PDA

View Full Version : 20CiviC02Si's FUNCTION > FORM Build

20CiviC02Si
07-01-2010, 05:34 PM
Hey guys! Well instead of buying an S2000 which i can barely fit into comfortably, or buying some other ridiculously overpriced car. I decided it's time for a real project. I have already started acquiring parts for this build.

Selling my K24a4 longblock and K24a2 head that i have lying around. The K20a2 trans that i have is getting dropped off to my good friend to have rebuilt. He's also trying to secure the shortblock i am basing this build on. It's a BRAND NEW K24a1 shortblock!!!

I was originally going to build the chassis and just stuff a K20a3 in it temporarily. Just so that i can get it out on the track for next year. Now that i know this K24a1 has a good chance of sitting in my shop. I no longer need the K20a3. I would be keeping the K24a2 head that i have, however a friend of mine wants it really bad. So i'll let him get it off me if he wants it.

So now i just need to find the chassis! The goal for the chassis is to make it as light as physically possible. Shooting for a goal of 1800lbs with motor. I'm looking for an EJ that is accident free and relatively clean. I want this chassis to be as straight as possible because it'll be receiving a cage shortly after it's road worthy.

The rest of what i need is just parts to complete the build. That will come with working overtime like i have been, and time.

Stay tuned for this build over winter it's going to be something SICK! :mwink:

GLAD TO BE BACK IN BUSINESS!!!!!!

K20wagon
07-01-2010, 07:02 PM
Subscribed for sure cause actually i am going to be doing the same thing. I am getting ready to buy an old EJ and swap a k24a1 in it. Its going to be my project car. I wont be buying the EJ till October and the k24 till February. But its going to be a fun build. But good luck with yours man.

20CiviC02Si
07-01-2010, 07:15 PM
Yeah it'll be a fun time. This time i'm going all out on the car. I won't be cheaping out nor worrying about what JDM parts i have on it. It'll be a fun race car once i'm finished.

RedSiBaron
07-01-2010, 08:44 PM
an EJ!?!?! you can get something lighter than that buddy

that said, i dont care what it is I am exciteds

20CiviC02Si
07-01-2010, 09:01 PM
I have yet to decide whether to go with an EJ for it's longer wheelbase or just opt for the lighter EG. Everyone has K swapped EGs, i wouldn't mind trying something a little different. Plus the EJs are far cheaper and less sought after than the EGs. Clean EGs are getting hard to come by.

K20wagon
07-01-2010, 09:09 PM
That is true, EG's are hard to come by today. I see them everywhere but people already own them and do not want to sell. Before I bought the EP I was actually looking for a EG and came out with no luck at all. I checked everywhere, hell I even checked in this salvage yard that has nothing but hondas and there was not 1 there. I asked and he said he had quite a bit but he already gave them up. It would be nice to come by a crx for a k project.

20CiviC02Si
07-01-2010, 09:11 PM
CRX isn't a prime canidate, solely because of it's shorter wheel base. I mean if you're running on tracks that are short and windy it'll work, and work well. However larger tracks like my home course, Road America. A longer wheel base is ideal for the higher speeds.

I haven't counted out DC2 Integras yet, i just don't like the theft rate of them.

RedSiBaron
07-01-2010, 09:12 PM
I have yet to decide whether to go with an EJ for it's longer wheelbase or just opt for the lighter EG. Everyone has K swapped EGs, i wouldn't mind trying something a little different. Plus the EJs are far cheaper and less sought after than the EGs. Clean EGs are getting hard to come by.

this is definitely true about EGs...those had shit metal on them being from that dark period of honda, so if people didnt trash them, rust did

20CiviC02Si
07-01-2010, 09:20 PM
That is why i'm leaning towards a southern DX coupe or 4 door. 4 door isn't much heavier, however it's far more rigid. There won't be much of an interior anyway when i'm done with it so it won't matter all that much.

20CiviC02Si
07-01-2010, 09:28 PM
I think i know where i'll be going to pick my chassis up. More like fly down and drive it back! That will be Las Vegas. I have been keeping track of their craigslist ads and let me tell you. I have never seen cleaner Honda Civics in my life! Ya desert!

