepower.

Cone Killer
12-14-2002, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by RAcarboy
Well, as a vendor, I have seen these el cheapo intakes and i can vouch for the fact that they are indeed cheap for a reason. Most of these intakes have inner piping diameter of no more than 2 inches and the filters are also noticeably smaller than the filters that come with AEM and Injen intakes. If you are just buying an intake to have pretty piping, you are buying an intake for the wrong reason. The name brands spend a lot of money on R&D and have proven results (ie. dyno sheets on the manufacturer websites). I know I"m probably going out on a limb here, but I'm going to say that performance-wise, these el cheapo intakes probably hinder performance. Don't waste your money on thrm if your goal is increasing horsepower.

Well guess what....it's not 2 inch diameter, I didn't get it for pretty piping as obviouse because I covered it up, and the actual size of the filter really does not matter, but in case you want to know it has a 3 inch opening and is quite large.

And as your opinon goes, your buisness depends on what you sell and if people are not buying your stuff you will tell them they should, not because they REALLY should, but because you have to make money. That is the irony of the this world and paridigm that has been created.

So to sum it up, I don't care what you think, because it's usually based on, "how can I get this guy to buy my intake even if it's the same as one at 1/2 the price".

Just to add wood to the fire. I made an intake back when I had a 95 Civic Ex auto. I bought one of those "fake" filters, and some piping and put it all together and guess what? My home made intake made more power on the D16Z6 than most intakes out there.
http://www.trailingsilence.com/dave/exdyno2.jpg

I have first had experience with these "el chepo" intakes and I say they are just as good as ones for $200.

Cone Killer
12-14-2002, 10:52 AM
According to AEM's web site....AEM 2002 Civic Si dyno results (http://www.aemintakes.com/pdf/results/21-5082002CivicSI_CAS.pdf) the cold air intake they make only made 4.5hp and 5.4ft/lbs. My home made intake made more power on a less powerfull engine! What do you say about that?

RAcarboy
12-14-2002, 11:06 AM
First of all, I can understand how you feel defensive because your response definitely came across as just that. Just to refute your accusation that I'm just in this for the money, redline autosport stopped selling on this forum site about a week ago, so my perspective on these economical intakes is unbiased. Clearly it appears that you believe you have found a superior product... and rightly so because you took the time and effort to spend your hard earned money to install one of these intakes. For the record, and with no intention of starting a flamer thread (or whatever its called), I just checked the dyno sheets on AEM's website for the same application...

D16 motor with short ram and cold air intake. Generally the short ram intakes produce less HP than the cold airs.

On 92-95 D16 motor:
short ram: 93.1 HP stock/ 102.9 HP after
http://www.aempower.com/pdf/results/22-4011996-2000HondaCivicEXAutomaticSRS.pdf

On 96-00 D16 motor:
short ram: 95.4 HP stock/101.2 HP after
http://www.aempower.com/pdf/results/22-4131996-2000HondaCivicDXLXCXSRS.pdf

cold air: 95.4 HP stock/106.2 HP after
http://www.aempower.com/pdf/results/21-413%201996-2000%20Honda%20Civic%20DX,LX,CX%20CAS.pdf

I know that for comparison sake, we should probably consider a couple other factors such as ambient temperature during dyno runs, how many dyno runs were performed, and whether the moon is waxing or waning...but alas.

I squinted really damn hard, but I still couldn't make out the exact numbers of your dyno sheet Mr. Crusoe, however it really appears that your results didn't come quite as close to a "big name expensive brand" intake.

In addition, just to quell any anger that you might have towards me for pointing out these facts. I actually make much much more money on customers selling them el cheapo intakes than I do selling the name brand ones. At the end of the day, I will still recommend AEM or Injen.

Have a good weekend.

tkm
12-14-2002, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Cone Killer

Just to add wood to the fire. I made an intake back when I had a 95 Civic Ex auto. I bought one of those "fake" filters, and some piping and put it all together and guess what? My home made intake made more power on the D16Z6 than most intakes out there.

I have first had experience with these "el chepo" intakes and I say they are just as good as ones for $200.

