PDA

View Full Version : Re: JRSC on z3 swapped ep3???

cloumep3
07-24-2010, 01:33 PM
I'm planning on JRSC on my z3 swapped EP soon. My question for you SC gurus are:

1. Are there anyone with JRSC on z3 motor here? If so, any dyno #'s?

2. Was SC for z3 motor specific or A3 modified to fit on z3(if installed on z3 swapped ep3)?

My EP is a DD and have z3(6sp w/LSD)/kpro/kidracing krusher RH/WS2 catback/SRI/Innovative MM/stage2 exedy clutch/ACT light FW. Anything above 250whp would be great, but from what I've read upon here and there, 270whp is reasonable with JRSC for z3(FD2/FD5).

Million thanks in advance!

dkid15
07-24-2010, 03:31 PM
Youd probably be getting close to 300 whp on 9psi depending on what dyno you are on. That clutch might burn out sooner than youd like too.

ep3jd
07-24-2010, 03:46 PM
yeah 300 sounds about right, my buddy has a new si, z3, and he made something around there, i think alittle higher i don't remember this was like 3 years ago

cloumep3
07-24-2010, 03:58 PM
actually, that's what I've seen with z3 kit, but I was even considering a3 street kit with around 6 lb. ish..., idk...
as for clutch, I'm def. upgrading once this one wears out, needed some time getting used to when it was installed, but now I don't notice the difference and wish I went with stage 3, knowing I'll be going FI soon.

sleepy ep3
07-24-2010, 08:20 PM
What did u have to change to get that z3 trans to work? I heard you have to swap out quite a bit of stuff

cloumep3
07-24-2010, 09:03 PM
What did u have to change to get that z3 trans to work? I heard you have to swap out quite a bit of stuff

It needed type-s shifting mechanism, unless your ep3 shifter is precut for the 6th gear slot (some of them do). Installed reverse lockout switch since ep tranny does not have it and I used my ECU (if you have type-s ECU from k20a2, you're good). Also, got a hybrid racing speed converter, which came with the swap). Keep in mind, the z3 shifting is 180 degree reverse from that of ep3's or A2's, but not sure what my mech. did for correcting that issue..., the motor rocks and the LSD also!!!

BTW, I'm prolly gonna end up purchasing MercRacing's aftercooler as well. Just trying to figure out if I need to go with z3 specific kit or just buy a3 street kit with a few other upgrades for preventative measure such as auto tensioner bracket and etc.

04EP3Hatch
07-25-2010, 12:01 AM
I'm planning on JRSC on my z3 swapped EP soon. My question for you SC gurus are:

2. Was SC for z3 motor specific or A3 modified to fit on z3(if installed on z3 swapped ep3)?

My EP is a DD and have z3(6sp w/LSD)/kpro/kidracing krusher RH/WS2 catback/SRI/Innovative MM/stage2 exedy clutch/ACT light FW. Anything above 250whp would be great, but from what I've read upon here and there, 270whp is reasonable with JRSC for z3(FD2/FD5).

I would personally run the K20A3 crank pulley with the 4.0" pulley, with that header you have at 8500rpm youll prolly see 8psi or so, i have the same header and at 7700 i was seeing 6.0psi ( just for comparison sakes, not saying it will be exactly that ), that header is very high flowing so the boost will be lower, but the #'s will be higher. that and with the A3 crank pulley and the 4.0 the chance if having belt slippage is lessened dramatically. Ditch the SRI and get a CAI please, your performance will love you. The blower for the Z3, wether it be the CTe or JRSC, you will need to modify the rad support, just get an EP3 specific blower and have it match ported. no cutting required lol that would be my plan!

vbpracer
07-25-2010, 12:39 AM

I dont think you will be making 300 whp, even on a high reading dyno, that assuming you are going to run about 7-8 psi. 270 Sounds about right.

cloumep3
07-25-2010, 07:04 AM
I would personally run the K20A3 crank pulley with the 4.0" pulley, with that header you have at 8500rpm youll prolly see 8psi or so, i have the same header and at 7700 i was seeing 6.0psi ( just for comparison sakes, not saying it will be exactly that ), that header is very high flowing so the boost will be lower, but the #'s will be higher. that and with the A3 crank pulley and the 4.0 the chance if having belt slippage is lessened dramatically. Ditch the SRI and get a CAI please, your performance will love you. The blower for the Z3, wether it be the CTe or JRSC, you will need to modify the rad support, just get an EP3 specific blower and have it match ported. no cutting required lol that would be my plan!

Thanks for your insightful input! I've contacted mossperformance for price quote and parts recommendation since I already have kpro, because I am mostly worried about clearance/room issue(some cut/shavings were neede to make room for z3 IM). As for CAI vs. SRI, I'm just little too paranoid about hyperlocking, so little hp loss is not my concern.

