PDA

View Full Version : Suspension opinios on Ep3 type r

btf144
06-27-2010, 06:03 PM
hey guys, i've been feeling that the rear of my car is VERY bouncy these days. at high speed, if the road isn't completely flat, the car's all over the place. a friend of mine said that most probably the shock absorbers are dead. what would you guys suggest i replace these with? i'm looking for something equivalent or better than the oem ep3r's suspension, and it'd be nice if it was cheaper as well. thanks a lot

powdbyrice
06-27-2010, 09:59 PM
mugen SS or progress coilovers. both are ~$1000USD.

btf144
06-30-2010, 05:42 AM
that's way out of my budget. any other suggestions? i've seen some makes like tokico that sell the blue shocks for example, how do these compare to OEM and the ones you mentioned?

lbk02si
06-30-2010, 06:26 AM
that's way out of my budget. any other suggestions? i've seen some makes like tokico that sell the blue shocks for example, how do these compare to OEM and the ones you mentioned?

just cut your stock springs and call it a day..... :tehehyper:

powdbyrice
06-30-2010, 12:42 PM
DC5 A-spec or type-r suspension? probably can find a set used for a decent price.

LLH
06-30-2010, 12:51 PM
tokico hp blues are better than blown stock shocks, but not better than new stock shocks.. I got the tkocko shocks on the rear of my car now, and im not impressed at all. Kw v2 next :)

2k3hatchie
06-30-2010, 12:58 PM
DC5 A-spec kit can be found brand new for $600, you need to run DC5 tie rods, and grind down the lower mount on the rears to run em though.

PatrickJamesYu
06-30-2010, 01:10 PM
If youre looking to upgrade with out a huge price jump I'd go with Koni Yellows, or Tokico's. If you just want oem replacements try some of the KYB's. I know they have a replacement shock series. Pretty low in price. Heard they ride like oem, with a tiny bit more durability, but I've never ridden in them.

btf144
07-24-2010, 07:36 PM
any link for the KYB's? the weird thing is whenever i look up shocks for the ep3, like tokico or koni's, they specify that it's for the 02-05 ep3 (excluding type r). does it not fit then? Do these KYB's perform better than the stocks handling wise? will i need to get new springs?

Hasbro
07-24-2010, 08:25 PM
any link for the KYB's? the weird thing is whenever i look up shocks for the ep3, like tokico or koni's, they specify that it's for the 02-05 ep3 (excluding type r). does it not fit then? Do these KYB's perform better than the stocks handling wise? will i need to get new springs?
I'm not advocating them but here you go:
http://www.kyb-europe.com/catalogue.asp

I would suggest you inquire here:
http://www.civictype-r.co.uk/forum/index.php?sid=cbeac7c746d6ac20e0b0287e74a8b4fc

hondaguy92129
07-24-2010, 11:14 PM
I was going to say I have some oem 04 shocks/struts laying around and I'm willing to ship but I don't think it's worth it to lebanon lol

ummmm the raceland coilovers are very popular here, look in the suspension forum I think the thread on them is like 15+ pages. Also they are only about $300.

btf144
07-25-2010, 10:44 AM
well what i want is better handling, while maintaining daily-drivability. i also want a set that will last, i wouldn't want to buy a set of shocks or coilovers that i'll have to replace in a few months. so what do you guys think, tokico, koni, or kyb shocks (with stock springs if possible, or something not too low) or the raceland coilovers?

PatrickJamesYu
07-25-2010, 09:38 PM
In my opinion Koni.

I've been on tokico blues which are good for the price.
But they are not adjustable.
I personally haven't been on KYB's
but I am on Koni Yellows right now
Good stuff.
I love em
and adjustable

powdbyrice
07-25-2010, 11:29 PM
whatever happened to the tokico d-specs? they were hella popular for a while...

i thought tokico blues were basically OEM replacements, not really performance oriented...?

it just seems to me that tokico blues or koni yellows are a downgrade from the OEM type-r suspension. they might be an "upgrade" for the usdm ep, but not for a type-r.