You have *got* to be kidding me. The cheapo air filters might flow better because they are filtering a lot worse than the better ones. Would you rather make 2 more hp all the time rather than filtering the dust out of your motor?

The air intake, other than changing your oil, is one of the most important places where you can keep a healthy and clean motor. Hey, if you want to save some cash now, that's up to you. I'd rather run bone stock than run a cheap @ss filter.

If anything, buy the kit off of ebay just for the piping. Then, paint it with ceramic paint and chuck the cheapo filter and buy a good filter for it. You might be able to do that for less than an AEM short ram, but why not just by the better kit in the first place?

Cone Killer
12-14-2002, 04:03 PM

On 92-95 D16 motor:
short ram: 93.1 HP stock/ 102.9 HP after
http://www.aempower.com/pdf/results/22-4011996-2000HondaCivicEXAutomaticSRS.pdf

On 96-00 D16 motor:
short ram: 95.4 HP stock/101.2 HP after
http://www.aempower.com/pdf/results/22-4131996-2000HondaCivicDXLXCXSRS.pdf

cold air: 95.4 HP stock/106.2 HP after
http://www.aempower.com/pdf/results/21-413%201996-2000%20Honda%20Civic%20DX,LX,CX%20CAS.pdf

These are ALL the 1998 D16 engines...none of them are the 92-95 engines even though that's what the link is titled, so it's not a good compairison. But, my intake still did as well as the ones you posted, with one aception.

Cone Killer
12-14-2002, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by tkm

You have *got* to be kidding me. The cheapo air filters might flow better because they are filtering a lot worse than the better ones. Would you rather make 2 more hp all the time rather than filtering the dust out of your motor?
What's from stoping me from using my left over spray stuff from my last K&N filter on my new generic one?

If anything, buy the kit off of ebay just for the piping. Then, paint it with ceramic paint and chuck the cheapo filter and buy a good filter for it. You might be able to do that for less than an AEM short ram, but why not just by the better kit in the first place?

It really boils down to this. I'm not going to pay more money for something if I can do it myself.

Cone Killer
12-14-2002, 04:09 PM
Clearly it appears that you believe you have found a superior product... and rightly so because you took the time and effort to spend your hard earned money to install one of these intakes.

I am not under the impression that what I have is superior product. I do know that I have a superior price for a comparable product.

tkm
12-14-2002, 04:31 PM

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by tkm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What's from stoping me from using my left over spray stuff from my last K&N filter on my new generic one?

Because, the filters and constructed completely different. The generic one is a far cry from the quality of material used in the K&N. The K&N oil is fine, but it won't matter as air will still get through the cheaply made filter.

Your engine though.

Cone Killer
12-14-2002, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by tkm
[B]

Because, the filters and constructed completely different. The generic one is a far cry from the quality of material used in the K&N. B]

And your source?

tkm
12-14-2002, 07:07 PM

And your source?

I could ask you the same thing.

However, those cheap filters are junk. Hold them up to the light, then do the same to a K&N and you'll see what I mean.

Just not worth it IMO.

Cone Killer
12-14-2002, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by tkm

I could ask you the same thing.

However, those cheap filters are junk. Hold them up to the light, then do the same to a K&N and you'll see what I mean.

Just not worth it IMO.

I already listed my sources...why should I believe this "hold it up the light" theory? I don't think you have anything to back up what you are saying, except that it's cheap and therefore, not the same quality. What about the paper filter that comes with the car? Are you implying that everyone with a paper filter should immediately, for fear of dammaging their car, switch to a K&N filter? How does an objects translusence translate into its ability to filter out harmfull products in the air? Why don't you get back to me on this theroy when you find a good answer.

team ERA 5
12-14-2002, 10:21 PM
cone killller HAS A POINT THERE......WE DO OUR OWN SHIT...Y PAY 200 BUCKS ETC...were happpy with our intakes SOOO BOOOOOOYAH SO GET OFF....y dont people change the stock filter?????those do look crapppy...IM HAPPPY WITH OUR MEGAN RACING filters.....OH YEA CONE KILLER ARE OUR FILTERS carblegal??? HIT MEH BACK AIGHT

tkm
12-14-2002, 10:59 PM

I already listed my sources...why should I believe this "hold it up the light" theory? I don't think you have anything to back up what you are saying, except that it's cheap and therefore, not the same quality. What about the paper filter that comes with the car? Are you implying that everyone with a paper filter should immediately, for fear of dammaging their car, switch to a K&N filter? How does an objects translusence translate into its ability to filter out harmfull products in the air? Why don't you get back to me on this theroy when you find a good answer.

