PDA

View Full Version : Naturally Aspirated

OriginalName52
12-07-2002, 08:38 AM
A naturally aspirated engine is one that does not have forced induction via a turbo charger? Is this correct?

And do turbo chargers shorten the life of your car?

Thanks!

-O

ssvr6
12-07-2002, 08:47 AM
Naturally aspirated is an engine that doesn't benefit from any power added. Turbo, Supercharger, or nitrous.

All hp modifications shorten the life of the car. That's why it's important to keep an eye on your car and get into a rigorous maintenace schedule.

Steve

!@#$%
12-07-2002, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by ssvr6
Naturally aspirated is an engine that doesn't benefit from any power added. Turbo, Supercharger, or nitrous.

All hp modifications shorten the life of the car. That's why it's important to keep an eye on your car and get into a rigorous maintenace schedule.

Steve

steve always gives good advice. be sure to listen to him, he's a wise man.

myeverlovinsir
12-07-2002, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by !@#$%

steve always gives good advice. be sure to listen to him, he's a wise man.

ditto.;)

ssvr6
12-07-2002, 09:22 PM
<elvis voice>Thank ya, thank ya very much!</elvis voice>

;)

Steve

pocketrocket
12-08-2002, 11:32 AM
Steve's right, but don't let HP scare you. Shorten the life of the engine doesn't mean you'll have a blown engine at 50k miles, but it means that you'll have to make more repairs and your engine may not last 500,000 miles.

Also, whenever running forced induction, make sure everything is in tip-top shape. And you always use high-octane gas. Otherwise you very well may have a blow engine sooner than 50k miles.

-PR

Jpax
12-08-2002, 11:39 AM
i LOVE THE PSSSSSSSHHHHHHHH SOUND turbos make as there going by me very fast :'(

natesi
12-08-2002, 01:48 PM
I can see where a CAI might shorten the life of an engine because it could possibly be running more lean...

But how does a header and midpipe replacement shorten the life of an engine? If anything, I'd think it would make it run better and last longer. Same with lightweight rims and flywheel. Same with the Hondata heatshield gasket--that shouldn't hurt anything that I know of.

I'm not disputing what you're saying, maybe I just don't understand.

IceD out N CALI
12-08-2002, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by PaXiE
i LOVE THE PSSSSSSSHHHHHHHH SOUND turbos make as there going by me very fast :'(

yeah they do have a nice sound:)

ssvr6
12-08-2002, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by natesi
I can see where a CAI might shorten the life of an engine because it could possibly be running more lean...

But how does a header and midpipe replacement shorten the life of an engine? If anything, I'd think it would make it run better and last longer. Same with lightweight rims and flywheel. Same with the Hondata heatshield gasket--that shouldn't hurt anything that I know of.

I'm not disputing what you're saying, maybe I just don't understand.

The engineers created the engine to run at certain specs. Those specs are what are used when determining the life of the car. The more power you add (no matter how you do it) causes strain on the engine that the engineers didn't anticipate.

The point is, all hp mods cause damage in some way shape or form. But again, an intake isn't going to destroy a car in 6 months. Like I said, when you start modding, there are responsibilites that come with it. Just be mindful of what you're doing. Simple as that.

Steve

Max
12-08-2002, 03:56 PM
Intake will never destroy your engine. Cold air intake, headers, and catback let your engine breath better and your engine will less longer with these moods, our cars were designed for these moods. The better our engine breaths the better it works, and the longer it lives. It's a proven fact.

IceD out N CALI
12-08-2002, 03:59 PM
minor mods like intake header exhaust are harmless to an engine-only way it would be harmful is if u suck up water and hydrolock the engine in an intake setup

Max
12-08-2002, 04:16 PM
Yep. That's the only way you can harm your engine.

02blksi
12-08-2002, 05:57 PM
"The engineers created the engine to run at certain specs. Those specs are what are used when determining the life of the car. The more power you add (no matter how you do it) causes strain on the engine that the engineers didn't anticipate.

The point is, all hp mods cause damage in some way shape or form. But again, an intake isn't going to destroy a car in 6 months. Like I said, when you start modding, there are responsibilites that come with it. Just be mindful of what you're doing. Simple as that."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Im sorry but thats not true at all.. Making more power DOES not shorten the life of youor engine. If anything you are helping an engine breather better expel gases better. Ie work less. What you are doing is NOT ADDING POWER by doing the basics I/H/E you are uncorking power that is already there. You are merly giving your engine full potential. There are alot of reasons why cars dont come fully tuned from the factory, number one issue that prevents this is"emissions" its very hard for honda to keep their cars they produce LEV or ULEV vehicles, unofrtunantly in order to reach this performance suffers. Moding your car as far as "bolt ons" keeping your car NA (with the exception of adding NOS or turbo/sc.) is a GREAT way to boost your whp leve. Engine life will not be affected. Abuse Misuse and stupidity will.

forced induction is a whole different ball game, this is where you can run into some trouble with your car. I speak from experinece. Honda engies ARE GREAT, man i could tell you stories of multiple times i was pushing my car with boost spikes on the highway getting near 15 psi EGT's in the upper 1000deg ranges and the car survived, misshifts when boosting, spraying to early in rpm range. ETC... Honda makes great engins plan and simple, from the factory they are more than able to support a modest dose of n20 or boost level. Shit, honda participates in F1, there engines are turbod beasts. they know what they are doing. Some common sense and some safety precautions along with rigorous maintenece will keep your boosted honda engine running for the life of your car. IMO --Joe. :)

ssvr6
12-08-2002, 10:24 PM
Well, we're all entitled to our own opinions. So if I gain, let's say 20 hp from IHE. If I just sprayed for 20 hp, what's the difference? Adding more power is adding more power. Sure, you're going from breathing better to burning more fuel, but you'd be burning more gas with IHE as well.

