PDA

View Full Version : Can our car flip?

SubliminalSi
12-08-2002, 03:47 PM
Its kinda misty outside today so i went to a huge vacent parking lot and was kinda sliding around and going to about 5500 rpm in 2nd then turning sharp and sliding my backend around, as i was i kinda thought, will i flip over? Pretty stupid i know but oh well:confused: ..CAn i turn sharp enough, fast enough, to flip?

Surprise
12-08-2002, 03:52 PM
Any car can flip. When your cars go sideways all four wheels are slipping. But if your tires found something to grip on (dirt, really dry spot) your tires gain grip. Since the car is going sideways and friction forces all of a sudden is felt by the lowest part of your car your CG (which wants to stay in motion is then forced by the tires who want to resist motion) is now too far too the side and over you go.

IceD out N CALI
12-08-2002, 04:03 PM
yes if u can flip the car if u turn sharp going fast-so dont do it:D

pocketrocket
12-08-2002, 04:24 PM
With stock tires, there is a .00009% chance you can flip the car by doing what you have described. If you hit a curb/pothole/something solid while sliding sideways, that's a different story. Also, if you start to increase grip, ie: adding better tires, blahdity blahdity.... you're chances also go up.

-PR

civic hatch boi
12-08-2002, 07:24 PM
can't every car flip?

civic hatch boi
12-08-2002, 07:24 PM
teeheehee

pocketrocket
12-08-2002, 09:18 PM
can't every car flip?

not if you're in an SUV... you're super safe there.. muwhhahaha

oh shit.. our ep looks like an SUV.

-PR

chunky
12-08-2002, 09:28 PM
you'd have to go pretty fast in a lateral direction to flip the car. you'd have to be going like 20+mph sideways and hit a curb in order to flip.

I've spun my car out many a time, i've been parking lot drifting with it as well, never even threatened to flip.

1fastminivan
12-09-2002, 01:25 AM
LOL!!!!!!!!

SubliminalSi, thats funny that you say that....................tonight me and my friend AJ (eclipse GS-T) and NemesisITR were at this huge parking lot were they hold our autocrosses and we setup a course with some of AJ's cones he has from his Motorcycle runs and he setup a course and we just had fun for the whole night just hauling ass,cornering, loosing it on purpose and trying to drive fast in the misty rain..................might I add I have a stock car with STOCK tires...LOL... we had fun tonight and my tires sucks of course. Chances of you flipping your car over are pretty small unless you slide into a curb.

!@#$%
12-09-2002, 01:44 AM
this last march (almost a yr ago) i was riding with this idiot in his new 2k2 EX 5sp. He decided to race this probe and we ending up crashing. it wasnt your typical crash either.

for dfw people it happened going southbound on jupiter rd in plano right past spring creek. He was doing 70 in a 35 after i told him to slow the hell down. There was an S curve and we slid into the curb, which sent the drivers side flying directly parallel into the median.

When both drivers side tires hit the curb we flipped numerous times. I heard as much as 6-8 times and knocked a street light post clear out of the ground into the street. It felt like time was frozen. I wasn't hurt (thank god could have very well been killed) but the look on everyone's faces when i crawled out the top (passenger window) and hopped down to retrieve my hat was priceless. :eek: lol....

Its things like that which make u realize just how justifiable a person's driving actions are.....

needless to say, I try to drive with more maturity now than most people on the road. Sub, just be careful and stay away from those stupid curbs. they will own you, i know they owned me. Luckily it wasnt my car. I must see this autocross demo sometime. Sounds like fun. :) I say us DFW people should get together and go to the ennis track sometime this spring, so you all can show me the ropes. I dont feel comfortable randomly racing....but am craving testing myself on the track. My dc header comes in tomorrow. I'll try to make a meet on a near future saturday.

NemesisITR
12-09-2002, 01:45 AM
Hey driving the minivan....SI was really fun today!!!:D

Seriously, any car can flip, you just have to hit the right speed and angle to do it.

Suk02Si
12-09-2002, 03:02 AM
haha, I stumbled across this site while looking for a pinout diagram for a friend's GSR.

Traysliding (http://www.traysliding.com/index2.htm)

I remember doing this a long time ago with an old 84 accord. They actually have a forum too:D

atl-si
12-09-2002, 07:20 AM
Speed, curves, curbs all equal the ability to flip.

X 2KS2K
12-09-2002, 01:25 PM
i may be wrong here, but i don't understand how speed alone can make our cars flip. the tires simply are not sticky enough to hang onto the road with enough force to cause us to flip, they will slide way before you come close to rolling. now if you increase the friction in some way or hit an obstruction while sliding sideways, that's a whole different ballgame.

r3p00c
12-10-2002, 09:01 AM
just watch sliding into those ditches...

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/r3p00c/images/oops.jpg

(please excuse the picture of a picture... i have no scanner)

I was a dumb kid, driving too fast on a road I didn't know too well... came up on a turn, slid into a bank, rolled once on the ground, tumbled twice in the air, landed on the wheels in a corn field (almost 100ft. from the bank where i initially hit). I was lucky to come out with just seatbelt brusburns... I did hit my head on the windshield and lose conciousness (I still have scars from glass being stuck in my skin), but I came to about 5 min. later with only a headache.

I'm all about driving fast and having fun, but this was a wake-up call to do it a little more responsibly. After all, I'm lucky I walked away from that with no serious injuries...

SubliminalSi
12-10-2002, 04:26 PM
Ouch, that sux, thats why i only do it in big parking lots with no bumps, curbs, or poles, when it is like that again, ill get someone to tape it:p

Jpax
12-10-2002, 06:01 PM
I saw a dodge viper fliped on its roof, when i went to work a couple of months ago.