#1 You haven't proved anything in your favor to add to this discussion

#2 I have seen these so-called cheap filters in action. They let dirt through, period. That's enough proof for me. They aren't nearly as fiberous as a quality element. And yes, when you can easily see through the cotton filter, you can imagine how many dirt particles are getting through. Common sense.

Perhaps conekiller and his followers should read this:
http://www.knfilters.com/facts.htm

Now that you have read that, it will answer your paper-filter questions as well.

Back to the cheap oiled filters that come with the cheapo intakes:

I have no idea why you guys trust your motor to these. Even the rubber bottom part is cheaper than a good element. After 6 months it was showing signs of cracking. Same goes for the silicon piece that held the intake tube to the throttle body. It was actually turning a light blue color because it couldn't stand the heat.

Again, your car, your decision. However, other than the price, these cheap intakes provide no advantage whatsoever over the better quality intakes. And an extra $50 is of little significance on a $19K car, especially since that extra $50 buys you a *much* better intake system.

Cone Killer
12-14-2002, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by tkm
Again, your car, your decision. However, other than the price, these cheap intakes provide no advantage whatsoever over the better quality intakes. And an extra $50 is of little significance on a $19K car, especially since that extra $50 buys you a *much* better intake system.

so no advantage...I know....less money...yup. So why should I pay more for an intake (which is what the original dicussion was about) when the only difference is the filter?

tkm
12-14-2002, 11:21 PM

so no advantage...I know....less money...yup. So why should I pay more for an intake (which is what the original dicussion was about) when the only difference is the filter?

Reasons against:

--cheaper filter element

--uncoated intake tubing (gets hot)

--not a great fit (usually includes mysterious brackets)

--very cheap silicon gaskets and hoses (will get hard and discolor over time)

--hardware will rust after a while

--Comes with no instructions, warranty or carb number.

Reasons for:

--Price

However, AEM short RAM = $80 on the net. Generic short RAM = $30 on ebay.

You'll be buying another intake a year from now, trust me. Not trying to be an ass, but I have seen these intakes in action and know what will happen. If you haven't checked your intake tube in a while, run your finger inside of it and see how much dust you pull out.

If you are curious as to what I did--I had a K&N RU3130 left over from my Integra. I cut a piece of one of those cheapo intakes off and used a 6" straight section. Put the 3130 on one end and the other end into the oem rubber boot. Secured it down and it works like a champ. If you were to do this, the RU3130 is $29 and the piping can be bought in PVC for at Home Depot for $1.99. So basically, I have the same thing you do for the same price, only I have a quality air filter. If anyone is interested, I'll post some pics.

team ERA 5
12-15-2002, 12:00 AM
i just removed my filter and checked the piping I FIND NO DUST OR ANYTHING and ive had this filter for almost a thousand miles...loooks good too meh but yea my girls buying me a k&n filter sooon so yea...

EP33
12-15-2002, 12:54 PM
Check it out. . . Last night I went to my girls holiday party at the Ontario Convention Ctr (Cali) less than 15 minutes from K&N HQ. K&N had a sswwweeeeettttt party in the same building (nextdoor hall/ballroom). My girlfriend won a 27" TV & DVD player from her party. We're all loading our sh** after the party in front of the place, K&N people were pushing out CARTs 'O SH**. One couple came with their MiniVan seats OUT! They had 32inch SONY TVs, multiple DVD players, it was sick. I felt like driving my Typhoon equipt Si on the dance floor to pop the hood and COLLECT MY FU**n RAFFLE TICKET!!!!!!:(

Cone Killer
12-15-2002, 03:53 PM
I really don't like how you keep assuming about the intake that I have.

