PDA

View Full Version : Geico Insurance

mugen03
07-16-2010, 07:43 AM
First off does anyone here have Geico car insurance? I currently have progressive and I was wanting to switch. I got a quote wither Geico and found out I actually could be saving 15% or more by switching :tehe: So i was going to set it up then he asked me "do you have any mods on the car?" so i figured time to brag a little, so i tell him what i have done. He then tells me that due to my car being "modded" Geico can not provide me with insurance because its not stock and im more of a reliability because "i have parts that make it go faster" I understand if they wouldnt want "teenage street racers" who dont have as much time behind the wheel, but im a 26 year old with no tickets on my record. Have any of you came across this with other insurance places? I didnt want to tell him I was stock due to if something happened to my car like parts being stolen or whatever they knew i had those parts from the start and i want everything to be covered.

EPSU3
07-16-2010, 08:16 AM
I have gieco and all they asked me was if the car had any permanent modifications. I said no because nothing is permanent. I'm 24 and pay $147 a month for full coverage on my 03 EP and 04 CRV with $500 dollar deductible across the board. That covers myself and my wife. Which I consider pretty good because I had to claim a hit and run when someone hit me last year and through State Farm I paid $160 a month just for the EP.

Jukka
07-16-2010, 08:28 AM
Alot of the cheaper/discount insurance companies are like that. My girlfriend was with this super super cheap company up here called TD waterhouse, she was paying something like $60 a month for full coverage and a $1000 deductable on her 94 celica ST coupe, and about 3 months after her coverage started, they told her she needs to go to some shop to get pictures taken of her car for the company. She had no mods done to it (except for a short ram, but we put the factory intake box back in for the pics), a TRD spoiler (actual TRD from Toyota, japan of course, but still from Toyota), and a set of 15" Borbet wheels. They revoked her insurance, told her that she had 30 days to find a new company or they would charge her with insurance fraud for lying about modifications. Lying about modifications because she had what is technicaly an oem optional spoiler and a set of wheels. I donno what the laws are like down there, but up here, if you get charged with insurance fraud or get your coverage revoked more than twice, you get royaly fucked for life. I would say if your with a good company, stick with them even if they are more expensive.

talonXracer
07-16-2010, 09:44 AM
Both Geico and Progressive would have cost me big bucks compared to other insurances available.

geico has recently put out the absolutely best commercial lately where the drill instructor is the psychiatrist and a namby pamby nancie is on the couch!

mugen03
07-16-2010, 10:08 AM
so i got an email from geico and it states.

"Per our underwriting guidelines, customizations that we cannot provide a policy for. This is because we are unable to write an appropriate premium for the risk presented by the vehicle or equipment.
For our current policyholders, once we are notified of unacceptable customizations our underwriting department reviews their policy to determine if we can continue to provide coverage for the vehicle.
I hope this answers your questions. If there is anything else we could assist you with, please reply to this email"

so i replied with; so if you "find out" people put tint or a cd player in the vehicle you are providing coverage for your going to revoke their insurance because they "modified" it and it wasnt oem?

superchargedk20
07-16-2010, 10:20 AM
I have geico and I told them my car was stock, I also have full coverage. I got into an accident 2 years ago and everything was covered. THis was with complete Type R replica including type R emblems on the car. All my gauges on the panel. Full CTR rep kit. Lowered. Not to mention my JRSC under the hood. Plus my CTR gauge cluster. They covered all my damage and even replaced my CTR replica front lip that was damage. I love geico!

mugen03
07-16-2010, 10:23 AM
I have geico and I told them my car was stock, I also have full coverage. I got into an accident 2 years and everything was covered. THis was with complete Type R replica including type R emblems on the car. All my gauges on the panel. Full CTR rep kit. Lowered. Not to mention my JRSC under the hood. Plus my CTR gauge cluster. They covered all my damage and even replaced my CTR replica front lip that was damage. I love geico!