HatchI dont think you will be making 300 whp, even on a high reading dyno, that assuming you are going to run about 7-8 psi. 270 Sounds about right.

Yes, that's what I'm expecting and will most def. be satisfied for my DD. But, with for those with z3 kit pushing 10.5 lbs, along with a few other mods, 300whp seems to be reachable. Once again, for more reliable DD with less hassle of constantly having the car in shop, I really don't mind 270 ish whp. And of course, I won't be putting my ep on constant heavy load.

I'll have better idea of how my set up will be laid out once I hear back from Moss & Merc.

04EP3Hatch
07-25-2010, 09:07 AM
Thanks for your insightful input! I've contacted mossperformance for price quote and parts recommendation since I already have kpro, because I am mostly worried about clearance/room issue(some cut/shavings were neede to make room for z3 IM). As for CAI vs. SRI, I'm just little too paranoid about hyperlocking, so little hp loss is not my concern.

Yes, that's what I'm expecting and will most def. be satisfied for my DD. But, with for those with z3 kit pushing 10.5 lbs, along with a few other mods, 300whp seems to be reachable. Once again, for more reliable DD with less hassle of constantly having the car in shop, I really don't mind 270 ish whp. And of course, I won't be putting my ep on constant heavy load.

I'll have better idea of how my set up will be laid out once I hear back from Moss & Merc.

good luck man! let me know if you need the 4.0" pulley i have one and a brand new 62.2" gates belt, perfect combo!

vbpracer
07-25-2010, 10:00 AM
I think he will have to run a 3.2" pulley on the jrsc, for 8psi.

04EP3Hatch
07-25-2010, 01:01 PM
I think he will have to run a 3.2" pulley on the jrsc, for 8psi.

not with the A3 crank pulley, he will have the right blower drive speed. Same as the A3, bigger blower pulley means less slippage, and a lot less tension required so it's less stress on the blower snout, which is always better

vbpracer
07-25-2010, 01:49 PM
The z3 c/p is smaller than k20a3, k24 c/p's. Didnt read that he was swapping over the a3 c/p? Having a smaller c/p means less boost.

04EP3Hatch
07-25-2010, 02:56 PM
The z3 c/p is smaller than k20a3, k24 c/p's. Didnt read that he was swapping over the a3 c/p? Having a smaller c/p means less boost.

i know, im saying swap up to the A3 crank pulley for more belt coverage, more belt coverage means less slippage with less tension. If he uses the A3 CP and a 4.0" pulley he could easily hit 8.0 8.5psi.

cloumep3
07-25-2010, 09:01 PM
good luck man! let me know if you need the 4.0" pulley i have one and a brand new 62.2" gates belt, perfect combo!

sounds good! I'll be sure to let you know once I make a decision on which kit to buy, may it be z3 or a3...

speedking604
07-26-2010, 04:11 AM
i know, im saying swap up to the A3 crank pulley for more belt coverage, more belt coverage means less slippage with less tension. If he uses the A3 CP and a 4.0" pulley he could easily hit 8.0 8.5psi.

you need a3 crank pulley and 3.8" pulley to run 8 psi!

cloumep3
07-28-2010, 07:19 AM
got a email back from Moss and was told that they don't have a kit for my swapped motor..., huh??? called around and found out that A3 specific kit should fit with minor modifications... Just wanted to verify with some of you guys with experience in this matter. I think the kit for z3 motor is somewhat larger than that of A3 specific kit? Is it that much bigger than the kit for A3? idk... at any rate, looks like I need to go with A3 specific race kit, but it has 4.0 pulley and they claim that it'd produce 8psi, is it not true?

speedking604
07-28-2010, 03:00 PM
got a email back from Moss and was told that they don't have a kit for my swapped motor..., huh??? called around and found out that A3 specific kit should fit with minor modifications... Just wanted to verify with some of you guys with experience in this matter. I think the kit for z3 motor is somewhat larger than that of A3 specific kit? Is it that much bigger than the kit for A3? idk... at any rate, looks like I need to go with A3 specific race kit, but it has 4.0 pulley and they claim that it'd produce 8psi, is it not true?

you need 3.8 in-order to run 8psi.

cloumep3
07-28-2010, 04:50 PM
you need 3.8 in-order to run 8psi.

Thank you for clarification!!!

cloumep3
08-17-2010, 07:03 AM
looks like I'm gonna be going the NA route, since I'm not mechanically savvy and it's my DD, possibility of belt slipping and such is became sort of detering factor... Still not 100% though, just looking around for some cams upgrade options. Thanks for all the inputs!!!