My point is this, ALL mods will wear on something. I'm sorry, it's true. Engines are wearing all of the time. The more power they make, the faster these parts are going to wear. It's basic math.
(Even though we might be talking about fractions of fractions on the grand scheme of things.) My point was a generalization.

Steve

Jpax
12-08-2002, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by ssvr6
Well, we're all entitled to our own opinions. So if I gain, let's say 20 hp from IHE. If I just sprayed for 20 hp, what's the difference? Adding more power is adding more power. Sure, you're going from breathing better to burning more fuel, but you'd be burning more gas with IHE as well.

My point is this, ALL mods will wear on something. I'm sorry, it's true. Engines are wearing all of the time. The more power they make, the faster these parts are going to wear. It's basic math.
(Even though we might be talking about fractions of fractions on the grand scheme of things.) My point was a generalization.

Steve

Thats what i think as well, SOME thing is going to wear more then other things.

its all about jsut taken care of the car and watching it as it matures into a wondefull woman with big brestasessss....... and has the Getty Up to make you want her even more. uhhh,, have to go wake up the wife now ;)

02blksi
12-09-2002, 06:41 PM
"So if I gain, let's say 20 hp from IHE. If I just sprayed for 20 hp, what's the difference? Adding more power is adding more power"

READ carefully what you have said, you answered your own question.

By I/H/E you are "gaining" power

By spraying a 20 shot of n20 you are "adding" power..

Its the method to which you achieve your horsepower that causes strain on the engine, in one scenario you are "unlocking" hidden power... In the other scenario you are "Forcing 20 more horses" ... the later method is what puts more stress on the internals of the engine, the former does not. IMO - but yes you are entitled to your own opinion.... -Joe. :)

EDIT:
Note, the only way you can damage an engine with modifications is thru the use of power adders like boost or thru a chemical explosion (N20)... What these do is create a situation in which the engine internals are stressed, making your internals work harder. The basic I/H/E do not ADD any more stress on an engine (if you have an idea of how combustion works you will see this more oxygen more power ) The engine internals do not suffer, because you arent putting anymore strain on the internals, basically the engine works less and achieves more, it operates more freely ... im sure you get the idea, no need to break it down further. --

ssvr6
12-09-2002, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by 02blksi
"So if I gain, let's say 20 hp from IHE. If I just sprayed for 20 hp, what's the difference? Adding more power is adding more power"

READ carefully what you have said, you answered your own question.

By I/H/E you are "gaining" power

By spraying a 20 shot of n20 you are "adding" power..

So what if I gained 20 hp from IHE and 20 hp from cams and timing adjustments? You're saying that there would be no added stress? Both are "bolt ons".

Its the method to which you achieve your horsepower that causes strain on the engine, in one scenario you are "unlocking" hidden power... In the other scenario you are "Forcing 20 more horses" ... the later method is what puts more stress on the internals of the engine, the former does not. IMO - but yes you are entitled to your own opinion.... -Joe. :)

I disagree again (you knew that was coming). Nitrous isn't considered Forced Induction since the atmospheric pressure never rises. It doesn't force anything. It's an accelerant. It truly "unlocks hidden power" buy burning fuel more quickly and lowering temperatures.

EDIT:
Note, the only way you can damage an engine with modifications is thru the use of power adders like boost or thru a chemical explosion (N20)... What these do is create a situation in which the engine internals are stressed, making your internals work harder. The basic I/H/E do not ADD any more stress on an engine (if you have an idea of how combustion works you will see this more oxygen more power ) The engine internals do not suffer, because you arent putting anymore strain on the internals, basically the engine works less and achieves more, it operates more freely ... im sure you get the idea, no need to break it down further. --

By increasing the hp the internals are working harder period. If I raise my compression through the roof and go all NA, do you think that there won' t be stress on the engine?

Go walking down the street, now jog, then run. The faster you go, the more it hurts, the more damage you're doing. This is (while lame) similar to what happens in any auto.

You make the engine spin faster, work harder (how ever small) and of course things will wear down more quickly.

My point is that all mods cause wear, but IHE won't cause anything that's noticeable. At least not unless you don't take care of your car at all. It's fractions of fractions.

Steve

02blksi
12-09-2002, 09:33 PM
STEVE dont make me LOCK this thread LOL :) jk.....

We will leave it at "im entitled to my own opinion and you as well" LOL ahhaha --Joe. ;)