Well I guess no one "informed" them you were not stock my friend lol

superchargedk20
07-16-2010, 10:27 AM
Well I guess no one "informed" them you were not stock my friend lol

guess not. THe adjuster comes and takes pics of everything. SO they had visual proof that the car was far from stock. oh well

ttttrigg3r
07-16-2010, 10:27 AM
Both Geico and Progressive would have cost me big bucks compared to other insurances available.

geico has recently put out the absolutely best commercial lately where the drill instructor is the psychiatrist and a namby pamby nancie is on the couch!

"You know what makes me sad? YOU DO ... ya jackwaggon." lol good times

02TWSI
07-16-2010, 05:45 PM
I have geico, they have no idea of my minimal mods. I pay out the ass for full coverage, 21, 1 at fault and 1 not at fault ....

thakid
07-16-2010, 11:01 PM
I have state farm and pay $110 for minimum coverage. I also took drivers ed and a state farm book that lowers insurance. No accidents. You better get some coverage cause imma steal your k24a1 and leave you my b series haha.

introvert
07-16-2010, 11:20 PM
I had Geico about 8 months ago. Was with them for around 4-5 years. Never had to file a claim once. When it came time to renew and they didn't offer a better rate I took a look at Progressive. They ended up saving me around $400-$450 per year. No complaints with either of them. I will admit that Geico's online services are awesome. Rate adjustments, questions answered 24/7 via email or web ticket.

02_epdriver
07-16-2010, 11:59 PM
I use American Family. Have multi vehicle discount with home insurance pkg. Home, 02 EP, 07 Accord, 06 Grand Prix, 04 and 09 Harley Davidson, 07 kawi Ninja. I guess I havent really looked for cheaper stuff. My ins agent is great and easy to deal with.

meetthenewguy
07-17-2010, 07:49 AM
go with Unitrin Ins with me and wifey a 05 ep3 and 05 g35 full coverage is only 190 a month! and they cover all my aftermarket parts!

jedimario
07-17-2010, 08:43 AM
I will never use Progressive. They send agents out to track weekends and autocrosses looking cars they cover so that they can drop them.

That being said, I have never personally gotten insurance (still on my dad's policy), but all I've heard pretty much is that it depends on the agent. There is such a wide variety in the quality of service from each company that I'd believe it.

CHASEEE
07-17-2010, 02:12 PM
I've had Geico for a couple of years now, and have absolutely loved them since switching from State Farm. I pay $119 for full coverage of my 02 EP and an 08 Fit with a $500 deductible. State Farm was absolutely raping us before. Geico's website is phenomenal compared to State Farm's.

Draw7Seven
07-19-2010, 04:41 PM
so i got an email from geico and it states.so i replied with; so if you "find out" people put tint or a cd player in the vehicle you are providing coverage for your going to revoke their insurance because they "modified" it and it wasnt oem?

Insurance companies work by estimating the monetary risk they take on by offering you insurance. If you tell them that you have an aftermarket head unit or a window tint and you want it covered, most companies (including GEICO) would be happy to add some aftermarket parts coverage to your policy, resulting in a slightly higher premium for the increased price of parts. You would just tell them the monetary value of your aftermarket parts, and then if you made a claim, expect to be asked for receipts. However, if you have a turbo kit (or any other performance altering modification) attached to your car, the company has a much more difficult time deciding exactly what the risk is and charging you a premium accordingly ("underwriting the risk"). They already know that you're 26 years old and they already know what your driving record looks like, but they don't know what it means that you have performance mods and it's easier (read: "cheaper") for them to not insure you than to figure it out. And cheaper insurance companies pass those savings on to their customers in the form of lower premiums.

I have geico and I told them my car was stock, I also have full coverage. I got into an accident 2 years ago and everything was covered. THis was with complete Type R replica including type R emblems on the car. All my gauges on the panel. Full CTR rep kit. Lowered. Not to mention my JRSC under the hood. Plus my CTR gauge cluster. They covered all my damage and even replaced my CTR replica front lip that was damage. I love geico!

That's very lucky of you, and in many cases an insurance company will simply pay out on a claim rather than hassle you with the details of what you said and when you said it. "Material misrepresentations" are already accounted for in the budgets of companies as large as GEICO, so if it's just a front lip, they'll probably just pay it to keep their customers happy. I'm glad you like GEICO, we like you too! :mwink:

Lying about modifications because she had what is technicaly an oem optional spoiler and a set of wheels.