K20wagon
07-01-2010, 09:30 PM
I think i know where i'll be going to pick my chassis up. More like fly down and drive it back! That will be Las Vegas. I have been keeping track of their craigslist ads and let me tell you. I have never seen cleaner Honda Civics in my life! Ya desert!

Dang thats a long trip but would be a great experience though.

20CiviC02Si
07-01-2010, 09:38 PM
Dang thats a long trip but would be a great experience though.

You have no idea man! I have driven back and forth between Milwaukee and damn near Tulsa, Oklahoma for 2 years to see what used to be my girlfriend. On top of that i drove from here to Dallas/Ft Worth just for an EP3 meet about 2 years ago. Driving continuously across country is my forte! I just looked up plane tickets out there. Seems that a one way flight will cost me about $130. I'll make a deal with whoever i am buying the car from to meet me at the airport. That way i can hop right in and go. I'll stop at some auto parts store down there to get what i need for a quick on the road tune up and go. Should be a fun trip when i have the bank to get a car down there.

K20wagon
07-01-2010, 09:46 PM
Dang wish I could go around like that. The farthest that I have drove is from NC to FL lol. But I am sure its going to be fun for you.

20CiviC02Si
07-01-2010, 09:53 PM
Yeah, now it's the just the "waiting game". I have to wait to have enough cash in the bank to purchase the car, plus have at least a $2,000 reserve in my checking. Should only take me a month or two, if that. Really all depends on how much i want to be around inmates. I could easily turn out enough overtime just in this month alone to have $4,000 in my checking. So i think once i get to $6,000 in the checking i'll pull the trigger on this one.

I'll have the K24a1 shortbock waiting patiently for a K20a2 or another K24a2 head to be placed one it. Transmission will be getting rebuilt the second i purchase my LSD. All in all this build may be almost complete before winter's end.

K20wagon
07-01-2010, 10:14 PM
I have been playing the waiting game for a while lol. I have been saving up for about 5 months now. Its kinda hard though since I got a family and all. I have been providing for them first and with a little bit money left each week been putting it in my savings. I have 2500 now but going to save up more which will be october and I am going to buy the EJ and also go to a salvage and find a rsx that has not been wrecked in the front and get the parts I need off it. Then just drive the EJ for a good while as a DD till I got more money to get the k24a1 and kpro.

20CiviC02Si
07-01-2010, 10:21 PM
I have been playing the waiting game for a while lol. I have been saving up for about 5 months now. Its kinda hard though since I got a family and all. I have been providing for them first and with a little bit money left each week been putting it in my savings. I have 2500 now but going to save up more which will be october and I am going to buy the EJ and also go to a salvage and find a rsx that has not been wrecked in the front and get the parts I need off it. Then just drive the EJ for a good while as a DD till I got more money to get the k24a1 and kpro.

I hear ya man. The waiting game sucks, but once you actually have the cash saved up to where you can afford it. It makes it that much better.

I personally don't want to kill myself with overtime. However it's just so easy to take 1st shift overtime at the prison. You get a sense of happiness when you do. Because not only are you helping a fellow staff member get out of forced overtime, you're also making extra money on top of it.

I worked 16.5 hours of overtime, taking people's forced overtime just this week. Now if i were to take 24 hours worth every week. That's an extra $800 onto my check. I don't have a family to take care of, otherwise i would be in the same shoes as you.

K20wagon
07-01-2010, 10:29 PM
It will all be worth it when its done. But cant wait to start seeing your build.

20CiviC02Si
07-01-2010, 10:34 PM
Yeah i can't wait to start working on it. This may get a little out of hand with all that i want to do to it. I'm going to try to have it ready for next spring. Really all depends if i decide to put it on the rotisserie and have it media blasted or not.

Nitrofaint
07-01-2010, 10:54 PM
Jake, good luck with everything! I know you're going to do this build some justice.

When you're done, bring it to st. louis and we can hit up some curves.

20CiviC02Si
07-02-2010, 12:04 AM
Jake, good luck with everything! I know you're going to do this build some justice.

When you're done, bring it to st. louis and we can hit up some curves.

Sounds like a plan! It's been so damn long since i have had the chance to hit the curves with you guys.

