PDA

View Full Version : Strange problem! Car bogging with bass. Please help!

Tortoise
07-01-2010, 01:12 AM
Im having a strange problem. I have a 15" kicker l7 runnin at 1200 watts rms. Just recently whenever im driving and my bass hits my car literally bogs and slows down. Feels like i turned the ac on. Everything seems to bog my car down recently. Even if if i turn my heat on with no ac it bogs. I know its not my battery. Did i fuck up my alternator? If so do they make more powerful ones? Also would a 2 farad cap help my problem cuz i have one layin around. Any advice woild help guys cuz its really annoying me!

shanewdude
07-01-2010, 05:54 AM
Have you checked to make sure your grounding points are clean and well connected?

Chad
07-01-2010, 07:50 AM
What final impedance are you loading the amp with?

introvert
07-01-2010, 08:58 AM
The whole car bogs down? A cap won't fix the problem. Checking the grounding would be a good start.

Tortoise
07-02-2010, 12:09 AM
Im running the amp at 1ohm. It is a 1ohm stable amp though. And ir could be the ground i just have it grounded under the back seats. Is there a better spot?

shanewdude
07-02-2010, 05:39 AM
How do you have it grounded? As long as there's metal to metal contact, it should be good. Maybe check your battery terminals and make sure they are clean and tight. Oh, and also, listen to Chad, he's an audio guru!

Chad
07-02-2010, 07:41 AM
Im running the amp at 1ohm. It is a 1ohm stable amp though. And ir could be the ground i just have it grounded under the back seats. Is there a better spot?

Take it to 4 ohms and see what happens, you may actually think it sounds better. Just try it and stop looking at numbers... look at REAL numbers.. like the one that dictates after taking power compression and amp efficiency losses into account you only gain about 2dB by going to 1 ohm, but you are completely pissing off your amplifier and your car's electrical system.

I'm stable to run a short distance with you on my back.. I don't wanna do it all day long.