Originally posted by tkm

Reasons against:

--cheaper filter element

maybe

--uncoated intake tubing (gets hot)

I don't really see how a paint can cause that much of a cooler pipe. Metal is metal and still conducts heat. NASA does not paint their ceramic tiles. Why? Because they are made of ceramic. Yes, a ceramic coated header dissipates less heat, but we are not talking about a ceramic coated intake so it's irrelevant.

Either way, I already covered the pipe with the insulation which is way better than any paint so moot point.

--not a great fit (usually includes mysterious brackets)

No mysterious brackets, but not perfect.

--very cheap silicon gaskets and hoses (will get hard and discolor over time)

We'll see about this

--hardware will rust after a while

I bought new hardware for like $1.00 because the clamps were cheap.

--Comes with no instructions, warranty or carb number.

who need instructions?

Really...I think you are being way too picky. I think for $50 it does the job and that's all I'm trying to point out.

jo3y
12-15-2002, 06:57 PM
Hey All i bought that same intake from Megan (its really for an RSX type S) at least thats what the box said. Anyway i will agree its a cheap intake, because it has cheap hardware and a cheap filter. Solution: upgrade the hardware and air filter. I only really bought the intake for the metal tubing portion of it. I think the other intakes are over priced

Megan intake shipped - $30

K&N 3" cone filter - $30

New Hose clamps - $1

$61 for a good setup

I study engineering and a metal tube is a metal tube no matter how many bends or what direction the bends are in.

Im going to get it dyno'd soon and ill post the results with my setup

K20ACTR
12-15-2002, 09:00 PM
Why would you spend the money on your new Si if you aren't even willing to put a quality part on?

BlasTech
12-15-2002, 09:52 PM
There's no way to get around noticing a significant markup over the actual material/construction costs of the most popular intakes.

A metal or plastic tube is not worth $100 on top of the marked-up price of the K&N Filter...

Research? This isnt biochemistry. The technology to make these things has been around for hundreds (thousands?) of years. From there, its trial and error, based on what already worked for past models.

But there's no use arguing either way till we see some dyno numbers folks.

On another note...wouldnt it be cool if everyone could pitch in some research $$$ so certain members of our ephatch community who are handy with carbon fiber could come up with a dyno-proven CAI thats all our own? I think we'd be shocked at how inexpensive it can be to get those results.

tkm
12-15-2002, 10:39 PM
The AEM intakes are coated in a ceramic based paint, so this is why they stay cooler.

Rememer too, the AEM short-ram intakes include the better K&N with the velocity stack in it. Those filters are $40 or so. So, you're paying an extra $40-$50 for a nicer tube, a good fit, stainless steel hardware, quality silicon connectors and goodyear hoses, carb number, detailed instructions and a warranty.

Ive been working with Honda Civics since 1992 and I have owned six different acura/hondas. I also have tired about every aftermarket product out there. The cheap intakes are cheap intakes, period. Buy once, and buy quality. You'll be so much better off in the long run IMO.

moeman
12-16-2002, 03:55 AM
i'm just curious...
where can i find the AEM short ram for $80.00?
i've looked around on the web and haven't been able to find a deal that good.
thanks,
m

tkm
12-16-2002, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by moeman
i'm just curious...
where can i find the AEM short ram for $80.00?
i've looked around on the web and haven't been able to find a deal that good.
thanks,
m

You can find them everywhere for $80. Try any online retailers, or even ebay.

ssvr6
12-16-2002, 08:32 AM
I just think it's sad that you have to spend more money to get quality. If that's the case, those of you that got a great deal on an Si, you bought a pile of crap.

I personally have an Injen CAI, but this short ram looks fine to me. As for cheap products on my car, I have a no name rear strut bar that I got off of Ebay. It tightened up the rear plenty for me. Is it going to damage my car because it's missing the ever important "DC Sports" from it? I doubt it.

While I agree, the K&N is a better filter, what about those with "foam" cone filters? K&N Say that they suck too. I had one on my VR6 for 2 years. It worked just fine for me.

I say save a penny whenever you get the chance.

Steve

tkm
12-16-2002, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by ssvr6
I just think it's sad that you have to spend more money to get quality. If that's the case, those of you that got a great deal on an Si, you bought a pile of crap.

