PDA

View Full Version : scary experience

ep3colin
06-28-2010, 12:16 AM
its late, approximately 3 am last night. Im heading home from my friends house when i decide to take the freeway home, ofcourse im driving along as its pretty dead and im doing about 70ish as something comes into the road and i swerve last second ( raccoon or something ) ended up going onto the shoulder and slid sideways for i dont even know how far, one car passed me and i got back up to speed as my heart just jumped out of my chest, my car was thumping hard so i thought i bent something of that matter, got home and checked and i ended up putting huge f'ing bald spots on all 4 tires, sweeeeet

raccoon:+1

colin= -4

anyone have a scary experience while they were driving late night while exhausted?

LouisianaEP3
06-28-2010, 06:42 AM
I've fallen asleep at the wheel before from driving all day. For all of about 3 minutes as I can figure. Scary.

CuStOmMaDe
06-28-2010, 07:07 AM
I hate falling asleep driving those long blinks and were wondering how did I get here just scary

beechstreet
06-28-2010, 07:45 AM
When I lived with my parents out in the boonies I had to drive 30 minutes on a road through forested mountains to get to work everyday. I usually drove home after midnight and had a fair share of close calls with the wild life. Most notable times include: 1. almost hitting a deer and doing a 780 in the middle of the road in my thunderbird with shitty tires. 2. while driving my mom's tahoe at like 1am, a herd of at least 20 wild boar appeared in my headlights. no way of avoiding them so I just smashed on the gas hoping to plow through them. dont know how but i didnt hit a single one. good thing that tahoe had so much clearance under it. if i was in the ep3 it would have been game over. 3. almost hit head on from the opposite direction by a lifted truck hauling a boat. guess the driver of the truck was falling asleep or not paying attention because he was coming straight at me in my lane! good thing the ep3 can handle off road because I had to literally drive into a ditch to avoid that crash.

widebodyeg
06-28-2010, 11:32 AM
ive had 3, all on the same freeway... first i was going west on the 60 to work and i hit something i couldnt avoid and it put a hole in my gas tank...that sucked and was definitely scary...second, on the same freeway, i had a tire blow out, messed up the passenger side pretty good..and lastly, going east on the 60, some jerk dropped a fire hose, i think, it had huge brass fittings on each end, well of course, i tried to avoid it but like always, i couldn't , i hit it with my front driver side wheel, bent the lip really bad and messed up my brand new tire...i try to avoid the 60 as much as i can...

RedSiBaron
06-28-2010, 11:48 AM
I was once driving to my parents house late and was approaching the last stop sign before their house (was still like 200ft out) and some drunk guy in an f350 blows the 4 way stop turns left head on towards me half in my lane...

...i had to dump my 86si straight into a field ditch to keep from getting hit head on by an f350...

luckily another f350 full of drunk people came by soon after (i mean they had people in the bed and everything) and put their chain onto my front tow hook and drug me out...no damage to the car short of a couple scrapes on the exhaust...I got very lucky

kprocivic
06-28-2010, 01:15 PM
i have never fell asleep at the wheel, but i was super tired and spaced out one night. i don't know what i was thinking but i thought the ep had 6 spds, push the clutch shift to reverse it doesnt engage im like wtf, why wont my car go in gear. i try again still no engagement then i snap out of it and realize i was trying to shift into reverse going 80 on the freeway. good thing i never released the clutch could been a terrible situation. anyway i never drive past 3am after that one. and till this day friends still give me shit about that, they were driving behind me that night.

ttttrigg3r
06-28-2010, 02:03 PM
ooh falling asleep stories. i fell asleep couple of times driving a hmmv in the sand in fort irwin. ahh good times

Mighty_Mouse_Ep
06-28-2010, 02:13 PM
I was once driving to my parents house late and was approaching the last stop sign before their house (was still like 200ft out) and some drunk guy in an f350 blows the 4 way stop turns left head on towards me half in my lane...

...i had to dump my 86si straight into a field ditch to keep from getting hit head on by an f350...

luckily another f350 full of drunk people came by soon after (i mean they had people in the bed and everything) and put their chain onto my front tow hook and drug me out...no damage to the car short of a couple scrapes on the exhaust...I got very lucky

Are you sure it wasnt the same f350 that helped pull you out maybe they felt bad about leaving you in a ditch

RedSiBaron
06-28-2010, 02:24 PM
Are you sure it wasnt the same f350 that helped pull you out maybe they felt bad about leaving you in a ditch

ya totally different truck, they came from a different direction, and the one that almost hit me didnt have a load of drunk ugly redneck women in the back...only 1 guy in the truck that almost hit me

johnkimble
06-28-2010, 02:25 PM
i swerved to avoid a fox on a country road and rolled my truck several times. broke the driverside window with my head. that sucked.

i'll never swerve around an animal in the road again. i will plow through it and deal with the damage/guilty conscience.

ep3colin
06-28-2010, 02:33 PM
i honestly would of rather ruined my front bumper than spinning out and almost hitting a barrier, plus now i need new tires, my life just keeps getting better and better

Heitzke
06-28-2010, 03:15 PM
I always just try to slow down as much as possible, I've hit several animals over the years (all in the EP).

