PDA

View Full Version : OEM Alarm VS Custom

smapzy
07-16-2002, 08:52 AM
Does anyone here have purchase or install an OEM alarm (not the keyless entry)? If you did, are they any good? Because, for the price of an OEM, I could go out and buy myself a custom (Viper or Clifford), any suggestions?

SBC31
07-16-2002, 09:00 AM
Use a search to find answers on this topic

Sooky
07-16-2002, 12:10 PM
i'm debating about this too....

from the description, the oem one only has door and trunk sensors. costs 120 at http://www.discount-hondaparts.com/cgi-bin/cp-app.cgi?usr=694&pg=store&sub_pg=prod&ref=540

the thing w/ aftermarket alarms is that it could void the warranty on electrical stuff, but they work so much better.

Mr.02BlackSIguY
07-16-2002, 05:45 PM
i have the OEM one... i didnt want it because i wanted an aftermarket one. but to keep my warrantee, i had to get the OEM one. its not THAT bad though.. its a KARR alarm, i heard they are pretty alright. not as good as Vipers and ish though. the OEM alarm sounds like a freaking roadrunner... BEEP BEEP when pressing unlock/lock.

SmoothOperator
07-16-2002, 06:10 PM
I had an OEM alarm in my EG until it got broken into. Then I ran out and got a Clifford.

With an OEM alarm...anyone can break into your car without setting it off, unless they open the doors, or hatch. Those bastards managed to get my window down...then they passed my sub-box, amp, 6X9s, and everything else through the window. I'd recommend something with a broken glass sensor...perhaps even a proximity alarm.

i-WERKS
07-17-2002, 05:42 AM
with aftermarket alarms, it's easy to just pop the hood and cut the wire going to alarm horn. It's usually the first thing you see when you pop the hood and it only has two wires going to it. If you cut either one of them, the alarm will go dead. As for the OEM alarm, It'll be harder to locate the horn. That's why I would prefer the OEM alarm.