PDA

View Full Version : losing power at 4000 rpm, runs normal up to 4000 then chokes off

66elwood99
07-14-2010, 11:49 AM
I was heading to the store to get supplies for the Iron Maiden, Dream Theater concert tonight. I came off the highway and stop at the light. I proceeded to pull from the light and then jumped on it a little in second and when I hit 4000 rpm, the car loses power and the engine bogs down. I did see after I got home that the check engine light came on. I don't have time to get to Autozone or such to have it read. I'm hoping someone has an idea and I can go and enjoy the concert and not have to worry about whats wrong with my egg. Oil level is good, never have cleaned the throttle body? I'm at 133000 miles. Any ideas? Being the worlds worst searcher I didn't find an answer....

Heitzke
07-14-2010, 12:05 PM
Sounds like a case of the K20A3itis.

jk, you should get that CEL checked out, you're in 'safe mode'.

66elwood99
07-14-2010, 12:19 PM
Thanks

oneglory
07-14-2010, 02:27 PM
yay for limp mode. Get that CEL!

open up the bookie.

I got 50 to 1 odds on the IACV!

SUSHI_NE1
07-14-2010, 03:14 PM
I would go with IACV but I have the same thing going on and I replaced my IACV and STILL... Same BS. Hope you can figure it out and let me and everyone else know what you come up with... GOODLUCK!

SUSHI_NE1
07-14-2010, 03:17 PM
Oh yeah!... How the hell do you get out of "Safe Mode" if you are in safe mode?

civicSIracer
07-14-2010, 04:53 PM
Oh yeah!... How the hell do you get out of "Safe Mode" if you are in safe mode?

read the code, fix the car, erase code.

Passenger
07-14-2010, 08:58 PM
It is an oil related thing isn't it?

02_epdriver
07-15-2010, 07:06 AM
Take off your vtec solenoid and clean the screen behind hit. Change your oil or add some to bring it back up to normal level. It's usually the same cel that comes up. Do those two things you should be alright. I had the same problem. Cleaned the screen and change the oil and it was fine.

66elwood99
07-15-2010, 09:40 AM
Just got back from Autozone, it is Code P1259....... Their reading stated "Manufacture Control Fuel Air Metering"

..... being it's 90 degrees outside I going to wait for evening and clean it out. I changed the oil not too long ago, but I guess I'll change it again...... could my 5W 30 weight be an issue?

Like I said, I'm the world worst searcher, after getting back with the code, I search the code and find several threads pertaining to the same thing, I guess I should have searched 4k instead of 4000....Teaching old dogs new tricks is pretty difficult.

02_epdriver
07-17-2010, 12:55 AM
Just got back from Autozone, it is Code P1259....... Their reading stated "Manufacture Control Fuel Air Metering"

..... being it's 90 degrees outside I going to wait for evening and clean it out. I changed the oil not too long ago, but I guess I'll change it again...... could my 5W 30 weight be an issue?

Like I said, I'm the world worst searcher, after getting back with the code, I search the code and find several threads pertaining to the same thing, I guess I should have searched 4k instead of 4000....Teaching old dogs new tricks is pretty difficult.

p1259 is also vtec system malfunction. What is your oil level reading at? I would take the vtec solenoid off and clean the filter screen before going ahead and changing your oil again. This has happened to me twice in the past and the 2nd time the screen wasnt really dirty but I changed the oil and it stopped. Kinda wierd but it makes a wierd noise and stops at 4k rpm. There is like 3 10mm bolts that support the solenoid on. Not to bad getting it and go ahead and clean around the area while you have it off. Try that and see how it goes for ya. Keep an update. You could also replace the screen like I did the 1st time but thats just me being picky about things like I am.

Try all this 1st I also read that P1259 could be an oil pressure switch too which would probably lead it to stay in safe mode. DO the cleaning 1st and if that doesnt work then replace your oil pressure switch

66elwood99
07-17-2010, 06:16 AM
I went to take off the solenoid and being that I have 133000 miles and experienced 8 winters, the three bolts are very rusted. I'm getting a new filter(screen) and bolts. I don't want to put the old rusted ones back on.

After having the code read, the car was no longer in "safe mode" and I checked all the wires and connections and then reset the ecu and it still (knocks on wood) hasn't came back on. I'm still going to change the little filter in there.

I didn't want to start another thread about this issue, but I didn't have the code, I was looking for some reassurance that the car wasn't in need of something "big" and I could enjoy the concert. Thanks for the input. I'll update for future reference.

02_epdriver
07-17-2010, 09:07 PM
Not a prob, let us know.

Ronnie
07-17-2010, 10:33 PM
glad i found this threat b/c I was about to ask the same question
1. My ep3 does that at 6000 rpms
2. My GD3 does it at 5000 rpms

- its vtec solenoid still ?

66elwood99
07-18-2010, 06:37 AM
Picked up new bolts and filter, got old ones out and filter looked very cloudy and clogged. Cleaned up electrical connections, placed new filter on and re-installed. This time I used the new bolts that my local stealership charged me above list cost for, only to have one break off just as it began to get tight. Now I have only the lower and outer bolt holding the valve assembly on.... yet I'm met with another failure... this seems to by my life's motto..... I let it run for awhile and can't see any oil leakage, but how long can that hold up? I can only imagine what it will cost to have someone tap that out...they'll probably have to drop the engine..I'm so frustrated right now

on a good note "no cell returned" so far.....

Ronnie are you getting the same code?

Ronnie
07-18-2010, 09:14 PM
damn it , autozone gives me no code at all, and I don't have a goddamn CEL at all..
its so pissing me off right now b/c my GD3 has always been drove nicely and never been abused , i only used to go to college for christ sake and now its giving me a hard time

MBaG
07-19-2010, 12:06 AM
try resetting the ecu ronnie. sometimes that's all it takes.

EDIT: & if the CEL does come back, then i would think it should throw a code.

Ronnie
07-21-2010, 10:40 PM
so I reseted the ecu on both rides nothing changes
GD3 is still losses at 5K rpm
took out the vtec solenoid and that shit was clean as fuck.
- its totally weird though

any other idea guys ???
am in a big trouble here :thumbd:

02_epdriver
07-22-2010, 12:26 AM
Ronnie if your rides are cutting out higher than 4k then it's got to be something else. Try replacing the oil pressure switch.