PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! Brake upgrade ?'s

maccrap
07-11-2010, 11:28 AM
So a few years ago i got an insane deal on these calipers.. i have an 04 and am looking to put them on finaly.. does anyone know what other parts i need to get these installed? Im pretty sure i need RSX-S rotors.. but not sure of the other misc parts... it came with the calipers and pads.

mac

i have plenty more pics.. need to re-size them.. but basically im trying to find out if i need brackets or new lines? or any other misc parts..

jh604
07-11-2010, 12:01 PM
what kind of calipers are those? If they are DC5's you wont be able to use them unless you have DC5 hubs+bracket. Lines should fit no problem

maccrap
07-11-2010, 09:37 PM
i was told they were from an ep3 type r.. but i cant seem to find a model number online anywhere to check against.. just have a few days off and would like to do this swap if i can...

hondaguy92129
07-11-2010, 09:51 PM
wait so if you have DC5 brakes you wont be able to use them? I have some calipers off of an 03 type-s and I was hoping to throw them onto my 04...

jh604
07-11-2010, 11:11 PM
i was told they were from an ep3 type r.. but i cant seem to find a model number online anywhere to check against.. just have a few days off and would like to do this swap if i can...

Hmmm....I still think you need CTR hubs + bracket or Type-s.

wait so if you have DC5 brakes you wont be able to use them? I have some calipers off of an 03 type-s and I was hoping to throw them onto my 04...

To my knowledge It wont fit. You will need DC5 hubs + braket.

hondaguy92129
07-11-2010, 11:29 PM
:/ damn lol

I keep seeing all kinds of stuff. I found this post from a few years back and it seems like the issue is with the strength of the axles? anyway here is the thread...

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?46265-05-EP3-to-DC5-Brake-Conversion-s

jh604
07-12-2010, 12:20 AM
:/ damn lol

I keep seeing all kinds of stuff. I found this post from a few years back and it seems like the issue is with the strength of the axles? anyway here is the thread...

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?46265-05-EP3-to-DC5-Brake-Conversion-s

Well if you go with a type-s kuckle you need type-s axles because they are larger at the knuckle end. upgrading the calipers to type-s calipers are useless because the caliper piston is only 2mm(ithink) larger. you dont want larger pistons...you want more and smaller pistons.

spartan
07-12-2010, 03:52 AM
these brakes aren't a bad upgrade, it's just not the best idea goin this route. Go DC5 ITR brake upgrade; Brembo :) cost you a little more then $1k.
Or go with aftermarket.
Like Wilwood.
or Stop-Tech...

Heitzke
07-12-2010, 06:58 AM
whoa guys. The EP3 type-r caliper is essentially the same thing as the Type-S caliper, so it will fit fine on the 04-05 EP with the correct size rotor. No need for knuckles or anything crazy unless you're a 4-lugger.

RedSiBaron
07-12-2010, 09:00 AM
these brakes aren't a bad upgrade, it's just not the best idea goin this route. Go DC5 ITR brake upgrade; Brembo :) cost you a little more then $1k.
Or go with aftermarket.
Like Wilwood.
or Stop-Tech...

these calipers arent any different true, but the slightly larger diameter from the rotors will be helpful, but in all honesty the 04/05 ep has more than enough braking, unless you are on the track you dont need bigger brakes...and wilwoods are trash...dont know enough about stop tech...if you go big, go brembo or just dont waste your money

whoa guys. The EP3 type-r caliper is essentially the same thing as the Type-S caliper, so it will fit fine on the 04-05 EP with the correct size rotor. No need for knuckles or anything crazy unless you're a 4-lugger.

thanks for saying it buddy, i really didnt want to go into it all...i would have been meaner than "whoa guys" hahaha

maccrap
07-12-2010, 09:16 AM

thank you.. this is what i was looking for... Pretty much i got the calipers and pads for $50 from a friend who owed me money... i have a black 04 si and am in need of brakes... was gonna just replace the factory parts and realized i had these sitting in storage. wanted to just get use out of them... and not have to pay xtra $$ for stock replacement. they are just going onto my daily... so again.. thanks for the help.. im going to go price out rsx-s rotors...

