PDA

View Full Version : Recommended Springs, Coil overs, and Suspensions

Jiggaboojeff
07-22-2010, 02:39 PM
Hi I bought a 03 ep like a few weeks ago, and I'm just wondering what kind of springs, coil overs, or suspensions I should put on since I know my car has the double wish bone suspension should I just get some springs? I'm just asking for ideas and opinions. THANKS!!!

Hasbro
07-22-2010, 03:01 PM
Unfortunately we don't have double a arms, we have McPherson struts. What do you want to to do with your EP, suspension-wise?

Jiggaboojeff
07-22-2010, 03:11 PM
I was just planing on dropping it an inch or 1 1/2 inch I'm not planing on racing the car anytime soon. The car is bone stock rite now

PatrickJamesYu
07-22-2010, 03:14 PM
So just daily driving?
whats your price range? (roughly)

Jiggaboojeff
07-23-2010, 01:51 PM
It's a commuter car basically and for springs I'm willing to spend no more than $220 and for suspension and coil-overs it depends what brands.

johnkimble
07-23-2010, 02:51 PM
get HFP's.

you may spend a little more than $220 now, but you won't have to go back and replace your struts if you just did springs (because your stock ones can't last at a lower height). and you won't need a camber kit.

2K3 EP3
07-23-2010, 03:13 PM
h & r springs, eibach camber kit, tokico blue shox. holla!

Jiggaboojeff
07-23-2010, 03:23 PM
get HFP's.

you may spend a little more than $220 now, but you won't have to go back and replace your struts if you just did springs (because your stock ones can't last at a lower height). and you won't need a camber kit.

By estimating how much do you think the whole HFP suspension will cost? I was thinking about that in the back of my mind. Thanks!

Hasbro
07-23-2010, 04:01 PM
They are no longer available new and they only drop about 3/4 ".
For $220 you'll have to (1) buy aftermarket springs and put them on your struts or, (2) find something used for that price or, (3) spend about $275 for some Raceland coilovers. These are not ideal methods but there you are. You will also need camber parts and an alignment.

socmex7
07-23-2010, 05:04 PM
people seem to like the racelands.. i might just get them as a cheap fix as well while funds grow..

PatrickJamesYu
07-23-2010, 07:53 PM
Yeah the Racelands are definitely the hottest budget coilover there is right now IMO
They're huge on the VW forums for sure.

And most of the ephatch users with these coilovers seem to love them.

I personally recommend the progressive springs by skunk2
good product
they're progressive like our stocks, and a bit stiffer
but not too stiff for daily driving
but they are labeled to drop 2.5"F and 2.25"R
Which might be a bit too aggressive of a drop.
You can pick them up locally for around $160 out the door new.

Looks like Raceland coilovers are now available in the US again.
You can order a set before they sell out again, if they do

but for $278
It's hard for me to trust it honestly.
BUT listen to many of the ephatch users
they love them
LOTS.

Tnhatch03
07-23-2010, 08:10 PM
you are in the right section. take some time and search the suspension section and you should be able to narrow your options down.

Jiggaboojeff
08-06-2010, 02:06 PM
Some guy is selling some Tein S.Tech that ran on his car for at least 3k and hes selling them for below retail price do you think its worth it? And if anyone out there knows a lot about tein springs would you tell me how much it will lower the car? Tein S.Tech. Thanks!

Zzyzx
08-06-2010, 03:27 PM
for general street use I'd be looking for 3 things.

1. good dampers, Koni, Bilstein,Tokico if necessary... just get off the oem dampers asap.
2. camber kit. front and rear. this isn't to get the car back to the oem settings, but rather to give you the ability to make the car actually handle well.
3. Lowering springs, preferably progressive rated ones. pick a set that lowers the car the approximate amount you are looking for.

Jiggaboojeff
08-10-2010, 10:00 PM
So I ended up buying some Tein S-Tech and it came with stock shocks it's missing the 2 front hats. Is it possible to slip those Tein springs into my stock suspension? My suspensions are stock.

kale's blue ep3
01-17-2011, 12:34 PM
h & r springs, eibach camber kit, tokico blue shocks? hows that setup?

R34L-St4tus
01-18-2011, 06:34 AM
So I ended up buying some Tein S-Tech and it came with stock shocks it's missing the 2 front hats. Is it possible to slip those Tein springs into my stock suspension? My suspensions are stock.

yes, you can just make sure you have a spring compressor or those stock springs are gonna shoot you in the face.

Drew1d
01-18-2011, 08:34 AM
Hi I bought a 03 ep like a few weeks ago, and I'm just wondering what kind of springs, coil overs, or suspensions I should put on since I know my car has the double wish bone suspension should I just get some springs? I'm just asking for ideas and opinions. THANKS!!!
Good struts. springwise, don't stray too much from stock rates and drop.

blue2turbo
01-18-2011, 09:33 AM
people seem to like the racelands.. i might just get them as a cheap fix as well while funds grow..

This is the route I took. Bought some racelands to replace my blown OEM suspension. Have them set to high since it's my DD. going to ride on these while I save up to do a full overhaul of everything underneath and switch to aspec suspension or HFP if I can find it.

MBaG
01-18-2011, 11:12 AM
yes, you can just make sure you have a spring compressor or those stock springs are gonna shoot you in the face.

5 months late, but our stock springs won't fly off. I took mine apart without a spring compressor and it just popped off.

R34L-St4tus
01-19-2011, 04:26 AM
5 months late, but our stock springs won't fly off. I took mine apart without a spring compressor and it just popped off.

whatever you say, but its recommanded too. you can ask any real tech at a local shop, they all got spring compressor mounted to a wall or something. BETTER SAFE, THEN SORRY.

iDom
01-19-2011, 06:49 AM
I bounced around on what to do with mine for about a year and a half and finally settled on the A-Spec, anything you want to know is in the thread below.

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?59257-DIY-A-Spec-Suspension-on-ep3

MBaG
01-19-2011, 12:49 PM
whatever you say, but its recommanded too. you can ask any real tech at a local shop, they all got spring compressor mounted to a wall or something. BETTER SAFE, THEN SORRY.

oh no, i wasn't putting your statement down in any way. i was just saying our suspension isn't under as much pressure as older civics. i simply used an allen wrench + wrench to take it apart.