PDA

View Full Version : First time oil change by self...

tatsu666
07-06-2010, 06:05 PM
LOL yes i'm a noob, and i usually take it to garage to get it done. but since now i can get real gd deals on royal purp and lots of stuff, i decided to do it myself.

4L royal purp 5w-20 + K&N oil filter for S2000 total price = $52CDN :tehehyper:

any of u guys could really use a filter wrench to undo or tighten the filter? cuz i couldn't reach in and really turn it. i've only tighten it w/ hand, is it enough?

.colin
07-06-2010, 06:10 PM
i use my hands to take it on and off

thisisagame24
07-06-2010, 06:13 PM
some dealerships really crank it on there. my very first oil change was a bitch to get the filter off. since then i can use my hand to put on and remove the filter

would suggest going with 5w-30 oil to help keep the cam shafts in better shape

beechstreet
07-06-2010, 06:44 PM
hand tight is what is recommended. Some filters even note it on the side of the filter. congrats on your first oil change.

2k3hatchie
07-06-2010, 07:05 PM
Congrats on DIY! Make sure you lube the filter gasket and hand tighten. Using a wrench to tighten down the filter is overkill. Using 5w-30 is the way to go. I forget who said it (maybe talon), our engine was the first and last K series to call for 5w-20 (or something along those lines). The Base RSX has essentially the same engine and it calls for 5w-30.

ttttrigg3r
07-06-2010, 07:08 PM
did you have trouble getting to the filter? even with the wheel off i was cussing at the engineers for putting it in such a hard to reach place.

Sucka
07-06-2010, 07:15 PM
I hand tighten my filter. To remove the filter sometimes i use a clamp and twist it off alittle and just loosen it with my hands afterwards.

SkareKrow
07-06-2010, 09:55 PM
LOL yes i'm a noob, and i usually take it to garage to get it done. but since now i can get real gd deals on royal purp and lots of stuff, i decided to do it myself.

any of u guys could really use a filter wrench to undo or tighten the filter? cuz i couldn't reach in and really turn it. i've only tighten it w/ hand, is it enough?

Ummm if I am correct the ep3 takes 4.75 quarts.... I just thought I would bring that up. Other then that Congrats on your Oil Change. For Filter Removal I got a wrench that fits the OEM Honda Filter I bought it at honda, It just cups the Oil Filter and you put your tool on it and TADA!

Congrats on DIY! Make sure you lube the filter gasket and hand tighten. Using a wrench to tighten down the filter is overkill. Using 5w-30 is the way to go. I forget who said it (maybe talon), our engine was the first and last K series to call for 5w-20 (or something along those lines). The Base RSX has essentially the same engine and it calls for 5w-30.
I wonder whats good to use if you have higher mileage? I use personally 10W-30 on 130K+ Miles I love learning new things maybe i'll do 5w30, I use to do 5w20 till someone said use 10w30 after 100Kmiles... I could be completely wrong please correct me though, Thanks Very much in advance.

did you have trouble getting to the filter? even with the wheel off i was cussing at the engineers for putting it in such a hard to reach place.
I don't ever take off the wheel.... Just go through where your exhaust is at under the car It isn't to hard to get too or go from the top but feel for it. I like doing it when the car is a bit warm so I feel the filter quicker :) Then your hand gets hot so you want to take it out faster LoL!

SkareKrow
07-06-2010, 09:57 PM
hand tight is what is recommended. Some filters even note it on the side of the filter. congrats on your first oil change.

Yes hand tight is what is recommended. :) Thats true. Don't ever use a tool/wrench to tighten. I Only use those to remove in case I cant use my hands to loosen it up a bit.

drjd888
07-06-2010, 10:12 PM

4L is only 4.22675284 US quarts (thanks google lol)
Did you check your oil level after you put the new oil in and let the engine run/drive till it was at normal operating temp? 4.2 quarts is driveable but you should double check it, you'll probably need to add more oil.

Personally, I have a filter wrench and I turn it 3/4 after the seal touches. I use the wrench mainly when removing the filter since it can get grimey and slippery.

tatsu666
07-07-2010, 12:43 AM
lol it's only 1Quart / bottle, so i poured in only 4 quarts...damn so i need to pour in another 3/4 quart?

shanewdude
07-07-2010, 03:40 AM
Look at your dipstick... it's the only way to tell if you have the right amount. You should always check the dipstick when you are done an oil change.

2k3hatchie
07-08-2010, 10:42 AM
I wonder whats good to use if you have higher mileage? I use personally 10W-30 on 130K+ Miles I love learning new things maybe i'll do 5w30, I use to do 5w20 till someone said use 10w30 after 100Kmiles... I could be completely wrong please correct me though, Thanks Very much in advance.

actually, my old civic had almost 200K on it and I still used 5w-30

Kerby
07-08-2010, 11:42 AM
congrats on you first oil change.

i agree with what other people have recommend. On your next oil change switch over to the 10w-30 during the hot/warm months. Cold/winter months switch to 5w-30.

tatsu666
07-09-2010, 12:29 AM
cool guys, i'll remember all those u all taught me!