Let me start by saying that it sounds like that company really wronged you. I agree that a spoiler and a set of wheels shouldn't get anybody taken off the books. However, as I said above, MOST companies would just as soon prefer you to let them know about anything done to the car. If you choose not to tell them about something, you will always run the risk of a fraud charge. One thing you can do is discuss with your agent that you have a couple of cosmetic modifications that you don't want covered: if they're stolen or destroyed, you won't expect the insurance company to replace them with anything except stock parts. Again, I'm sorry that you got your arm twisted, that sounds like pretty strict practices from my perspective.

Draw7Seven
07-19-2010, 04:44 PM
I've had Geico for a couple of years now, and have absolutely loved them since switching from State Farm. I pay $119 for full coverage of my 02 EP and an 08 Fit with a $500 deductible. State Farm was absolutely raping us before. Geico's website is phenomenal compared to State Farm's.

Also this post made my day. Thank you for insuring with GEICO! If anybody else wants a referral code to get a quote or has any insurance questions, please PM me! If I don't know the answer immediately, I work with the experts who do!

02TWSI
07-19-2010, 04:57 PM
....:o!

4angrybadgers
07-20-2010, 05:45 AM
Reading the numbers posted here make me so glad I live in Mississippi. State Farm, full coverage on my EP, $250 deductibles, 26 years old, married, and I paid $445 on my last 6-month bill.

I asked around for estimates last year, just to check. Progressive's estimate was ridiculous, Allstate's was pure un-lubed rape, and Geico didn't save enough to offset the bad customer ratings they've gotten. State Farm has a lot of agents in my city, and the one I've been with for the past 4 years is awesome. Oh, and State Farm automatically dropped my premium and mailed me the refund check on my birthday every year. I love State Farm...

Project Yellow
07-20-2010, 06:09 AM
Sheesh Geico quoted me around the high $400's a month for full coverage. Not happening!

Draw7Seven
07-20-2010, 02:08 PM
Underwriting practices change with the seasons. The best thing you can do for yourself if you're purely budget-minded is shop around OFTEN. Your quote will change even without any of your personal information changing, it's just how the industry works.

idrive
07-20-2010, 04:36 PM
Underwriting practices change with the seasons. The best thing you can do for yourself if you're purely budget-minded is shop around OFTEN. Your quote will change even without any of your personal information changing, it's just how the industry works.

agreed... insurance rates change several times a month. If youre looking for the cheapest car insurance the best thing to do is to go through a broker or general agency - someone who can shop the insurance companies to find you the best rate AND do underwriting IN HOUSE so your rate wont change after a few weeks or months.

another word of advice... your insurance policy isnt a contract - the term shown on your insurance policy is simply the amount of time that your insurance carrier will lock-in your premium for.

SO for example... if you just got a ticket/accident/DUI, RIGHT NOW would be a good time to switch insurance companies and lock-in the rate you currently have (or if your broker is good, even save you some money!) for the next 12 months.
by doing this youre BASICALLY prolonging the amount of time your insurance company can increase your premium and by the time they do, 1 year will have past since your violation.

Draw7Seven
07-20-2010, 04:46 PM
if you just got a ticket/accident/DUI, RIGHT NOW would be a good time to switch insurance companies and lock-in the rate you currently have (or if your broker is good, even save you some money!) for the next 12 months.

Most personal auto policies are now written on a six month basis, perhaps for that very reason. New Hampshire is the exception to that rule, as the state mandates that policies be written on a 12 month basis. Regardless, your advice is good: lock in a rate while your record looks positive.

white_cOmet
07-21-2010, 03:35 PM
Hey Draw7seven I pm'd you with some questions on insurance! I could use some professional advice.

2004ep3hatch
07-22-2010, 05:33 PM
how long dose Gieco look back for any accidents or tickets? I had Gieco for the Saturn and was paying 75 a month for it. went to progressive and now it's 49.00 a month. Draw7, whats up with that? lol. My last infraction was 2007. I'm guessing progressive dose not look that far back? Can you get me a better price then?