PDA

View Full Version : Are all k-series belt tensioners the same?

POOPTOOTH
06-30-2010, 06:11 AM
Whats up guys, a few months ago I had been getting some tensioner rattle, as if the spring was beat. I never put a tq wrench on it, but I imagine it was shot. More recently here I purchased a auto tensioner off my buddy Mike on the forum, which he pulled from a k24 with unknown miles, it certainly looked fresher than the one I pulled off, but I got the same results, when pulling away or in low RPMs and a high gear the tensioner would rattle against the area circled in attached picture:

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m317/justdugan/Idlerpulley.jpg

I have tried a new belt with the same results. Just for reference I'm running an a2, with an EP crank pulley. Is there a difference between k-series tensioners? Or do I just need to stop being cheap and just buy a new one. Thanks in advance.

beechstreet
06-30-2010, 06:25 AM
I'm not sure about the tensioner itself, but I do know the tensioner pulley is the same for all the k-motors.

POOPTOOTH
06-30-2010, 06:36 AM
Yeah, that makes sense. I would also imagine the entire assembly is the same, as the bolt patern is identical. Unless there is something different within the inner-workings (spring rate), etc. Im guessing I should just purchase an A2 tensioner unit?

jh604
06-30-2010, 07:43 AM
In your picture, that is the idler pulley

POOPTOOTH
06-30-2010, 07:53 AM
In your picture, that is the idler pulley

Actually, you are correct. However if you look closely you can see the red circle, which is in fact, the auto tensioner.

It is at this exact point (circled in red) where the excess movement is causing it to rattle or slap.
:thumbu:

bchaney
06-30-2010, 09:18 AM
Compare part numbers?

talonXracer
06-30-2010, 09:51 AM
If the tensioner is slapping then either the belt or tensioner is faulty. If this is allowed to continue, then it will rip the idler bracket right off(TXR bracket eliminates this possibility).

Replace the tensioner with a new one, they have an approx 120K mile lifespan on a stock engine.

POOPTOOTH
06-30-2010, 10:01 AM
If the tensioner is slapping then either the belt or tensioner is faulty. If this is allowed to continue, then it will rip the idler bracket right off(TXR bracket eliminates this possibility).

Replace the tensioner with a new one, they have an approx 120K mile lifespan on a stock engine.

Thanks Doug. Would running an EP crank pulley and belt on an a2 have any ill effect, I.E. like the belt not being short enough for the tensioner to function properly?

Also, does your famous TalonXBrace prevent the tensioner slap?