PDA

View Full Version : Spark plug popped out!

amnbassist
07-26-2010, 02:11 PM
So i was driving home from work the other day, and i was in 3rd doing 40mph, and it a loud pop and the engine started to rumble, i pull over and i saw there was oil all over the bay and a sparkplug coil assembly just laying on top of the motor. Is this extremely bad, or is it a repairable bad?

27rocks
07-26-2010, 02:47 PM
If oil is everywhere then yes it is bad. You need to look under the hood with more detail and see if you can spot something. It's hard to say what caused the coil to pop up since they are bolted down. Are you sure it wasn't the oil cap that came off?

Passenger
07-26-2010, 03:29 PM
So i was driving home from work the other day, and i was in 3rd doing 40mph, and it a loud pop and the engine started to rumble, i pull over and i saw there was oil all over the bay and a sparkplug coil assembly just laying on top of the motor. Is this extremely bad, or is it a repairable bad?

I was (from my knowledge) the first to experience this. At the time I worked at a chevy warehouse for the dealership and all the mechanics wouldn't even touch it. I have absolutely no idea what caused it, possibly from a bad job on a recent tune up.
Oil shouldn't be everywhere, Rob, I didn't experience that, just a sparkplug blown out of the spark plug cover with a broken coil.
That was about 20K miles ago. I got my mechanic (who over charged me btw) to use a "helicoil" and it basically re-threads where the spark plug screws into and had to buy a new coil pack and spark plug. All together about $200 I think.
With the helicoil I haven't experienced any hp loss that I can tell. You didn't do anything wrong, I don't believe. Although, like I said, I still have no idea what causes this. At the time my mods were just CAI with a cat back and same thing as you.. just driving home at a normal speed and rpm and out of no where BOOM! Don't sweat it man, it's some what of an easy fix.

27rocks
07-26-2010, 03:37 PM
I see... maybe the threads were just to weak and the force of the combustion popped it out, but that still doesn't explain why there is oil everywhere.

talonXracer
07-26-2010, 05:18 PM
The oil being all over, leads me to believe it isnt just the typical blown out plug issue, possibly also a split in the steel sparkplug tube in the valve cover allowing oil to exit.

There is a reason why they make torque wrench's and specify a torque for the sparkplug's in the Helm's manual. I have seen people overtighten the plugs enough to not fully strip, but overtighten enough to start the shearing action of the threads, then it is only a matter of time and the plug is spit out. A heli-coil'd plug hole is fine, but does require the compression chamber end of it to be dressed to eliminate any chance of a hot spot causing pre-ignition. Also that plug will run slightly hotter.

Passenger
07-26-2010, 05:57 PM
I see... maybe the threads were just to weak and the force of the combustion popped it out, but that still doesn't explain why there is oil everywhere.

Ohhh I missed where he said there was oil, thats why I was like :shrug:
On that part, talon can chime in cause I haven't dealt with that. Sounds like it might be slightly more serious than what I experienced.

Passenger
07-26-2010, 06:01 PM
Is your EP3 a 2002?

Passenger
07-29-2010, 05:30 PM
Anything come of this?