I personally have an Injen CAI, but this short ram looks fine to me. As for cheap products on my car, I have a no name rear strut bar that I got off of Ebay. It tightened up the rear plenty for me. Is it going to damage my car because it's missing the ever important "DC Sports" from it? I doubt it.

While I agree, the K&N is a better filter, what about those with "foam" cone filters? K&N Say that they suck too. I had one on my VR6 for 2 years. It worked just fine for me.

Steve

WTF??? Where do you guys get this logic from? Getting a good deal on a car does not mean it is a piece for crap and is not even in the same context of this argument. However, would you not agree that the RSX-S, while more expensive, is a better car?

A strut bar does not deal with filtering air into your motor. A cheap strut bar hurts nothing. A cheap intake might perhaps let dirt into your motor.

And last I checked, you get what you pay for. Why is this so hard to comprehend? Save a penny now, and run into motor problems later on down the line. Sure, that makes perfect sense to me.

The foam style of air filters are good too. Not quite as durable, but pretty good. I ran the foam style on my Quadracer and had good luck with it, but I did need to replace it after a certain amount of time because it would only take so many cleanings.

How hard is this to understand? Why would you gamble with a new $19K car in spending $50 less on an intake? Think about it.

civic hatch boi
12-16-2002, 12:49 PM

Steve

im sorry but that was the weakest argument in the world.. none of points were relevent

myeverlovinsir
12-16-2002, 05:04 PM

im sorry but that was the weakest argument in the world.. none of points were relevent

I think he was just making a point, hatch boi. it's up to you
how you spend your money, if you spend any at all. (hint)

civic hatch boi
12-16-2002, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by myeverlovinsir

I think he was just making a point, hatch boi. it's up to you
how you spend your money, if you spend any at all. (hint)

i know what he was trying..but his point didn'tmake sense.. how can you compare a bar to an intake? it's like comparing your leg to your heart. woudlnt' you want to take better care of your heart than your leg?

sniperSI
12-16-2002, 06:20 PM
Yeah I

Jpax
12-16-2002, 06:35 PM
ehh?

what happened?

Cone Killer
12-16-2002, 06:37 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by sniperSI
[B]I/h/e then work your way inside, the theory being is you upgrade all the little things first that effect the car in small ways so when you upgrade the big shit, internals ect, your car is running max efficiency, you shouldn

civic hatch boi
12-16-2002, 06:40 PM

My point is....you don't have to spend top dollar for the same performance gain. I didn't bring up the filter argument.

but by purchasing a cheap $30 intake, ur saying that it's quality is also as good as an aem or injen. perhaps ur gains might be as good, but intake isn't all about performance, it's about quality and longevity.

myeverlovinsir
12-16-2002, 08:41 PM
Unfortunately an intake is just part of the performance puzzle.
Argue if you will but a custom job is always better if you know
what you are doing. I have seen FIAA racing customs with
huge baffled, fluted plenums that expand larger than the engine
in volume. These are monsters. A CAI is just the start of the
race curve. The quality must be built in, or why even use it?
I think the intake industry has its players, AEM seems good to me.
So I payed a little more. I got what I wanted. No regrets.:angel:

ssvr6
12-16-2002, 08:58 PM
Weak or not, it makes sense to me. I could care less if anyone else got it.

As for the intake, here's my point. K&N plainly states in their commercials (and their site I'm sure) that Foam filters are crap (more or less) and paper filters are a waste, but the "god like" K&N is the best.

I ran a Neuspeed P-Flow on my VR6(Foam Filter) and it was fine. It was cheaper than the K&N style and worked great for me.

As for spending "top dollar" on my ride. I'm going to spend the "smartest" dollar on it instead. I don't need $600 exhausts when a custom $150 will do the same, and I certainly don't need to be told that filters off of Ebay are crap (especially since you've obviously personally done the research to verify as such).

Again, I own an Injen CAI. It works great HOWEVER, If there was a $60 CAI available when I bought my filter, I would have gotten it. The amount of "possible dirt" that gets by, is negligent at best.

That would have saved me $140 for that 2.25 midpipe.

JMO

Steve

tkm
12-16-2002, 09:09 PM
Again, I own an Injen CAI. It works great HOWEVER, If there was a $60 CAI available when I bought my filter, I would have gotten it. The amount of "possible dirt" that gets by, is negligent at best.

