PDA

View Full Version : some pics of my stereo install.

chunky
12-08-2002, 08:36 PM
it's kinda ghetto right now, wiring needs to be trimmed down to size and arranged properly.

everything was done by me, running all the wires, building the sub box, etc. It may not look like much, but it sounds amazing.

chunky
12-08-2002, 08:39 PM
crappy fitting metra kit. I can pull it out about 1/2 cm with my bare hands.

chunky
12-08-2002, 08:41 PM
the next two pics reflect the gap that exists between the trim kit and the dash piece. there is quite a bit of play.

chunky
12-08-2002, 08:41 PM
pushing up.

chunky
12-08-2002, 08:42 PM
trunk view.

chunky
12-08-2002, 08:43 PM
the u.s. acoustics amp that sits behind the sub box. when I take out the sub box, the amp remains in the car so I can still have music w/o the extra weight of the sub when the need arises.

chunky
12-08-2002, 08:44 PM
generic interior shot.

IceD out N CALI
12-08-2002, 09:06 PM
bet you have some deep bass. a little off topic, but do you have any Fm or Am reception problems? reason i ask is i put in a sub back there and fm reception is not that good anymore

chunky
12-08-2002, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by IceD out N CALI
bet you have some deep bass. a little off topic, but do you have any Fm or Am reception problems? reason i ask is i put in a sub back there and fm reception is not that good anymore

yes, i have very deep bass. my system is crossed over at 65hz right now. the sub works exclusively from 65hz down to about 20hz.

I haven't had any fm reception problems. AM reception did go south somewhat, but i think it largely depends on how good the tuner in your aftermarket head unit is.

Jpax
12-08-2002, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by chunky

yes, i have very deep bass. my system is crossed over at 65hz right now. the sub works exclusively from 65hz down to about 20hz.

I haven't had any fm reception problems. AM reception did go south somewhat, but i think it largely depends on how good the tuner in your aftermarket head unit is.

Looks like you need some more work on the stereo, the wires are a little messy. but i bet it hits.

chunky
12-09-2002, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by PaXiE

Looks like you need some more work on the stereo, the wires are a little messy. but i bet it hits.

yeah, i'm gonna clean up most of the wires sometime this week. and when i get the cap, i'll clean up the power cables. I always like to leave a little extra cable so I can make up my mind about how I want to arrange the speakers/amps etc.

HondaCivicSi
12-09-2002, 02:38 PM
Got TP?:p

chunky
12-09-2002, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by HondaCivicSi
Got TP?:p

there's a story behind that. The 2nd amp isn't screwed down yet, so one day I went over this harsh bump, and my amp made contact with the banana terminals that go into my sub box. evidently the positive crossed with the negative and I had really horrible sounding bass for a few seconds before I could turn the system off.

fortunately, no damage, no blown fuses, no blown speakers. So now that piece of towel paper is there to keep that from happening again before I get the wires and crap neatened up.

IceD out N CALI
12-09-2002, 11:22 PM
your box is huge for just that one woofer. how low is that box tuned to? and how long are the ports?

chunky
12-09-2002, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by IceD out N CALI
your box is huge for just that one woofer. how low is that box tuned to? and how long are the ports?

the box is tuned to 20hz to match the FS of my sub which is 20hz as well.

the port ended up being something like 15" long or something and 3" inside diameter.

The port fires out the side (the side opposite to the side where the gas filler cap is, right side)

it has really great low frequency extension. It can pound out bass notes that most other 12's barely squeeze out.

the only downside is that it has to be crossed over really low at 65hz.

most people with 12" subs end up crossing over at 100-150hz, and people with 10" and 8" subs cross over at 150-200hz.

my one 12 hits as low as most 15" subs, but it can't get anywhere near as loud as a 15", well, maybe a cheap 15".