PDA

View Full Version : suggestions for upgrades?

03NorVa
07-08-2010, 09:59 AM
so im working with a stock k20a3, and dont have much extra money. i have an exhaust on the way (hopefully will be here within a week) that is some no name brand, but i needed it because my exhaust broke @ the muffler. so that will be my official first upgrade. what do yall think would be some good upgrades, that will give me the most bang for my buck?

T_Virus
07-08-2010, 12:24 PM
get a INJEN SP1576

siege911
07-08-2010, 06:03 PM
Best bang for the buck? Energy suspension motor mount inserts... they make a WORLD of a difference (and are very cheap). Depending on what you're going for, there are multiple options... is it a daily? Autocross car/track car? Drag?

cronicEP
07-08-2010, 06:59 PM
suspension first...clean exhaust...cold air intake...depeneds on your funds....

but if i could do it again...id do coilovers first!

03NorVa
07-15-2010, 07:07 AM
ive already got a suspension drop, which im gonna have to raise her back up a little bit because with my new exhaust the silencer is sittin about an inch MAYBE an inch and a half off the ground, so im gonna lift it up about 2 inches and throw a lip kit on it all the way around to keep the low look.

also... random question but i was wondering if ep's came stock with a rear wheel camber? cause mines cambered a little bit, but its barely enough to notice unless youre looking for it...

2k3hatchie
07-15-2010, 07:29 AM
ive already got a suspension drop, which im gonna have to raise her back up a little bit because with my new exhaust the silencer is sittin about an inch MAYBE an inch and a half off the ground, so im gonna lift it up about 2 inches and throw a lip kit on it all the way around to keep the low look.

also... random question but i was wondering if ep's came stock with a rear wheel camber? cause mines cambered a little bit, but its barely enough to notice unless youre looking for it...

Nope, no rear camber adjustment. The new rear upper arms can be had for under $200 though.

ttttrigg3r
07-15-2010, 07:32 AM
Best bang for the buck? Energy suspension motor mount inserts... they make a WORLD of a difference (and are very cheap). Depending on what you're going for, there are multiple options... is it a daily? Autocross car/track car? Drag?

what are motor mount inserts and are they hard to install. What do they do?

Rasy
07-15-2010, 07:47 AM

They are two pairs of inserts that supplement the stock front and rear motor mounts to help reduce wheel hop. When you launch hard, it drastically helps - at a cost of course. I have them in my car, but I honestly wish I hadn't put them in unless you plan to race a lot (which I don't do). They vibrate at idle (though somewhat tolerable), but gets more noticeable when you turn on your A/C and the inside cabin starts to shake.

I will say they help get off the line with rougher acceleration as well.

Again, if you spend a lot of time at the track, only then in my opinion that it's worth it. You shouldn't be street-racing anyways. :)

Heitzke
07-15-2010, 07:47 AM

They're urethane inserts that fill up the open spaces in the oem motor mounts (front and rear mounts). They take up a good bit of the slop from the factory mounts.

ttttrigg3r
07-15-2010, 09:42 AM
Thanks. I'd get CAI if you don't live in an area with a lot of rain.

Nicotine
07-15-2010, 08:25 PM
save your cash. dont spend every last dime...not a good idea, esp on a car.

Distance
07-15-2010, 10:34 PM
save your cash. dont spend every last dime...not a good idea, esp on a car.

i 2nd that. save your money if you dont have extra cash lol.

LaoSiFu
07-15-2010, 11:07 PM
What are your goals?

EPSU3
07-16-2010, 08:22 AM
I'm also mr. conservative on a shoe string budget. Here's what I did that I'm happy with: Fujita CAI, used DC shorty header(not great gains but cheap and I wanted to keep my cat), megan mid pipe stock axle back, HFP suspension, used 06 DC5-S rear sway and some rota rims. You won't add a lot of horse power for under a grand, but you can make the car way more fun to drive with less than a thousand dollars worth of suspension mods. Always check the classifieds, tons of good deals.

03NorVa
07-20-2010, 11:14 AM
preciate it. i had some extra cash to spend untill this past weekend. i hurt my shoulder playin ball and had to go to the er, so now im probably gonna have to spend all the money i had saved for my car on that bill haha. o well... shit happens right?

white_cOmet
07-21-2010, 09:59 AM
Haha what a bummer.. well if you get a CAI with ur exhaust another cheap mod could be a testpipe. I had the boltons setup with the testpipe at one point and it made my driving more enjoyable =P very cheap!

03NorVa
07-29-2010, 06:50 AM
Haha what a bummer.. well if you get a CAI with ur exhaust another cheap mod could be a testpipe. I had the boltons setup with the testpipe at one point and it made my driving more enjoyable =P very cheap!

whats a test pipe? im fixin to get a lil bit of money. how much would a used turbo cost me, one thats cheap but still gives a good amount of boost. idc what brand it is, as long as it wont crap out after 2 weeks haha