PDA

View Full Version : spooling noise after test pipe install

smykhaisouk
06-26-2010, 04:29 PM
i just installed a test pipe bought off ebay and it sounds great! while sitting i can rev it up and everything sounds normal but as soon as i start driving off at normal speeds, i'll get a sort of turbo spool sound. this only happens while im accelerating. im guessing it could be an exhaust leak but i installed new gaskets on both ends of the test pipe and triple checked everything to be sure it was secured. is it supposed to sound like this? i have 138k on the motor and stock everything except for the test pipe.

Twisted-X
06-26-2010, 05:17 PM
I get sort of a "whooshing" noise between say 800 and 4000 RPMs with my DCRH, asked about it here and Talon said it was normal. :shrug:
Above 4k I can't hear it due to the exhaust volume. :mbiggrin:

smykhaisouk
06-27-2010, 11:14 AM
it drives normal but sure doesnt sound normal. anyone else have this sound?

smykhaisouk
06-27-2010, 11:14 AM
and yeah those exhaust fumes are heavy!

RedSiBaron
06-27-2010, 12:04 PM
could you have a leak at some point? gasket not properly sealing...if its not that then id say everything is normaly and you arent used to it

smykhaisouk
06-27-2010, 01:12 PM
yeah i got out there and checked all the bolts again and they seem good. i hope this is normal

smykhaisouk
06-27-2010, 01:30 PM
for some reason im only getting this leaky woohsing sound while im accelerating at all rpms but when im sittin at a stop, i can rev up to 5k and get no noise.

Twisted-X
06-27-2010, 07:41 PM
I wonder if it has to do with the ECU giving the car more cam and ignition advance (+fuel) when the engine is under load? I.E. more exhaust flow...

talonXracer
06-28-2010, 05:02 AM
The exhuast flow out of the Kseries will generate a spooling type sound with most exhaust systems. Standard engine design has the header at the front of the engine and it makes "2" 90 degree bends, whereas the "K"series is basically a straight shot in comparison. This is also one of the reason why the stock exhaust is a double-walled construction.

smykhaisouk
06-29-2010, 11:03 AM
did i mention its a test pipe with stock intake and stock exhaust? twisted x, you got me thinkin about your theory since its only whooshing during acceleration. i cant get it to whoosh at a stop even if i rev to 5k. if it was an exhaust leak, shouldnt i notice the sound during both stop and acceleration?

RedSiBaron
06-29-2010, 11:14 AM
did i mention its a test pipe with stock intake and stock exhaust? twisted x, you got me thinkin about your theory since its only whooshing during acceleration. i cant get it to whoosh at a stop even if i rev to 5k. if it was an exhaust leak, shouldnt i notice the sound during both stop and acceleration?

did you read talons response?