PDA

View Full Version : 5 Lug Swap

2k3hatchie
07-08-2010, 08:16 AM
So I've got an 03 and I plan to swap over to 17's soon, and I probably will end up needing new brakes before this time next year. Both events bring up the opportunity to swap over to a 5 lug setup. Would it be more beneficial to do a DC5-base or DC5-S swap? What route did you guys go down in order to get the parts, Used vs New parts? How much did it all run ya? Thanks in advance.

Falcon7
07-08-2010, 05:53 PM
I went with the complete 5-lug from a DC5 Type S. I picked mine up from a friend and he got it from a salvaged DC5.

The Type S has bigger brakes. Base model RSX would only give you 5-lug with no other benefits.

I came across this a thread on here that has a killer deal on a few sets of Type S 5-lugs : http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?57067-FS-RSX-S-5-Lug-Conversions-Cheap-Cheap

Looks like he's got everything you would need to do the swap.

Blue03Si
07-08-2010, 06:07 PM
I got my DC5-S swap for 400 with control arms included. I took the opportunity to install an energy suspension kit in the control arms that came with the swap. Also during the install I changed out the stock suspension for an HFP suspension. I'm very happy with the results.

2k3hatchie
07-08-2010, 06:58 PM
I saw that FS thread but he wasn't offering shipping, though that seems to have changed potentially. If he doesn't I'll keep shopping around, maybe find something on CRSX? Already got DC5 tierod ends on an A-spec kit so why not go all out DC5 heh.

thaseint
07-09-2010, 06:57 AM
One thing to keep in mind with this conversion when buying from someone who is parting out.

Often times the person selling is parting out a wrecked car, so its important that you think about things that may need to be replaced. The big things being: bent knuckles, bad ball joints, and bent control arms (for 05-06 RSX-S).

Find out if the car the parts came off of was in a front end or side impact collision. Rear end might not be that bad since you just need the hubs anyway.

These types of things can't really be judged by pictures and sometimes not even in person until the parts are installed and you go for an alignment.

Not trying to turn you away since buying used parts saves you significant money, just trying to make you aware. Plan on setting aside at least $500 in case you need a new knuckle, ball joint, bearings, etc. :mbiggrin:

2k3hatchie
07-09-2010, 07:17 AM
One thing to keep in mind with this conversion when buying from someone who is parting out.

Often times the person selling is parting out a wrecked car, so its important that you think about things that may need to be replaced. The big things being: bent knuckles, bad ball joints, and bent control arms (for 05-06 RSX-S).

Find out if the car the parts came off of was in a front end or side impact collision. Rear end might not be that bad since you just need the hubs anyway.

These types of things can't really be judged by pictures and sometimes not even in person until the parts are installed and you go for an alignment.

Not trying to turn you away since buying used parts saves you significant money, just trying to make you aware. Plan on setting aside at least $500 in case you need a new knuckle, ball joint, bearings, etc. :mbiggrin:

Thanks for the heads up. I'll almost certainly be buying new balljoints regardless. The parts I buy used I'll try to get from local parts recyclers, a few of them around here actually offer guarantees.

johnkimble
07-09-2010, 08:46 AM
Thanks for the heads up. I'll almost certainly be buying new balljoints regardless. The parts I buy used I'll try to get from local parts recyclers, a few of them around here actually offer guarantees.

was going to say exactly that. there are tons of crashed rsx-s's everywhere, so you should be able to source all of the used parts from yards. be smart about it and demand the guarantee if they don't offer it