PDA

View Full Version : P0132 Primary Heated O2 Sensor

NateCox
07-11-2010, 10:38 AM
I didn't see this code in my search, so I'll ask you guys...

CEL came on, manual says to tighten gas cap (did), went to Advanced Auto and pulled code...cleared, came back on 10 seconds later, which makes me think it's not cap.

Easy/cheap to replace primary O2 sensor? How many O2's are there?

FYI.. rainy weather here, wet air all week...

Car seems to run fine...but I don't like CEL's

Gracias amigos!

jh604
07-11-2010, 10:50 AM
ummm i think bosch has the cheapest which is about $170CAD correct me if im wrong? but id go with denso for a tad bit more.

NateCox
07-11-2010, 10:54 AM
is it DIY'able? :)

jh604
07-11-2010, 10:56 AM
yup either get a o2s socket and ratchet or use a 22mm wrench (i think)

NateCox
07-11-2010, 10:59 AM
never heard of an O2 sensor wrench...but I've 22mm's....

I'll check it out this week...

civsirmt
07-11-2010, 01:18 PM
amazon has the bosch one for 114+shipping, club rsx has the same one on sale right now for 160.

NateCox
07-12-2010, 06:41 AM
where is it located? under the heat sheild or below...by the cat??

do I need to spray with WD-40 before so it will come out easier?

$114 is more palatable too...yikes they ain't cheap! I've about 50K now, so I guess that's a good lifespan for this part...

Thanks guys!

NateCox
07-12-2010, 06:46 AM
What is the part number I'd look for on amazon (do you have link)???

Gracias!

4angrybadgers
07-12-2010, 07:22 AM
where is it located? under the heat sheild or below...by the cat??

do I need to spray with WD-40 before so it will come out easier?

$114 is more palatable too...yikes they ain't cheap! I've about 50K now, so I guess that's a good lifespan for this part...

Thanks guys!

It should last longer than 50k, but as with any part, sometimes they die sooner.

The primary O2 sensor is the one closest to the engine - forward of the cat. Use PB Blaster several times over a day or more before you try to remove the sensor, it will soak in and loosen things up for you and make it easier.

NateCox
07-13-2010, 06:23 PM
Can someone please tell me the part number for the primary heated O2 sensor? I think I'll buy one here, if it fails, might be hard to return via amazon..If I'm looking at right part, it's about $156 for a bosch unit...but I may be looking at the other o2 sensor..

WOULD IT BE THIS http://www.amazon.com/Denso-234-9004-Oxygen-Sensor-Ratio/dp/B000C5UFV2/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1279071242&sr=1-1

jh604
07-13-2010, 08:13 PM
Yes that denso part# is correct. I would go with denso over bosch

NateCox
07-14-2010, 05:07 AM
Part ordered from amazon, also ordered the socket (it was only $10)...

thanks guys! I hope this solves the light (I think it will...what else would cause the O2 sensor code??) :)

NateCox
07-16-2010, 05:21 AM
Okay, the part is on the way from Amazon with a socket. Now when it arrives, I'll put the car up and get underneath? Is it before the CAT, can i get to it from below, or is it underneath the exhaust manifold heat shield?

Should I unplug the battery to clear the code? or will the new part (if it's the right fix) make the light go out right then?

Gracias friends!

thaseint
07-16-2010, 07:56 AM
Okay, the part is on the way from Amazon with a socket. Now when it arrives, I'll put the car up and get underneath? Is it before the CAT, can i get to it from below, or is it underneath the exhaust manifold heat shield?

Should I unplug the battery to clear the code? or will the new part (if it's the right fix) make the light go out right then?

Gracias friends!

The primary O2 sensor is located before the cat, very easy to get to from under the car. Use an O2 sensor socket and breaker bar (if you have one).

To clear the code remove the ECM fuse (under the hood) for 10 seconds, then reinstall. Start the car, do the idle relearn procedure and the code will be gone. The code won't immediately turn off on it's own (least in my case) and should be cleared.

