PDA

View Full Version : Time for new rotors, but which?!

nonamealr
06-28-2010, 09:39 PM
Ok so i replaced my rear brake pads last saturday, and now after driving for a while, I've come to the realization that my rotors are more than likely warped... So instead of getting them cut, I think i'll probably just replace them. I was looking at the stoptech slotted ones. I don't want a big brake kit, just a direct replacement that is a little bit of an upgrade to stock.
Also I'm planning on replacing the front ones too in the near future, was looking at the DBA 4000 Series Slotted for the fronts. Looks like they are a direct replacement, but not 100% sure, saw them on corsport.com. So any suggestions would help. Mainly need the rears first. Thanks in advance for the advice.:mbiggrin:

hondaguy92129
06-28-2010, 11:19 PM
Do you track the car or do auto-x or anything? If it's just street driven then blanks will be fine. I'm using Brembo blanks right now, no complaints so far but it's only been 1 day haha

nonamealr
06-29-2010, 03:06 PM
I don't track the car, it's a daily driver/want some extra goodies car lol. I just want a good replacement with a little bit of an upgrade from stock. It's gonna look a little funny if i get slotted rears before i get the slotted fronts hah. But oh well, i need the rears asap. Also don't wanna spend too much obviously.

Rasy
06-29-2010, 03:20 PM
I'd probably go with the Brembo blanks. I'm looking to get them sometime soon as well. I don't need slotted rotors because the last time I Auto-X was at least 2 years ago.

introvert
06-29-2010, 03:25 PM
I replaced all four pads and the front rotors all at the same time. For the rotors I went with EBC slotted and dimpled. They're a bit noisier than blanks. For a daily driver, they pretty much perform the same.

After a couple of months I noticed that my rear rotors (which I didn't replace) appear to be warped. Given that I've put probably 6k-8k on the pads, I'm now replacing the rear rotors and opted to replace the pads again since they've likely worn unevenly as well. I think if I had the choice to do it all over again, I'd go with EBC slotted.

I'd seriously suggest just waiting and saving (if possible) and doing all four wheels at once.

oneglory
06-29-2010, 04:17 PM
Centric

johnkimble
06-29-2010, 04:39 PM
i've had brembo blanks on the front for about two years. no complaints

Kerby
06-30-2010, 05:14 AM
dba.

have them on the Legacy with Hawk HPS.... very nice.

ep_hatcher_510
06-30-2010, 09:07 AM
Autozone blanks, rotors are all the same, so why pay more?

Boostedtaco
06-30-2010, 12:03 PM
Autozone blanks, rotors are all the same, so why pay more?
Yep. I just put Autozone blanks with some Hawk HPS and its a night and day difference.

powdbyrice
06-30-2010, 12:41 PM
i assume you're a 02-03 by your avy?

if not, why dont you switch to rsx-s rotors?

sbRR
06-30-2010, 12:55 PM
Sweet. I was also looking to replace my front rotors but I couldn't decide on which. Good thing there are some recommendations in here. Thanks!

nonamealr
06-30-2010, 09:51 PM
Ok so i've come to the decision to just get blanks for the rear. E auto parts by my house doesn't carry brembo blanks anymore, something about a lot of brembo stuff being made in china idk, whatever. So i'm getting the Zimmerman (german brand) blanks $38 each they said. So i'll be replacing them tomorrow once i get that damn phillips impact screwdriver tool... In future i'll get the ebc dba 4000 slotted for the front.

Are there any aftermarket brake pads that DON'T create more brake dust than stock and are not loud and perform better than oe AND last long? Or am I just imagining the perfect pad that doesn't exist? LOL. I know you can't have it all.:mcry:

hondaguy92129
06-30-2010, 10:28 PM
dang thats a tall order to fill haha.

well I am using Hawks HPS and they aren't loud and perform well but they do look like they have a bit more brake dust than the OEM pads. Also heard good things about EBC redstuff pads. According to their description they are supposed to have less brake dust and comparable stopping power to OEM.

Boostedtaco
07-01-2010, 08:22 AM
i assume you're a 02-03 by your avy?

if not, why dont you switch to rsx-s rotors?

What's the difference with rsx-s rotors? i have a 02. Bigger rotor?

introvert
07-01-2010, 09:27 AM
Hawk HPS here. Seems like less dust than stock pads to me

Rasy
07-01-2010, 02:06 PM
Same here. Though I tend to clean my car at least once a week.

Mighty_Mouse_Ep
07-01-2010, 04:35 PM
i notice with hawk hps pads i see less dust as well

hondaguy92129
07-01-2010, 06:35 PM
O.o well maybe I'm just noticing it more now haha Anyways Hawk pads are pretty good and yeah the rsx-s have bigger rotors

27rocks
07-01-2010, 07:09 PM
O.o well maybe I'm just noticing it more now haha Anyways Hawk pads are pretty good and yeah the rsx-s have bigger rotors

Only the fronts are bigger with a slightly larger caliper as well. The rears are all the same.

nonamealr
07-01-2010, 09:14 PM
Wouldn't I have to convert to 5 lug to use RSX-S rotors?

And my update is i installed the new Zimmerman rotors today, and now that horrible uneven rotor rubbing sound is gone. Just have the annoying brakes rubbing against the rotor sound. I'm guessing this will go away after the initial 100 mile bed in time correct?(Since it didn't with the old rotors, but that was there fault heh) I can't help thinking i didn't install the pads right or the retaining clips need to be replaced. But i'm pretty sure i'm ok... I'm still a beginner with the whole, do it yourself thing on cars so, yeah. So just to check the rear brakes don't have those clips that the pads just snap into like the front correct? They just sit on the rotor and are held in by the caliper and piston.

27rocks
07-03-2010, 09:18 AM
Wouldn't I have to convert to 5 lug to use RSX-S rotors?

And my update is i installed the new Zimmerman rotors today, and now that horrible uneven rotor rubbing sound is gone. Just have the annoying brakes rubbing against the rotor sound. I'm guessing this will go away after the initial 100 mile bed in time correct?(Since it didn't with the old rotors, but that was there fault heh) I can't help thinking i didn't install the pads right or the retaining clips need to be replaced. But i'm pretty sure i'm ok... I'm still a beginner with the whole, do it yourself thing on cars so, yeah. So just to check the rear brakes don't have those clips that the pads just snap into like the front correct? They just sit on the rotor and are held in by the caliper and piston.

For the RSX rotors yes you would need to go 5 lug... but the rears are all the same sizes weather its 5 lug or 4 lug. The fronts are the different size ones. And only the type-s ones are larger.. the base rsx is the same as the 04-05 ep (5lug).

As far as clips go i'm pretty sure the clips clip onto the calipers and then the pads are slid into them.

02_epdriver
07-06-2010, 12:28 PM
5 lug for rsx-s rotors and you need a 04-05 with a 5 lug to use the rear brembo blanks. They do not carry brembo blanks for the rear on 4 lug ep3's. I've looked because I have oem in the rear now and brembo blanks in the front.