PDA

View Full Version : Popping Noise in the Intake

DownTheHatch
06-15-2002, 06:26 AM
I have an AEM Cold Air Intake installed and occasionally when I shift into a gear I get a loud "POP" from the intake, it's happened in 2nd 3rd and 4th before, I'm not really sure why its doing this. Does anyone else have this problem?

SpacemanSpiff
06-15-2002, 07:31 AM
Are you getting resistance when you try to shift. I've seen some posts on other boards discussing a problem where the intake is blocking the gear selector and gets hit when you change gears. Apparently the intake can be adjusted to fix the problem.
I've seen this on clubrsx but I imagine that the same thing could hold true for the si.
Hope it helps.

here is a link to one of the discussions:
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?threadid=31284

DownTheHatch
06-15-2002, 08:01 AM
No resistance when I shift. It just sounds like it backfires out the intake.

Pradamuimui
06-15-2002, 05:43 PM
I 2 have heard the popping noise that you describe in my AEM Cold Air intake....its not a sound that you hear all of the time...but it does sound like a backfire of some sort. It's not a thumping noise like something is hitting the intake, but more like a backfire of air...I dunno either...someone wanna help us out???

DownTheHatch
06-15-2002, 09:37 PM
Okay I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one. My first guess would be that its the ECU or IAC sensor. Not sure where to go from here.

Pradamuimui
06-16-2002, 04:19 PM
I guess that it could be the ECU, or oxygen sensor?? I dunno why I didnt think of that before?? But I dont think the popping noise is something to worry about, but I would still like it if I could find out what causes it anyways to give me a peace of mind!!!

2002HatchSi
06-18-2002, 05:15 PM
i have had the popping sound with my old civic and it was my oxygen sensor..... it took me a while to figuer out what it was.... and i was almost insane...

Glix2
11-24-2002, 10:43 AM
My Typhoon backfired yesterday after a street race with a new eclipse. I was slowing down after the race and heard a POP.
Car went on driving normal after that but it was loud and scared the shit out of me.

javi2002whitesi
11-24-2002, 12:08 PM
im glad to hear u guys have had the same sh*& happen to u also. i have a injen cai and i have also heard a poppin sound which sounds like a backfire. i havent been able to trace some sort of pattern to it. it just happens very rarely when i change gears usually to 3rd or 4th. i sure would like to know what the hell it is . when it first happened to me it scared me half to death.

02SiHB
11-24-2002, 12:10 PM
Exactly why I don't put aftermarket stuff on a brand new car. I hope it's nothing serious though.

pobanaitsa
11-24-2002, 01:22 PM
i have the same popping noise on my aem cai.

javi2002whitesi
11-24-2002, 04:12 PM
someone move this topic to the engine section on the forum maybe we can get some answers over there.

EP33
11-25-2002, 08:23 PM
It has happens to me too. The following is my own theory. . . . .

It has occured under the same conditions:

Take off, car is not quite at operating temp, I give it somewhere between 1/3 - 3/4 gas (for those with intake deeeep throaty sound), I let off to change gears, POP.

It's almost like the timing starts to advance/retard right when additional fuel gets let into the cylinder, then when you let off to shift, the timing changes, but there is extra fuel (a bit rich from not being at operating temp), the "I" in I-Vtec needs time to think about these things, and doesn't adapt fast to letting off the throttle. . . . .

Again my own theory. My own "wastegate"
;)

I bet all of our cars do it. Just that you can't hear it with the factory air box (nothing gets out of the black hole). Could you imagine if a stock SI made that noise. People would be lined up at the dealership complaining up the ass about "front" firing.

josh2323
11-25-2002, 08:49 PM
yeah same thing happened to me today i have an injen cai, hopefully its nothing bad.:(

!@#$%
11-25-2002, 09:24 PM
me too, i have injen cai.

here is what i think it is:

After a few days of popping i took it apart to inspect it and noticed that there was a groove cut into my intake pipe. In the injen instructions it tells you to file down part of the fender hole for better clearance.

Well at high rpm the engine is going to move and shift with the mounts due to the motion of the pistons....the moving of the engine in turn moves the intake and it hits the metal inside the wheelwell. I filed it down ALOT more and taped it up just for good measure. Hasnt done it since. Oh well.

btw i dont know if the AEM cai touches the same spot on that hole for the pipe. I filled in my groove with solder. Worked better than i thought.