PDA

View Full Version : Do i need a new clutch?

Mighty_Mouse_Ep
07-13-2010, 06:50 PM
So i think my car is mad at me cause i thought about selling her. Today when driving back home from the gym i start having a really hard time shifting into any gear so i baby the car home. I pop off the shifter cover to check out the linkages, i also check out the linkages in the engine bay and everything looks good. The car shifts perfectly fine when the car is off and everything is smooth. When i start the car and shift it into gear it makes a wining noise/ buzzing noise. The car has about 92k miles on it and i think the clutch is going out. I was reading a thread and someone said one of the springs on their clutch disk snapped. SO what are your thoughts, do you guys think it is my clutch or something else. Also last week i changed the tranny fluid 2 quarts of penzoyl synchromesh.

Draw7Seven
07-13-2010, 06:54 PM
What year is the car? The lifespan on our CMC's is one of the lowest in the engine bay.

Mighty_Mouse_Ep
07-13-2010, 07:00 PM
The car is an 04 i am the original owner of the car.

VIZHUNZ02SI
07-13-2010, 07:06 PM
theres alot on possibilities. from a simple thing as the slave cylinder going bad to a cmc goin bad to syncros going out or in my case at one point the cluth needed replacing

beechstreet
07-13-2010, 08:02 PM
im gonna vote one of your springs failed. i had the same symptoms when one of my springs gave out.

mAtAs2U
07-13-2010, 08:07 PM
i had the same thing happen to me ..Result.......NEW CLUTCH.......take your time and call around to get best price if u lived down here in Socal i could have referred you to a shop who did mine for hella cheap.....

VIZHUNZ02SI
07-13-2010, 10:12 PM
same here with the pos act hd cc.

Mighty_Mouse_Ep
07-13-2010, 10:28 PM
Yeah i am pretty sure it is the springs that failed. I think i am gonna go with something mild maybe just a stage one clutch and pressure plate kit. So how hard is it to change out a clutch on a k-seires?

beechstreet
07-14-2010, 12:13 AM
Yeah i am pretty sure it is the springs that failed. I think i am gonna go with something mild maybe just a stage one clutch and pressure plate kit. So how hard is it to change out a clutch on a k-seires?

if youve done one on a honda (or any car really) you wont have much of a problem. the only nuisance is the subframe and popping the cv axles out. i'd suggest an air hammer with a narrow chisel attachment to free up the axles from the hubs. do not hammer them out since the spindles on the OEm axles like to mushroom and you'll never get the nut back on. I had to replace both axles because my friend helping me drop the tranny insisted that hammering the spindles wouldnt cause any problems lol. do you have a copy of the big green honda service manual? if not, find a copy of the PDF thats floating around and just print out the pages for dropping the tranny. possible norcalep3 DIY day?

Mighty_Mouse_Ep
07-14-2010, 10:57 AM
i had the same thing happen to me ..Result.......NEW CLUTCH.......take your time and call around to get best price if u lived down here in Socal i could have referred you to a shop who did mine for hella cheap.....

Whats a good price on a clutch job for just the labor how much did you pay to have yours done?

Si Death
07-14-2010, 12:07 PM

would love to know for future clutch install

POOPTOOTH
07-14-2010, 12:49 PM
Clutch disk spring for sure. Comp clutch sells an OEM replacement that is really affordable and good quality.

mAtAs2U
07-14-2010, 01:01 PM
Whats a good price on a clutch job for just the labor how much did you pay to have yours done?

$600.00 thats with Parts and Labor already

Mighty_Mouse_Ep
07-14-2010, 03:00 PM
$600.00 thats with Parts and Labor already

That is a pretty good deal i got quoted 625 for just labor with out parts.

27rocks
07-14-2010, 03:56 PM
Sounds like the spring man. That's exactly what happened to mine.

Labor wise be expected to pay around $500-$600. It's like a 6 hour job or something like that.

I have dropped my tranny twice already all by myself and it was not fun. It's honestly no that hard but by yourself its a pain in the ass.

Good luck man.

Civic5lug
07-14-2010, 06:42 PM
Comp Clutch FTW

usedep3
07-14-2010, 10:19 PM
i had a similar problem, but instead of a spring coming loose on the clutch, i had one of the brackets break off of the throwout bearing

tunner2307
07-14-2010, 10:39 PM
625$ without parts??? Are you kidding?! I paid 250$ for the labor.

Mighty_Mouse_Ep
07-15-2010, 10:53 AM
625$ without parts??? Are you kidding?! I paid 250$ for the labor.

Yeah i loled when i heard the price and he said thats with a discount. I found a local guy from crsx that can do it for 300

RedSiBaron
07-23-2010, 01:07 PM
did you ever find out what the culprit is?