*Any* dirt that gets by is too much dirt. You really want those particles swirling about your cylinders?

An exhaust does not affect the wear and tear on your cylinders, pistons and valves like having a cheap intake would (by not filtering).

There are two things that can prolong the life and power of your car--have a good filtering intake system and having a good filtering oil system. Why take the chances with a no-name filter? I just don't get it.

And to repeat, I had a friend with one of these on his car and we found dust on the inside of the intake piping.

Cone Killer
12-16-2002, 09:26 PM

but by purchasing a cheap $30 intake, ur saying that it's quality is also as good as an aem or injen. perhaps ur gains might be as good, but intake isn't all about performance, it's about quality and longevity.

No, I'm saying I don't want to spend money for a name brand when a non name brand does the same job, albeit without the carb # and warranty which are obvioulsy not important to me or I would have done other wise. I'm not saying anything about quality, except that I recognize the build is a little off, but I see it as an acceptable difference. I'm not telling any one what to do, I'm just backing up my position. I'd rather pay $50 for 6hp than $90 or whatever. Even though I paid for my car dearly, does not limit my choice to be cheap. This argument has totally gone off track because the people who argued against me kept putting up false info about the intake that I had and made bad assumptions that I refuted. Now it is boiling down to another discussion (filter quality) that I think is good, but I don't want anyone to think I'm against a healthy car or good filtering. I haven't said anything about it yet, and I will remain that way till I get some more info. Untill then, ebay intakes do the job just as well, and I have plenty of proof to show for it.

Cone Killer
12-16-2002, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by tkm

And to repeat, I had a friend with one of these on his car and we found dust on the inside of the intake piping.

I believe you. It would be interesting to see if the K&N spray stuff would help that. I'm assuming he didn't use anything like that. I'll have to do it and get back to you.

tkm
12-16-2002, 09:33 PM
Power is kind of the side issue now, but if you don't know what the filter is doing, then why risk it? Is $50 really worth a seized up or scored cylinder engine?

I honestly don't see a K&N filter making anymore power than the cheap one, and the cheap one may even make more power just because it doesn't restrict flow as much. But that isn't necessarily a good thing.

myeverlovinsir
12-16-2002, 09:41 PM
I actually did clean my AEM CAI filter after having it in for more than 3 months.
I can say that is does not get very dusty nor does it deform.
I used the K&N spray kit, cleaned it good after 15 thou. KMS.
Found minimal particle residue on the intake filter while cleaning it.
Mostly driven in dry/wet summer months. Was convinced that
the filter should not need cleaning at least until 6 months. jmo.

civic hatch boi
12-16-2002, 10:23 PM
As for spending "top dollar" on my ride. I'm going to spend the "smartest" dollar on it instead. I don't need $600 exhausts when a custom $150 will do the same, and I certainly don't need to be told that filters off of Ebay are crap (especially since you've obviously personally done the research to verify as such).

once again, ur lack of debating relevance amuses me... how can you compare something going INTO the car with waste that flows OUT the car... when you eat food, dont u wanna eat good food? but when you krap it out, you krap out krap, not good food rite?
hence a GOOD intake is necessary to input clean air, which the exhaust simply exits the air, clean or not.

jo3y
12-16-2002, 11:03 PM
Ok what about the freaks like me who bought the megan intake just for the pipe and upgraded the filter, hoseclamps, and tubing? I spent just over 60 dollars on my setup and i have a real nice big K&N CYLINDER filter - even bigger than the cone K&N that comes with Injen, AEM, ect. My ride sounds real nice and ive noted impressive gains in acceleration. IMO i have just as much quality intake as an AEM or Injen and i paid 1/3 the price.

No mandrel bent piece of tubing is worth $120 no matter how much engineering went into the amount of bends, degree of bends, of fancy paint job.

- megan racing intake tube
- RE-0910 K&N 'racing use only' cylinder filter element
- heavy duty hose clamps from hardware store

No, i dont trust a $30 dollar intake from ebay as is. Yes, I trust a 30 dollar portion of intake from ebay with someone who knows what they're doing and knows what to upgrade.

I hope ive confused everyone