PDA

View Full Version : Oh yeah, that's why I wanted to give up on the EP3...

saturnmodder
07-10-2010, 02:50 PM
Well, my girl and I drove the Civic to Hilton Head Island, SC last weekend for a week long vacation with her family. We had a great drive down, and a great week, then we left to come home today, and I'm at a loss of words. First off, we got on I-95 to head back home after filling up with gas. We made it about 3 miles before traffic came to an abrupt stop. I noticed something sounded a little off while we were barely moving in traffic. I just chose to pay closer attention to the car, but continue on.

Well, the car starts running hot, so I check, and only one of the radiator fans is working. Awesome, so I just cut the A/C and rolled the windows down until we were moving steadily again. That worked out fine as far as coolant temp goes, so I didn't think much of it, rolled the windows up, and cranked the air. We were about to cross the North Carolina line, and we'd burned a little over 1/2 a tank of gas, so I pulled off to get gas because SC gas is awesomely cheap in comparison to NC. So I fill up, check fuel economy, and we only got a whopping 27 MPG. I just figured it was all the sitting that did it, but I still felt like it was low. So I start the car, it does its normal, then when the A/C compressor engages, the engine stalls. WTF? is all I'm thinking, so I start the car again, and it stalls again. Then I start it and give it a little gas, then I hear the most horrible grinding, rocks in a can type noise I've ever heard. I turn off the A/C and it stops.

So at this point, I'm assuming the A/C clutch/pulley bearings are shot, and we have to drive the rest of the way home with no A/C, which SUCKED HORRIBLY, especially once we hit Asheville and had to sit through construction traffic.

I'd planned to replace the tie rod ends and sway bar endlinks this week, now the A/C is out, and to make it all better, I stop to get my paycheck only to find out that the raise I was promised isn't on there. Needless to say, I'm excruciatingly pissed off at my job and my car right now. And all this after I replaced the rear brakes and rotors, both front wheel bearings, all 4 tires, and a dead battery all within a week.

That being said, damn Hilton Head is a NICE place to vacation. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Hasbro
07-10-2010, 03:23 PM
I moved from their about four years ago but go back to see family. Too flat, no curves, and you need to have bucks to live the gated McMansion life. My people live in Wexford Plantation. I do miss being a home inspector there, though.
Sorry about your EP. You're getting close, just keep at it!

saturnmodder
07-10-2010, 05:35 PM
Yeah, I'd like to live there for a summer, just for the experience, but I know there is no way I could afford that. But I agree, it's not fun driving, I'd miss the mountains if I lived there, haha.

I'd agree that I'm close with the car, except that I figured I had to be close when I got it back on the road! I've had it over a year now and I've driven it about 2 months worth of driving. I'm just pissed that I sold my DD Saturn because I figured I'd done enough work to the damn Civic that I could drive it for a while, and I needed to money to get it 100% roadworthy. Oh well, so much for having anything left over from that sale, and back to adding debt to keep the shit on the road.

But at least I caught the problem before the serpentine broke and we were stranded on the side of the road!

ep3k20
07-10-2010, 06:09 PM
sometimes if the compressor is low on refrigerant it will make the bearing surronding the coil start to seize up. that was the initial noise you heard i presume. than when you stopped the car and started it again the sudden jolt from the clutch on the compressor and lack of oil (refrigerant) caused it to fail. sounds to me your compressor is f'ed in the A with D. and now to top it off you need to find the source of the leak which requires a leak down test and introduce dye into the system....unfortunatly for you the compressor needs to be working in order to do so...to bad you dont live near CO cause its actually a pretty easy fix :/

saturnmodder
07-10-2010, 06:20 PM
Possible, but the A/C was blowing ice cold in over 90 degree weather, even while sitting, until that happened. Well, except for the time when I'd been sitting still for about 30 minutes when the engine started running hot, so I checked and found that only one of the fans was running, then it started to get a little less icy, haha.

Lucid Moments
07-10-2010, 06:43 PM
My third (counting the original that was on the car when I bought it) a/c compressor is sitting in my garage right now. Went out on me a couple of weeks ago. I'm going to take a chance and not replace nearly the entire system like most mechanics recommend and I'll see what happens.