PDA

View Full Version : K20a swap.

NolanEp3
07-23-2010, 07:58 AM
Hi everyone I'm new here and would like to ask a question. Right now my Ep3 has a k20a3, but I'm about to buy a full k20a swap out of a Type R DC5 or Ep3-R. Will the motor fit right in since it's a full swap? Or will I have to buy some parts to accomodate for it?

johnkimble
07-23-2010, 09:00 AM
first of all -- welcome to the site.

second, you really need to search man. how do you think it looks when your 1 post is the same month as your join date and it's asking a question that's pretty much been beaten to death.

the k20a will drop in pretty much the same as a k20a2 -- direct fit. you will need to swap misc things like the power steering pump from the k20a3 if the k20a is from a DC5R, like the serp belt from the a3 (good time to get a new one). you may also need to modify your shifter to reach reverse. you can re-use your ep3 axles.

NolanEp3
07-23-2010, 09:51 AM
Ah thankyou, As for the searching sorry I didn't search thoroughly enough to uncover some information. Forgive my stupidity.

johnkimble
07-23-2010, 11:28 AM
no worries, again welcome to the site. hope you hang around and post up!

talonXracer
07-23-2010, 01:00 PM
I would not waste all that extra cash for a typeR engine, just get either a K20A2/Z3, (or better yet a K24A2).

You will need to come up with something for engine management with a typeR engine.

NolanEp3
07-23-2010, 03:49 PM
Well say I have the money for the k20a and K-pro. Would you still suggest the k24a2, I've putten some though into swapping a k24a2.

johnkimble
07-23-2010, 04:14 PM
With the prices of k24a2's, I'd go with it in a second if I didn't have to deal with bs California smog laws. Equivalent HP with more torque for less money? :fish:

CDM 98 ITR
07-28-2010, 08:12 AM
I would not waste all that extra cash for a typeR engine, just get either a K20A2/Z3, (or better yet a K24A2).

You will need to come up with something for engine management with a typeR engine.

The transmission on the K20A alone is worth the cost of admission. Gear ratios, final drive, and the LSD are major selling features.

You can use the JDM K20A computer for the swap (if you do a complete swap). No engine management necessary. Will run like it did from the factory. 02-04 models did not come with an immobilizer, while the facelift DC5-R ECU's did. If you got a K20A from a facelift model, you'll need to go to Honda and them match your keys and the new computer so the immobilizer works, and the car starts. There are ways around that, but that is the safest bet.

The power steering section of the K20A is not used, as we have electric assist. You'll need to use a dummy belt on the engine for the power steering, but it's not utilized.

The header is a bit of an issue to fit the front stabilizer bar, but it does fit (barely). You could replace the front bar with that of an EM2 coupe if you need more room ... they come in both 15mm, and 25.4mm sizes. Your choice all depending on how you want the car to handle.

The K20A cat converter will also now have a different flange than the EP3, so keep that in mind when thinking of an exhaust. The K20A cat converter is also a metal core, and not a ceramic, so that is another cool point about that motor. Much more efficient, and better flowing.

The shifter does not need to be modified in order to use the 6-speed. You will need to add a wire to the harness for reverse lockout.

Also, the K20A throttle body is the exact same size as the K20A3. Use the K20A3 throttle body, as you get to keep cruise control. The DC5-R did not come with it.

That's about it. If you can afford it, go for it.

talonXracer
07-28-2010, 09:15 AM
Not only is the TB's the same size but they are the same exact casting

And indeed some EP3 shifters will need modification to get into reverse gear with a 6speed trans

No need at all for the reverse lockout, if you hit reverse on a LHD EP3, just throw the keys away and give a .44 magnum head as you pull the trigger. LOL

NO PRC ecu has an immobilizer, that is for the NA Market only.

Absolutely no need for a "dummy belt", install the EP3's idler pulley and add 3 standard washers between the alternator and block on the 3 mounting bolts for the alt. Then you use the stock EP3's serp belt. Been running this set-up for years now, but I recently created and installed custom fabb'd aluminum spacers instead of washers.

No typeR ECU will pass a emissions test in the USA, so if they hook up to the car's ECU for your emissions/safety testing, it will fail.

The typeR ECU will require modification of the chassis harness for the fuel system.

The typeR ECU will not operate properly with the stock EP3's o2 sensors.

EDM typeR's use a K20A2 engine.

With comparable bolt-on's the K20Z3 will pull a K20A every time.

CDM 98 ITR
07-28-2010, 09:37 AM
No need at all for the reverse lockout, if you hit reverse on a LHD EP3, just throw the keys away and give a .44 magnum head as you pull the trigger. LOL

I agree, but while you're in there, might as well add the extra security!

NO PRC ecu has an immobilizer, that is for the NA Market only.

No Immobilizer:
PRC-013
PRC-023

Immobilizer:
PRC-J13

J13 = Face-lift (05-06) DC5 Type R. I have this ECU in my car and it does indeed have an immobilizer. Trust me, I was stumped at first too.

Read:
http://www.integratyper.org/specs/facelift.htm

Absolutely no need for a "dummy belt", install the EP3's idler pulley and add 3 standard washers between the alternator and block on the 3 mounting bolts for the alt. Then you use the stock EP3's serp belt. Been running this set-up for years now, but I recently created and installed custom fabb'd aluminum spacers instead of washers.

This will teach me to be descriptive ... that's what I meant. Our EA steering is still fully functional.

No typeR ECU will pass a emissions test in the USA, so if they hook up to the car's ECU for your emissions/safety testing, it will fail.

I guess it depends where you are. Up here, it will pass no problem.

The typeR ECU will not operate properly with the stock EP3's o2 sensors.

Use the o2 sensors that should be included with your swap. With the Type R ECU, everything works as it should.

With comparable bolt-on's the K20Z3 will pull a K20A every time.

Why do you say that? Very similar gearing, both have LSD, and the K20A has 15-20HP, 13ft/lbs, and higher compression than the Z3 ... yet the power is in the same place. You think it'd be the opposite.