NateCox
07-16-2010, 08:50 AM
is the idle relearn procedure automatic?

breaker bar? it's that hard to get off? I'm gonna soak the threads in WD-40 for an hour or two before hand. I've got wheel ramps, so she'll be up on them.

thaseint
07-16-2010, 08:56 AM
is the idle relearn procedure automatic?

breaker bar? it's that hard to get off? I'm gonna soak the threads in WD-40 for an hour or two before hand. I've got wheel ramps, so she'll be up on them.

A breaker bar just makes life in general easier when working on cars, so I try to use it as much as possible. :mbiggrin:

Depending on where you live the sensor could be easy as pie or require the strength of the Gods. But since the sensor should have had some anti-seize compound applied it shouldn't be all that difficult to remove.

Also forget about WD40...use some PB Blaster. MUCH better than WD40.

The idle relearn procedure as I remember it, is:

1. Start the car and hold the engine at 3000rpm until the radiator fan comes on.
2. Let the engine idle for 5 minutes.

NateCox
07-16-2010, 10:10 AM
hold 3K rpm until engine get's hot enough to turn on radiator fan? Or will it do it as part of the sequence?

NateCox
07-17-2010, 11:35 AM
Part came in last night. Put on this morning...very easy

Disconnected the positive battery terminal
Disconnected the O2 sensor plug
Sprayed O2 sensor with penetrating oil (WD-40)
Undid bolt with O2 sensor socket (22mm) and a rubber mallet...not hard at all
Applied anti-seize to new O2 sensor threads
Reinstalled O2 sensor and plugged back in
Connected battery and started car
No light, problem gone, car idles at about 950 steadily and drives fine!

Thank you to everyone who helped! I'm going to keep my eye on the light for a week or so to ensure it's fully fixed, but right now it runs great!

BTW, the old O2 sensor looked okay (it's a Denso too...does Honda use Denso?)...but the sensor head was covered with a whitish carbon layer...but that's just normal exhaust carbon I suppose....

Thanks guys!!!!! I love LOVE my Si!

NateCox
07-17-2010, 11:36 AM
OH...and is an Si in Spain called a Civic "Yes""?...think about it......hmmmm

jh604
07-18-2010, 12:21 AM
yes honda oem is denso

ep-unit
07-23-2010, 08:26 PM
same thing happened to a friend of mine, good thread

RJEP
07-29-2010, 01:02 PM
Great thread. I will be ordering the same O2 sensor and replace my own. I was just wondering. Would it be best to also replace the secondary O2 sensor the one after the cat at the same time?

56chevydan
07-31-2010, 06:28 PM
Great thread. I will be ordering the same O2 sensor and replace my own. I was just wondering. Would it be best to also replace the secondary O2 sensor the one after the cat at the same time?
Don't waste your money on the secondary sensor until you get a trouble code for that sensor. The secondary sensor tests the effeciency of the catalytic converter. Replacing it, without a problem with it, is a waste of time and money.

Passenger
07-31-2010, 06:33 PM
If any of you guys are lookign for one, I have one brand new in the box that I'm needing to sell. I can do $110 shipped.

jrsev_03
08-13-2010, 01:12 PM
hey guys i was told I had a bad o2 sensor, does the one before the cat the usual one that dies first, or the one on the cat??? oh does removing the batter for a long period of time reset the ecu as well, instead of pulling the fuse for the ecu???

wasatchmountain
09-01-2010, 07:55 PM
Do you have the bosch or denso, and is it still available?

SIworks
02-21-2011, 03:26 PM
Part came in last night. Put on this morning...very easy

Disconnected the positive battery terminal
Disconnected the O2 sensor plug
Sprayed O2 sensor with penetrating oil (WD-40)
Undid bolt with O2 sensor socket (22mm) and a rubber mallet...not hard at all
Applied anti-seize to new O2 sensor threads
Reinstalled O2 sensor and plugged back in
Connected battery and started car
No light, problem gone, car idles at about 950 steadily and drives fine!

Thank you to everyone who helped! I'm going to keep my eye on the light for a week or so to ensure it's fully fixed, but right now it runs great!

BTW, the old O2 sensor looked okay (it's a Denso too...does Honda use Denso?)...but the sensor head was covered with a whitish carbon layer...but that's just normal exhaust carbon I suppose....

Thanks guys!!!!! I love LOVE my Si!

how did you disconnect the 02 sensor harness ? is there a trick or just muscle it ??