-1 adult deer - broke passenger headlight, kinked fender
-1 baby deer - no damage, it went spiraling off the road
-1 armadillo - I was still stock at the time so I just lined up between the wheels and plowed it over
-1 little dog - chipped paint, but broke its leg.
-1 bird - deflected off my hood on the highway

Twisted-X
06-28-2010, 04:51 PM
I came home from work one night about midnight and was driving down a downhill road at about 45 mph and when I got to the bottom I thought I saw something black. By the time I realized it was a black lab the only thing I could do was hammer the brakes, but I forgot to clutch. Four wheel slide to a stalled diesel stop.:mredface: Luckily by the time I got to him I wasn't going very fast and my J-body had plastic bumpers so all he just did a little 360 and ran off. I woke up several people swearing up a storm. :mmad:

I also tried to straddle a woodchuck in the J-body and failed miserably. He ripped off the lower airdam and dented the gas tank. I looked in the rear view to see a bloody mess rolling down the road. Damned varmints...

saturnmodder
06-28-2010, 11:00 PM
I live in NE Tennessee, so plenty of wildlife in the roads here. Thankfully, I've been lucky so far. I've managed to avoid hitting any of the large animals that cross my path. However, the '95 Saturn I just sold attracted rabbits. I hit 4 in one night on a trip back from Georgia. They just kept running out in front of me, leaving me with no time to react. I hit somewhere around 12 rabbits in the time I owned the car.

The only time I've been in danger of falling asleep at the wheel was when I took my red and silver Saturn to a meet in Ohio (yes, Saturn meets do exist!). A friend and I took off at about midnight, and by the time I was passing through Columbus, he was passed out, and I wasn't too far behind. Luckily, I caught myself dosing and pulled off to find a hotel.

The closest I've come to dying in a car was right after a fight with my ex-girlfriend. I'd driven about 30 minutes after getting off work at 1 AM to pick her up from a party. To make matters worse, I had to be back at work at 10:00 the next morning. So I got there, we chilled for about 30 minutes, then I said, "Alright, we need to go, I gotta get up early." To which she responded, "Well, I think I'm just gonna stay here tonight." After she followed me out the door and started yelling at me, I got in my '97 Miata, and RAISED HELL back to my house. A drive that normally takes ~30 minutes took me literally 15 minutes that night. I was raging with anger, went around a curve doing about 80, hit a slight dip in the road, the rear-end broke loose, and it felt like I slid for about 30 seconds (less than 2 seconds in reality, I'm sure), as my life passed in front of my eyes, haha. I don't know how, but I got it straightened out and moved on, but that was by far the scariest moment I've had in a car.

mondos
06-29-2010, 07:10 AM
numerous pigeons have seen the underside of my ep with not the best ending

ep3k20
06-30-2010, 03:01 PM
your techincally not supposed to veer out of your lane for animals that run in front of you, had you caused an accident, you would have been at fault unfortunatly, glad you didnt tho :). but on the downside my wife and i were driving down i-25 one day in her 00' accord like 4 years ago and there was a window A/C unit just chilling in the lane. the car in front of us darted out of the way so by the time i saw it i had no choice but to hit because to the left lane was a truck and the right was the shoulder which had no room for our car so i had to hit it. i literally made our car jump off the ground and ripped the CAT completley off, ruined the engine oil pan and destoyed her alignment. needless to say our insurance covered it and no one was hurt...had i hit it in either my si or mustang almost 100% certain i would have wrecked that shit

dirtyduck17
06-30-2010, 09:49 PM
I once ran down a california condor that was chowing down on a spotted owl in the middle of the road. Luckily I had just installed my baby seal skin front bra on my EP.

03NorVa
07-01-2010, 07:39 AM
i was drivin home one night in my 64' impala, nah not really, it was an 05' but i was on the way home from my x's house at like 3:45 am after working all day before and going to the beach all night, and fell asleep. when i woke up i was about 2 feet from the wall on the right side of the road. i had 2 choices, take the 25mph ramp @ 65 (cruise control) in an impala, or try to get back to the interstate before the exit sign can cut me off. needless to say i chose option 2. BARELY made it past the exit sign, but hit a curb in the process (idk why there was a curb there, but there was) turned sharp to the right and the back tires broke loose, fishtail and come within 5' of demolishing the back end of the car on the wall on the left side now, spin around 540 degrees and stop in the middle of the interstate in the wrong direction, im still half asleep, and try to start the car while its in drive (automatic) and im like WTF why wont it start?! get out push the car onto the side of the road. finally realize its still in drive. put it in park, drove the extra 1/2 mile to my exit, and went home. i bent the front passenger rim when i hit the curb and put slight bald spots on all four tires. scary as shit tho

SI in GA
07-02-2010, 11:11 AM
When I had a Pontiac Grand Am I fell asleep at the wheel. I went off the right side of the road hit two road markers, slid down an embankment while car was spinning a three sixty. There was traffic around me, they were nice enough to slow watch me spin out and stop to make sure I was ok. Car had mud and grass caked in the rims and under carriage. Hood was dented from hitting the markers. But other than that I was fine. I learn a lesson, on four day passes don’t travel from Kansas to GA and back. This was more than a decade ago, I’m a little wiser now when making driving decisions.

Nicotine
07-02-2010, 02:41 PM
recently i've had to dodge all the truck tires that are blown up all over the highways.

in the new Si, a car ahead of me hit a HUGE piece, which hurled it in my direction. i switched lanes VERY quickly (i knew there was no one around, it was LATE and i always spot my mirrors...but you do never know)

it was extremely close....it half ripped off her front bumper when she hit it and who knows what else it did...

if all you ended up with was 4 dead tires - you still walked away with the car intact too. that's pretty good!