PDA

View Full Version : K20a2 w/Kpro tuning help

sleep3
07-14-2010, 07:42 PM
Hello, i purchased a 02 Ep3 3 weeks ago, and seem to have a couple issues,
the car is a2 swapped with headers, intake, type r internals, 440 injectors, fuel rail, and running Kpro.

Now, it seems to be running really slow.. The previous owner said it could take a stock S2k, but i can hardly beat a R18 civic. And i raced my buddys 08 si (k20z3 with intake, and a cat back) and he pulled on me quite a bit.

Ive looked into my ECU with K manager and everything seems to correct, air fuel ratio is good, so i assume its not really my tune thats wrong.. Where is my loss in power coming from??

Ill be bringing into Motion Performance in a week or so, but I'd like to possibly problem solve the issue before than to save me some money.

johnkimble
07-14-2010, 08:39 PM
is it really an a2?

POOPTOOTH
07-14-2010, 10:09 PM
Lol, I was kinda thinking the same thing...

Isn't a 'r18' civic like our 'DX' here in the states? Its a single cam if I'm not mistaken. And you can "barely" beat him? Somethings smells a little funny there.

Who knows man, throw it on a dyno and see where you are. You could also try throwing your .kal onto the hondata forums or even k20a.org/clubrsx to see if anyone can critique or give you some assistance.

...or you could just have a lemon of a motor... :mangel:

RHCP0801
07-15-2010, 09:31 AM
r18 is the 06+ civic ex lx and dx

POOPTOOTH
07-15-2010, 11:01 AM
Thats what I was afraid of. If your setup is what you say it is, or what the seller 'told' you it was, then something is SEVERELY wrong. You should be urinating all over those single cams, not too mention s2k's and fg's.

T_Virus
07-15-2010, 12:09 PM
unless the r18 has a k24 swap...lol...

POOPTOOTH
07-15-2010, 01:46 PM
Or that...lol.

sleep3
07-15-2010, 09:10 PM
Yes its an A2, It says on the block. The car had a check engine light, but the owner said it was cause of the swap. But i ran the code and it was running lean on fuel. After talking to the seller he said that the car had the code since he bought the car 2 years ago. So.. It appears to have been running lean for quite some time now.

This would damage the motor correct?

tomorrow after work I'm gonna comp. test it and well if that gives us any results.

PS the civic actually beat me, but i had 4 people and subs in the car.. (+500 pounds )

RHCP0801
07-15-2010, 10:28 PM
doesnt matter you still should of won

sleep3
07-16-2010, 02:46 PM
Well i didnt. And that is a big problem. Ill be Heading to my friends shop to compression test in 2 hours. Will report with numbers.

johnkimble
07-16-2010, 03:52 PM
wow, running lean for any sustained amount of time will definitely cause damage to the pistons.

there used to be a picture of the same pistions with different levels of richness/leanness over time and the lean ones were really torn/burnt up. what happens is the top of the piston gets hotter than it can sustain and begins to burn/melt and ultimately deform, which can surely cause problems with your compression and engine performance.

i'm curious to find out what you come back with after your comp test

02_epdriver
07-16-2010, 11:33 PM
also what do your spark plugs look like? That will ive you another indication if your rich or lean

Andrew
07-16-2010, 11:36 PM
Lol, I was kinda thinking the same thing...

Isn't a 'r18' civic like our 'DX' here in the states? Its a single cam if I'm not mistaken. And you can "barely" beat him? Somethings smells a little funny there.

Who knows man, throw it on a dyno and see where you are. You could also try throwing your .kal onto the hondata forums or even k20a.org/clubrsx to see if anyone can critique or give you some assistance.

...or you could just have a lemon of a motor... :mangel:

r18 is the 06+ civic ex lx and dx

hondata actually made flashpro i think for the r18 civic and on a dyno graph it states that the r18 dx is faster than the ep3. i still dont believe it that cant be possible imo

but good luck to the op, hope your compression test comes out on an A+ note

sleep3
07-17-2010, 09:02 AM
efefefefefefefefeffff , running about 140 psi, take note these are type r internals..

RHCP0801
07-17-2010, 12:43 PM
hondata actually made flashpro i think for the r18 civic and on a dyno graph it states that the r18 dx is faster than the ep3. i still dont believe it that cant be possible imo

but good luck to the op, hope your compression test comes out on an A+ note

he said he has an a2 in the car

sleep3
08-03-2010, 08:44 PM
alright folks, were back to square one. Turns out the guy helping me do the comp test it did it incorrectly (which is weird cause hes a mechanic running a boosted b18 lol)

anyways the compression is good (about 185- 190)

BUT WHERE THE HECK IS MY POWER LOSS????

note: (im currently back to my stock tune w/ 440cc injectors)

sleep3
08-03-2010, 08:45 PM
and i raced that R18 again, win through 1st 2nd 3rd but 4th he started to gain again... like wth?

superchargedk20
08-04-2010, 03:15 PM
I dont get it... Ur first post u said u have a good a/f ratio... Then later on u say ur running lean? How can u have a good a/f and run lean? Is the vtec working?

ep3_2_envy
08-05-2010, 10:01 AM
maybe it leans out in the 9-10k rpm range--> driver mod.? just sayin. with that cel being on and reading that code i dont think id be racing anyone.

sleep3
08-06-2010, 04:17 PM
Sorry for all the confusing updates, you guys are just as confused as me. And i am still learning about a lot stuff..

Yesterday i went for a drive with a friend who actually knows stuff about fuel maps and etc. Turns out the reason my car is gutless, is because its running ridiculously rich. it runs fine normally, but as soon as it hits vtec, the second fuel map goes nuts and dumps fuel, (about 12.1 a/f) so you'd think you'd just take away fuel in the vtec stage right? But we couldnt get it to run right. We'd take away fuel bit by bit, but it just didnt improve really..

Does anybody know why kpro wouldn't adjust the fuel management properly?

(He knew what he was doing, I dont so much, about tuning so my info on what he was trying is limited)

sleep3
08-06-2010, 04:19 PM
I dont get it... Ur first post u said u have a good a/f ratio... Then later on u say ur running lean? How can u have a good a/f and run lean? Is the vtec working?

Vtec kicks in yes, but I dont know why the ECU is throwing a "Lean" code.. according the the k manager graphs its running very rich... weird

superchargedk20
08-07-2010, 12:18 AM
Vtec kicks in yes, but I dont know why the ECU is throwing a "Lean" code.. according the the k manager graphs its running very rich... weird

could be a bad o2 sensor. Once ur WOT the ecu takes over ur a/f. Thats why ur rich at full throttle. But ur part throttle might be whats causing ur lean code. See what ur a/f is at part throttle and see if its lean then. Do u have a wideband gauge? Find out exactly what the code reads. If its something along the lines of " Car STUCK in lean" . Then u need a new o2 sensor