PDA

View Full Version : Warantee on my SI

OriginalName52
12-06-2002, 08:58 PM
Hey everyone! This is my first post here, I've been lurking for about 2 weeks because the damn automated system wouldn't send a confirmation email to any of the free email accounts I had submitted, and I couldn't post. ARRGHH. Ok now I feel _much_ better :)

I had some questions about my car (Just bought a new Si 02 White). I want to drop the car 2". I found some H&R springs from optauto to do just that, but I was wondering if I can _just_ install that, or if I need to also replace the shocks? Also, forgive my ignorance because I am a complete modding virgin... but are coilovers just an additional piece so that you can adjust how much drop you have? In other words I wouldn't find coilovers on a normal suspension?

Ok second...
I found some rims that i'm in love with, but they are kind of expensive (Volk Racing Gram Light's, white). I was originally going to go with a Plus 2 setup, 17" rims, but I'm thinking if I'm going to spend THAT much $$$ on them, I don't want to risk going that big for fear of cracking them... So now I'm leaning torward the 16" version. Comments?

Third:
Our chassis type is EP or EP3? Or is that the same thing? (Told you I'm newb)

Fourth:
This is what I was referring to in my subject line...
What kind of mods can I do to my car so that I will _not_ void my warantee for the time being? I'd like to run my car 10k miles or so just to be sure that there was no bad parts or anything... With that philosophy in mind, this is the modding path I'm thinking about:
16" Volk's with 205/50 ZR16 (tire brand/type undecided)
blue lug nuts
drop myself 2 inches
Mugen Body Kit (piecemeal, probably get the hood first)
Possibly some blue brake calipers if I can find them
by then I should have hit 10k, so I'll start probably get the AEM CAI (Blue :) ), then a header etc

What you guys think? Sorry for the wretchedly long post, but like I said been lurking for a while without the ability to post! :) Thanks for all your help.

-O

modern-perf
12-07-2002, 10:59 AM
Welcome, oh long-winded one...

1. No need to replace your struts...the springs will be fine. Coilovers have adjustable spring perches to allow raising or lowering the car. Most "coilovers" you see are actually junk. True coilovers are very expensive. If you plan to raise and lower your car all the time you should consider them, otherwise stick to the springs. H&R are good springs. I have Progress on my car (also from Options.)

2. 17s are fine as long as you go with a 215/40 tire to keep your rolling diameter the same and therefore not screwing up your gear ratios and effectively slowing your car down. If you choose the 16s (I'm sure they're cheaper) then you need the 205/50 tire. Either way rubbing is not a problem with a 2" drop.

3. EP3, but I am sure using just EP will not result in flaming.

4. The AEM header is 50 state legal and sold by many Honda dealers. They offered me one when I bought mine (at a ridiculous $449 price tag!) Your warranty is not void just by installing that. Headers too. And rolling stock/springs won't make a bit of difference unless you blow a strut. Then the dealer may not honor the warranty since you modified the car. Most dealers know that tuners are out there and the cars are going to be modded. Just use common sense. Don't install Type R cams or a turbo and expect Honda to fix your blown up K20A3!

Hope this helps!