Hasbro
07-25-2010, 11:33 PM
Most of us on this thread are from North America. Your stock shocks are much nicer than what we have for oem. 3/4" lower and stiffer, very nicely matched to your car. There's a reason Top Gear voted the CTR "Hot Hatch Of The Year" four years in a row. All you really need are two UKDM/EDM/JDM oem rear shocks. With your budget I'd rather have those than aftermarket springs, especially since your talking performance and daily driveability. You want to spend more then there are other alternatives. I have A-Specs but would rather have JDM DC5Rs or CTRs, they're all very good. For you it would be easier with UKDM/EDM, of course.

Tokicos and KYBs are really just fair quality. You get what you pay for with shocks/struts.

PatrickJamesYu
07-26-2010, 11:17 AM
i thought tokico blues were basically OEM replacements, not really performance oriented...?

You know so did I
And I still do
But MANY users out there who bought them for a drop, and say they're great
and that the blues were a necessity for the drop.
Many shops around here sell coilover sleeves with conjunction with the tokico blue shock combo.
I know they are sitffer but I thought they valved like OEM, and weren't really intended for a drop.
But they are definitelly part of the budget route to lowering a vehicle.

firmk20
07-26-2010, 06:04 PM
DC5 A-spec kit can be found brand new for $600, you need to run DC5 tie rods, and grind down the lower mount on the rears to run em though.

what he said

btf144
08-17-2010, 03:08 AM
Most of us on this thread are from North America. Your stock shocks are much nicer than what we have for oem. 3/4" lower and stiffer, very nicely matched to your car. There's a reason Top Gear voted the CTR "Hot Hatch Of The Year" four years in a row. All you really need are two UKDM/EDM/JDM oem rear shocks. With your budget I'd rather have those than aftermarket springs, especially since your talking performance and daily driveability. You want to spend more then there are other alternatives. I have A-Specs but would rather have JDM DC5Rs or CTRs, they're all very good. For you it would be easier with UKDM/EDM, of course.

Tokicos and KYBs are really just fair quality. You get what you pay for with shocks/struts.

Have you any experience with KYB's? I've read on several occasions that they are equivalent and sometimes better than OEM. I even read that some type-r shocks are made by KYB themselves. 4 CTR shocks from the dealer here will cost me $1200, while the KYB's $410.

LLH
08-17-2010, 04:33 AM
CTR shocks are made by showa :)

Zzyzx
08-17-2010, 08:11 AM
well what i want is better handling, while maintaining daily-drivability. i also want a set that will last, i wouldn't want to buy a set of shocks or coilovers that i'll have to replace in a few months. so what do you guys think, tokico, koni, or kyb shocks (with stock springs if possible, or something not too low) or the raceland coilovers?

Better handling + Drivability? Then go Koni or Bilstien. Emphasis on Bilstien.

also, do your self and your car a favor and pick up a camber kit for the front end at least. And then get a good, non OEM, alignment.

jed_averill
08-17-2010, 09:08 AM
I was going to say I have some oem 04 shocks/struts laying around and I'm willing to ship but I don't think it's worth it to lebanon lol

ummmm the raceland coilovers are very popular here, look in the suspension forum I think the thread on them is like 15+ pages. Also they are only about $300.

I actually saw a guy say Ground Control coilovers are waaay better than Raceland coilovers but the price difference of about $60. GC being the more expensive one ofcourse.

Zzyzx
08-17-2010, 09:33 AM
I actually saw a guy say Ground Control coilovers are waaay better than Raceland coilovers but the price difference of about $60. GC being the more expensive one ofcourse.

from a performance stand point, Ground controls + a good damper would be a better option then pretty much any pre-built "coilover" option.

From a I just want to buy something that works well enough and slap it on my car... well then the GC + Damper rount becomes to complex.

btf144
09-24-2010, 05:40 AM
sorry to bump the thread, but im still a suspension newbie and want to ask this: if the car is lower in the front, will it have better traction launching from a standstill, or will it be unnoticeable? I have a k24a2/k20a that i got running recently, and thought maybe i don't want springs that lower the rear more than the front because of this reason.