PDA

View Full Version : Engine randomly stalls

RoyVegasPinoy
07-13-2010, 03:22 AM
Edit:

It happens when I'm slowing down to a stop. I press the clutch or shift to neutral and watch the rpms drop to idle. Sometimes it drops below idle. Sometimes it drops too low and the engine stalls. It idles normally at 1k without fluctuation. So what's causing the rpms to overshoot below idle?

Update: Found solution to my problem. Just did a simple adjustment in kpro of the idle duty cycle slider as noted by Hondata, and it no longer drops below 1k rpm. If you don't have kpro, other possible solutions are posted here as well.

7. Increase the engine speed to 2500 - 3000 rpm and abruptly let off the throttle. If the engine speed dips below 850 rpm, move the duty cycle slider to the right. If the engine speed hangs above 850rpm for some time, move the duty cycle slider to left.

FoReVaPmP
07-13-2010, 05:53 AM
Altinator..... is my first guess....

what type of fuel system are you running???.... Do you haz an aftermarket fuel pump? Fuel Rail???...

cstein989
07-19-2010, 02:11 PM
hey man my car does the same EXACT thing but i have no idea what it could be either.

I just had my clutch replaced a few months ago so i doubt thats what it is...

Im thinking its the alternator also but post up if you do figure out whats goin on.

johnkimble
07-19-2010, 02:17 PM
how many miles on the clutch?

talonXracer
07-19-2010, 02:42 PM
It can just be a hiccup in the idle system, I wouldnt worry about it too much unless it happens more frequently than you are seeing.

white_cOmet
07-21-2010, 02:36 PM
Hey I have the same problem as you Roy and I am almost pretty sure that it's a idle problem. You'll notice that you're car will stall either when you are in the process of stopping, or when you shift at a low rpm it could stall (mostly when downshifting), also it could stall when its parked idling and you move the steering wheel around. You'll need to replace your IAVC (Idle Air Valve Control) or IACV cant remember for sure. I didn't replace it for a really long time and it is really annoying even tho I got used to it by just jumping it by dropping in 2nd gear and engage the clutch while rolling while its stalled.

66elwood99
07-22-2010, 05:35 AM
This occurred in my 98 Accord and it was the "steering switch" or ignition switch. As you rolled to a stop, the rpm's would drop below idle and the engine just shut off. I noticed that they changed the whole switch design, so I don't know if it could be that! But it is all the same symptoms that white_cOmet is describing.

talonXracer
07-22-2010, 05:49 AM
This occurred in my 98 Accord and it was the "steering switch" or ignition switch. As you rolled to a stop, the rpm's would drop below idle and the engine just shut off. I noticed that they changed the whole switch design, so I don't know if it could be that! But it is all the same symptoms that white_cOmet is describing.

There are no mechanical switchs, it is all electronics now.

The IACV could just need to be cleaned and soaked in penetrating oil.

RoyVegasPinoy
07-29-2010, 06:31 AM
So I've narrowed down how it happens, but still don't know why. It has happened more commonly now, mainly because I'm beginning to learn how to make it happen.

It happens when I'm slowing down to a stop. I press the clutch or shift to neutral and watch the rpms drop to idle. Sometimes it drops below idle. Sometimes it drops too low and the engine stalls. It idles normally at 1k without fluctuation. So what's causing the rpms to overshoot below idle?

T_Virus
07-29-2010, 12:28 PM
I'm having the same thing with my ep stalling at a stop in either gear with the clutch pressed or in netural but it doesn't happen that often unless if I clear the misfire codes.

RoyVegasPinoy
08-07-2010, 01:55 AM
So I've narrowed down how it happens, but still don't know why. It has happened more commonly now, mainly because I'm beginning to learn how to make it happen.

Bump for added details.

clujalolo
08-24-2010, 10:12 PM
i have the exact same problem...mine happens quite abit. ive been to lazy to fix it.

one of my friends said it could be the Throttle position sensor? he said his did the samething on his 2000 civic si B16. but we have a k20 so it could be different reason.

RoyVegasPinoy
08-24-2010, 10:38 PM
Thanks for bumping this, as I'm still having this problem. Does your rpms drop below idle too when you're slowing down and press the clutch/shift to neutral? That's what's been causing my stall.

T_Virus
08-25-2010, 12:13 PM
I haven't solved mine yet too.

clujalolo
08-26-2010, 06:58 PM
Thanks for bumping this, as I'm still having this problem. Does your rpms drop below idle too when you're slowing down and press the clutch/shift to neutral? That's what's been causing my stall.

yeh, when im slowing down and i press the clutch the rpms drop really low and sometimes it stalls. and most of the time i dont even notice its turned off until i try to turn the steering and notice its really stiff lol. also i noticed that if i rev my car just slightly, and when the rpms drop the rpm doesnt always stop at the regular idle, it goes really low....ok so from just looking at the manual...there is a TP sensor. but says its not replaceable unless the throttle body is replaced....but WHAT could causing the car to do this?

RoyVegasPinoy
08-27-2010, 03:54 PM
ok so from just looking at the manual...there is a TP sensor. but says its not replaceable unless the throttle body is replaced....but WHAT could causing the car to do this?

I have some responses from clubrsx, and one that could potentially fix it all.

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=735143
http://www.d-series.org/forums/general-tech/92751-bad-iac-valve-odd-cold-idle-deceleration-stall-issue.html

Do you guys have kpro too? If you do, this is what I'm going to try. From Hondata:

7. Increase the engine speed to 2500 - 3000 rpm and abruptly let off the throttle. If the engine speed dips below 850 rpm, move the duty cycle slider to the right. If the engine speed hangs above 850rpm for some time, move the duty cycle slider to left.

Ba82Ep3
08-27-2010, 06:11 PM
If you do the above and your engine idle is still off, then its likely time to clean out the IACV as Doug suggested.

I had the same issue with mine when the engine sat for about two months without use while i was collecting everything to swap in my k24a1. It didnt want to idle properly, so i messed with the slider for the IACV in KPro. It would improve while i sat in my parking spot, but as i tried to drive it would either idle way too high... or stall... depending on the direction of the adjustment.

I did the DIY for the IACV and problem solved. Youd be surprised the crap that collects on that little rotor in the IACV... even through normal use.

RoyVegasPinoy
08-27-2010, 09:43 PM
If you do the above and your engine idle is still off, then its likely time to clean out the IACV as Doug suggested.

I had the same issue with mine when the engine sat for about two months without use while i was collecting everything to swap in my k24a1. It didnt want to idle properly, so i messed with the slider for the IACV in KPro. It would improve while i sat in my parking spot, but as i tried to drive it would either idle way too high... or stall... depending on the direction of the adjustment.

I did the DIY for the IACV and problem solved. Youd be surprised the crap that collects on that little rotor in the IACV... even through normal use.

Woohoo! The duty cycle slider did the trick! The rpms drop right to 1k rpm and stays there. I love it when these things end up to be an easy fix! Try it out if you have kpro. Hopefully it works for you guys too! Otherwise, the other links I posted had a few other good suggestions as well.

clujalolo
09-01-2010, 10:15 PM
Woohoo! The duty cycle slider did the trick! The rpms drop right to 1k rpm and stays there. I love it when these things end up to be an easy fix! Try it out if you have kpro. Hopefully it works for you guys too! Otherwise, the other links I posted had a few other good suggestions as well.

man...i wish i still had Kpro...i sold mine like 6 months ago. arg! i guess i clean out the IACV....how do u do that lol?