thisisagame24
07-12-2010, 10:50 AM
i didnt know CTR calipers have " type r " on them. news to me

chiwhitesi
07-12-2010, 10:55 AM
those are the calipers of a 25th anniversary EP3-R

thisisagame24
07-12-2010, 11:23 AM
those are the calipers of a 25th anniversary EP3-R

after some more research. those calipers are from the "special edition" 2005 type r, which is the 32nd year of the type r

maestro
07-12-2010, 02:05 PM
Also, just to add, the stock lines will not fit perfectly...you will need to either Type-S lines or some SS ones. You could use the EP's and disconnect the mounting bracket that holds it to the suspension, but that should be only a temporary solution.

hondaguy92129
07-12-2010, 10:03 PM
goooood haha muchas gracias amigos looks like im off to get some new brake lines then :D

Tougeep3
07-13-2010, 04:34 AM
dont know enough about stop tech...

stop tech makes the brakes for this:

http://www.amcarguide.com/wp-content/gallery/acr-viper-2008/1-2008-dodge-viper-acr.jpg

As far as I can tell they're like the new Brembo..

thisisagame24
07-13-2010, 10:15 AM
these calipers arent any different true, but the slightly larger diameter from the rotors will be helpful, but in all honesty the 04/05 ep has more than enough braking, unless you are on the track you dont need bigger brakes...and wilwoods are trash...dont know enough about stop tech...if you go big, go brembo or just dont waste your money

and why do you say this? several memebers on here have them with no complaints including myself, and another member who tracks his ep regularly

Twisted-X
07-13-2010, 02:14 PM
and why do you say this? several memebers on here have them with no complaints including myself, and another member who tracks his ep regularly

Also in wondering about this?
20CiviC02Si (Jake) said he loved his Wilwoods...

chiwhitesi
07-13-2010, 02:22 PM
ahh thank you for that, i must have read incorrectly

RedSiBaron
07-13-2010, 04:02 PM

Also in wondering about this?
20CiviC02Si (Jake) said he loved his Wilwoods...

and all the much higher level racers i know, as in scca national champions and a company in indianapolis that has been building braking systems, drive train, and suspensions...actually no entire cars, for indy and open wheeled racing for over 30 years...They all consider wilwood to be junk...i know jake, and i know he tracked his car, but he didnt put it through the stress that a gt-lite class racer would go through...

now that said, would i really worry about wilwoods, probably not, im sure they are fine for most anyone on here considering most people on here dont even use the full potential of the stock brakes but still upgrade :shrug:...but personally id much rather buy stop tech or brembo from what ive heard...

LLH
07-13-2010, 05:04 PM

after some more research. those calipers are from the "special edition" 2005 type r, which is the 32nd year of the type r
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
THAT :D

Anyways, since i got the edm type r i can say that with the CTR/type-S setup, a good brakepad, and fresh(i get mine checked/changed every 10.000km) honda mtf4 brakefluid. You will not have any problems doing 15-20 minute sessions on a track, depending on track layout of course..
If your car is basicly stock, and with no temprature/pressuere monitoring on oil and water, thats in my opinion, as far as one should push it. Another thing is that your tires(extreme perfomance and lower perfomance) most likely cant handle anything more either. On a hot summer day (25celcius), i quit before the car. Air con is overrated:mangel:
That said, since you already have the calipers, the most expencive thing. It will end up as a somewhat cheap upgrade, that in the end also gives you a few more brakepads to choose from(EP3 R, S2000 and RSX-S) AFAIK :)

Twisted-X
07-15-2010, 02:07 PM
and all the much higher level racers i know, as in scca national champions and a company in indianapolis that has been building braking systems, drive train, and suspensions...actually no entire cars, for indy and open wheeled racing for over 30 years...They all consider wilwood to be junk...i know jake, and i know he tracked his car, but he didnt put it through the stress that a gt-lite class racer would go through...

now that said, would i really worry about wilwoods, probably not, im sure they are fine for most anyone on here considering most people on here dont even use the full potential of the stock brakes but still upgrade :shrug:...but personally id much rather buy stop tech or brembo from what ive heard...

I upgraded my pads to HP+, my fluid to ATE DOT4, and have braided lines front/rear and still had a fair amount of brake fade after fifteen minutes on a road course.:mrolleyes:
So I asked Jake what brakes he was using and how he liked them and he suggested the Wilwoods, which after some consideration is probably the way I'll go. Brembo front brake kits are $2800 msrp, Stoptech are $2000 msrp, Wilwood is $700.
I can't justify spending $2000+ (just the fronts) for brakes that are made for a class racer.