PDA

View Full Version : hfp suspension question???

i_love_my_ep3!
07-21-2010, 10:58 AM
ok i have the hfp kit i hear its awsome but it only drops the car 3/4 of an inch

i was wanting to know if u use some skunk2 springs with for now until i get bigger
rims to use with the hfp springs will it ruin or mess up my hfp stocks since the springs
it comes with only drops it 3/4 of an inch?

EPSU3
07-21-2010, 11:51 AM
i'm by no means a suspension expert but I have the hfp kit and thought about this before. From what I've read I've come to the conclusion that the springs and dampers in the kit are made for each other. Although the dampers are stiffer in the HFP kit they are still designed for that particular spring rate and drop rate. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in, but I'd say keep the stock set up. On a 02-03 the hfp drop makes the car look normal. I've been sitting on stock wheels for a year now, rims are coming tomorrow but it doesn't look bad compared to the 4x4 like clearance of stock suspension and 15'' wheels.

PatrickJamesYu
07-21-2010, 12:25 PM
I would assume it would be alright as long as it doesn't bottom out
But I do not recommend it because it putting the addition 2+" by skunk will put the shocks on the lowest part of its stroke range.
closer to bottoming out, and simply putting their idle stroke range quite low compared to the 3/4"
But think of it this way, the 3/4 drop isn't an additional stress to the shocks.
That is standard, so you're not adding the 2.5 inches by skunk2 and the .75" by hfp.
to the hfp kit, it thinks of its self as stock, so the 2.5 inches you add to 0.
So you're not making their stroke range "even" lower, you're simply making it lower from standard.
If you know what I mean.

Most stock shocks can be dropped about 1.5 inches 'safely' as long as it isn't bottoming out
but it does take a percentage of it's life away

Know that if you get bigger rims, you will not experience much of a drop with the hfp.
If youre on 15's right now, and you go with 215/45/17's
you're car will be the ultimate 4x4 even with the 3/4" drop
When I dropped on skunks 2.5/2.0 springs, it felt like the car wasn't 4x4 but it was stock ride height.
If anything, it was probably a centimeter higher than my friends stock ek.
But it did leave less than a 1 finger gap between fender, so the wheels looked dumped

But i'm tihnking since you're going with hfp you're aiming for function<form.
so looking dumped probably wont matter to you, haha

Hasbro
07-21-2010, 01:38 PM
HFPs are pretty desirable for decent handling. You could probably trade them for some coilovers that will get you where you want to go and the HFPs will go to someone that can appreciate them. Win win.

V Read this. Not sure how low you want to go.
http://forums.clubep3.com/showthread.php?t=565170

T_Virus
07-21-2010, 02:40 PM
I'm pretty sure there is a reason why HFP suspensions are only dropped that low. Look at the mugen suspenions, they're not that low too.

socmex7
07-21-2010, 04:26 PM
I'm pretty sure there is a reason why HFP suspensions are only dropped that low. Look at the mugen suspenions, they're not that low too.

our suspension geometry. any lower and it throws things out of wack. zzyzx (sp?) can explain that more in detail. to the op. please don't ruin a perfectly good set of HFP suspension. sell them and get something that will better suit your needs. the HFP is about performance, not aesthetics. hence the initials H F P..

powdbyrice
07-21-2010, 04:26 PM
dang, that's sacriligous!

why waste the HFP suspension? just put the S2 springs on your stock dampers and save the HFP dampers. you can't buy anymore HFP suspension kits. they're all sold out. everywhere. how do we know? cause EPH had a group buy on the remaining kits.

i had the OEM 15's on HFP for a while. its fine. remember, just because you get bigger wheels, that wont fix the wheel gap unless you get bigger tires. but that will throw off your speedometer.

it sounds like you're looking for more of a drop than the HFP will provide. you can probably get $300 for the HFP suspension, depending on the mileage. use that for some raceland coilovers and get the drop that you want.

I am sure you could swap springs, but that would defeat the purpose of buying a complete suspension kit.

Don't know if swapping would ruin it, but I would NOT change the HFP kit. That's what i have now and the height and comfort (for a civic) is great for daily driving.

i_love_my_ep3!
07-21-2010, 05:16 PM
ok thanks for the in puts im not really wanting to SLAM my car just asking if it would work ok but im well aware the fact that you cant buy them anymore so whos wants to buy my kit or trade 33k on them

powdbyrice
07-21-2010, 06:33 PM
To answer the basic question, Yes the springs will work. Someone else put eibachs on their hfp struts.

cronicEP
07-21-2010, 06:59 PM
I have progress sport springs on my HFP and they ride and handle decent, the drop is perfect for what i want. Haven't really pushed this setup to it's limits so i can't tell you how they'll handle under extreme stress. Just don't dump your hfp with skunk2's...i'd say do what everyone says...sell the hfp kit and get coils...also check my members ride page for the height pictures...you can see before and after pics. My avi has my current setup.