Onasty
07-02-2010, 05:39 AM
cant wait for this to start

itchy5
07-02-2010, 08:18 AM
subscribed :pop2:

20CiviC02Si
07-02-2010, 08:48 PM
The anxiety is killing me today....... I really wish i had a chassis to work on already. It's just a sensory overload right now. I can't function throughout the day without thinking about this build. Damn this "waiting game"....................

Coldth1
07-04-2010, 02:43 PM
ur telling me i been waiting for 2 weeks to get back in to a ep3 lol. gl to u jake!

20CiviC02Si
07-04-2010, 09:49 PM
Yeah things are looking fairly well. Can't wait to have this motor sold on Saturday, that's an extra $850 to my account. On top of that i am hoping to work 3 16 hour shifts between Mon-Wed this week. Plus an additional 24 hours or more worth of it next week. My goal is to achieve at least a $1700 check. That will make my earnings for this month $4000+. The goal is to have $6000-$7000 in my account before i really start looking for a car. Should be reached by Sept realistically. Once that money is sitting and waiting, i pull the tirgger on purchasing a car. I may not even need to go that far south to find one. There are some really clean 95 coupes for sale in Chicago. I mean REALLY CLEAN!

If i had $1800 right this minute i would have my chassis already.

chiwhitesi
07-05-2010, 12:27 AM
jake if you need help looking @ anything around chicago shoot me a pm and i can take some better pix for you or answer any specific questions so you don't have to come all the way down here. also check out JDMchicago.com theres a couple clean coupe's that pop up every so often

jofus228
07-05-2010, 03:03 AM
Subscribed.

20CiviC02Si
07-05-2010, 08:53 PM
jake if you need help looking @ anything around chicago shoot me a pm and i can take some better pix for you or answer any specific questions so you don't have to come all the way down here. also check out JDMchicago.com theres a couple clean coupe's that pop up every so often

Will do man. I found a couple clean EJ coupes out there. However only one was tempting. If i had the cash sitting in the bank i would be down there picking it up already. I have it, it's just not here yet. Waiting on the checks to hit my account from work! LOL! Sucks! Other than that i'll let you know if there is anything in Chicago which i am interested in.

Thanks man! I'll take all the help i can get.

20CiviC02Si
07-10-2010, 11:39 PM
Little update. Sold the K24a4 long block and K24a2 head that i have had lying around. Looking to sell the K20a2 transmission as well, because i have made the decision to go with a 5sp trans. I'm still not 100% on this one yet, however i do think that the RSX-S gearbox has too short of gearing for the K24 i plan on having built. Speaking of which i have secured the Brand New K24a1 long block. So i have an untouched gem to base my build around! Not sure if i'll stick with the stock pistons and rods.

K20wagon
07-11-2010, 12:08 AM
Any word on a EJ yet man. I am bout to get mine. I was going to wait but this clean white bone stock EJ just roles up in a car lot for sale and I am going to have to take it.

20CiviC02Si
07-11-2010, 12:40 AM
Any word on a EJ yet man. I am bout to get mine. I was going to wait but this clean white bone stock EJ just roles up in a car lot for sale and I am going to have to take it.

Not yet, all my available funds are going towards getting this K24a1 block from a friend. I am waiting to have at least $4000 in my checking account. That way i can afford my chassis and not have to live check to check again. I may have the motor built before i get the chassis to put it in.

20CiviC02Si
07-11-2010, 02:37 AM
I have a couple concerns plaguing me as of right now. Those all deal with the transmission and how i'll go about having it built. My buddy will be doing me the favor of building it up. In fact when i go to pick up my new K24a1, i'll be dropping my Type S gear box off to him as well. I'm just worried about the gearing..... Trying to figure out if it'll be too short for the K24's powerband. Or will a EP3 5sp better suit the engine?

As well as LSD choice. Stick with the tried and true Helical or go for the more aggressive 1.5 way clutch pack. Having the transmission pulled out and cracked open to have the LSD rebuilt doesn't concern me. I can do that in the off season when i have nothing better to do. But is it worth it?

20CiviC02Si
07-11-2010, 09:58 PM
Never once did i consider the cost of buying every part i need to build this bare block! LOL! It's going to be pricey!