PDA

View Full Version : Looking for alarm suggestions

lbk02si
06-28-2010, 07:59 AM
like the title says, i'm looking for new alarm suggestions. I've been using my current Autopage alarm for years, its pretty basic and here in the next few months i'm going to be upgrading the egg a lot and i want a new alarm. alarms are something i'm pretty much clueless on, so i'm looking for suggestions on brands and components to get installed with the alarm system. i would like to preface this by saying, i am completely willing to spend good money if it gets me a damn good alarm and some piece of mind. the only thing i know for sure of that i want is the pager key fob thing, so let me know what you think i should get?

T_Virus
06-28-2010, 12:28 PM
now adays, majority of the alarms can do the same thing...LCD w/paging, more outputs etcs.. But, alarms are just alarms, doesn't guarantee the safety of your car not getting broken into...

But anyways...look for something that is made by DEI (directed) like Clifford, viper, etc.

lbk02si
06-28-2010, 05:30 PM
yea, i agree with you. but alarms do DETER people, they don't stop them. i'm just doing everything i can to deter anyone interested.

lil_Eggy
06-29-2010, 01:41 PM
i have a compustar alarm and have no complaints....other than the range is way less than advertised, but i think this is common for most systems

introvert
06-29-2010, 02:22 PM
yea, i agree with you. but alarms do DETER people, they don't stop them. i'm just doing everything i can to deter anyone interested.

Yeah, that's about the best you can do. I spoke with an alarm/audio installer a couple of months back who gave me a rundown on security. (He has an FA5, and we both happen to live in downtown) He said he was super paranoid after first buying his car new. He started installing additional batteries, two and then three relays/bypasses.. His car still ended up getting stolen. Bottom line is, if they want it, they're going to get it.

Due diligence, a decent deterrent and common sense is about the best you can do. Whichever alarm you go with, make sure it has shock sensors. Tune it so that it isn't so sensitive that a Harley passing by will set it off, but sensitive enough that it'll at least chirp if someone tries to open the door handle. Anything else is gravy and personal preference.

Again, it's all about common sense. Always lock your car, double check that you have, roll windows ALL the way up. Avoid leaving your car in the street, never leave anything in plain sight - such as ipods, wallets, laptops, cameras, dollars, etc. Be careful about where you leave your car over night. It's tough if you live in a bad area though.

LOVIN MY EP3
06-29-2010, 08:28 PM
There's a new alarm that viper came out with that has a app. on your phone that you can lock and unlock, and start your car anywhere... I currently have the viper 5901 with tilt sensor, back up battery, and i can roll up and roll down my windows too and check the temp inside my car its pretty sweet but I still get paranoid parking my car on the street