PDA

View Full Version : Spark plugs replacement

neoamd
07-22-2010, 04:41 PM
What's the part numbers for the copper ngk plugs? I have a jrsc with a 3.8 pulley. i'm running the iridium plugs now but want to swap over to copper. I'd search but I'm stuck using my phone for the Internet for now.

also should I run 7 or 8 for how cold the plugs are? Thanks!

Mighty_Mouse_Ep
07-22-2010, 11:27 PM
Why would you switch to copper. Why not run a colder version of the irdum's like desno ik22's or ik24's stock ep's use ik20's

neoamd
07-28-2010, 04:53 PM
Explain the point in running the iridiums over copper?

I went with NGK BKR7Es I believe gapped @ .035

Car is much happier and I'm getting an extra 30-40 miles per tank around town.

Lucid Moments
07-28-2010, 05:00 PM
I also am running the BKR7Es on my s/c K24 frank pushing 300whp (296.4 actually). I track my car on a regular basis and switched to copper plugs for the lower cost. From what I understand the main advantage to Iridium plugs is their long life, but since I change my plugs before every single track day (4 or 5 a year) I don't really see much benefit to that for me. My plugs probably get 400 or 500 miles on them on average.

neoamd
08-06-2010, 10:19 PM
I also am running the BKR7Es on my s/c K24 frank pushing 300whp (296.4 actually). I track my car on a regular basis and switched to copper plugs for the lower cost. From what I understand the main advantage to Iridium plugs is their long life, but since I change my plugs before every single track day (4 or 5 a year) I don't really see much benefit to that for me. My plugs probably get 400 or 500 miles on them on average.

What gap are you running on the plugs?

BlownSi05
08-07-2010, 06:25 AM
Explain the point in running the iridiums over copper?

I went with NGK BKR7Es I believe gapped @ .035

Car is much happier and I'm getting an extra 30-40 miles per tank around town.

This is exactly what I ran for probably the first few years with the JRSC-R, gapped the same as you. I switched to the NGK IFR7G-11KS over the last year and a half or so. Really the main difference is the time between your change intervals. Lucid is on point for the fact he is always on the track and has to change his so often anyway, it makes sense to use the BKR7E to save the money. In my opinion the iridiums are better for a daily driven car, but this is just my two cents =) Both work great so it boils down to how often you want to change your plugs.

talonXracer
08-07-2010, 06:56 AM
Use the Iridium's for DD and swap in copper plugs for the track. If you were to run coppers instead of Iridiums in a DD config, the cost will end up being substantially greater, not too mention the hassles of changing out the ate up, blown copper plugs every 1-2K miles. On my AWD Talon, I would eat up a set of copper plugs every week with just the commute and a set on the weekends, installed a set of Iridiums and they lasted several months. the initial cost of Iridium's seems high, but they are superior. The drop off in power on a Kseries with copper plugs occurs quickly, the ECU is constantly advancing the ignition till detonation occurs and backing off, this action eats copper plugs like no ones business, except with Kpro as this function is deleted and the ignition is fixed to the calibration.

Not all Iridium plugs are constructed the same, again with plugs like most anything else, quality usually is proportional to cost.

Lucid Moments
08-07-2010, 04:51 PM
what gap are you running on the plugs?

.035 iirc

neoamd
08-12-2010, 02:37 PM
Use the Iridium's for DD and swap in copper plugs for the track. If you were to run coppers instead of Iridiums in a DD config, the cost will end up being substantially greater, not too mention the hassles of changing out the ate up, blown copper plugs every 1-2K miles. On my AWD Talon, I would eat up a set of copper plugs every week with just the commute and a set on the weekends, installed a set of Iridiums and they lasted several months. the initial cost of Iridium's seems high, but they are superior. The drop off in power on a Kseries with copper plugs occurs quickly, the ECU is constantly advancing the ignition till detonation occurs and backing off, this action eats copper plugs like no ones business, except with Kpro as this function is deleted and the ignition is fixed to the calibration.

Not all Iridium plugs are constructed the same, again with plugs like most anything else, quality usually is proportional to cost.

I wont argue with you. I picked up some NGK Iridum 7s and 8s. Going to see how each works. My copper are still holding up fine after 1k miles so far. Though they wont make it to 1500 since I'll swap the plugs first.

ep-unit
08-27-2010, 12:09 AM
what spark plugs will i need on a stock frank setup?

Onasty
08-27-2010, 06:28 AM
should spark plugs b replaced after every track day...

Lucid Moments
08-27-2010, 08:52 PM
should spark plugs b replaced after every track day...

It really kind of depends. Partly on how you define a track day. If you are going to go to a drag strip and do a few runs then no. I do road course stuff in my car where I'll have 160 minutes a weekend on track. Even with that it is strictly speaking not necessary, I'm probably a little paranoid, but its really cheap insurance so.....