PDA

View Full Version : Keep 2006 Mazda3 hatch or get Ep3?

anothersomeone
07-27-2010, 04:58 AM
Even before I got the mazda 3 hatch, I had wanted the ep3. The reason I went with the mazda3 back then was cuz I got a really, really good price on it. At exactly $13,999 it was a steal. So, it was either $13999 for a brand new 2006 car, or $15000 and up for used Ep3. Well my mazda3 is gonna be paid off in a year or so and I could probably get a used Ep3 for a good price. The practical side of me says keep the mazda3 since it's a 4door hatch, but the other side of me says get the ep3. So should I keep my mazda3 hatch or trade it in for an ep3? What would you guys do?

RoyVegasPinoy
07-27-2010, 05:15 AM
Seems like you've always had the love for an EP3. It all depends on what you want out of your car. If you're going to mod the crap out of an EP3 and make it your own, get one and fulfill your dream. Be ready to spend a whole lot of money, time, blood, sweat, and tears. You should be really motivated. Otherwise, might as well keep the mazda and save some money for an upgrade later on.

DRP967
07-27-2010, 07:01 AM
Seems like you've always had the love for an EP3. It all depends on what you want out of your car. If you're going to mod the crap out of an EP3 and make it your own, get one and fulfill your dream. Be ready to spend a whole lot of money, time, blood, sweat, and tears. You should be really motivated. Otherwise, might as well keep the mazda and save some money for an upgrade later on.

^ I agree 100%.
Good luck with your decision OP.

*Personally id pick the EP3 over the Mazda 3....although the MS3s are nice cars no doubt id rather have an EP.

Onasty
07-27-2010, 07:03 AM
If its not the mazdaspeed 3 trade it IMO

superd16girl
07-27-2010, 07:40 AM
I am not a big fan of mazdas.... Get an ep3.

hondaguy92129
07-27-2010, 10:34 AM
Honda ftw ;)

Of course thats assuming you can get a good price for your mazda. No sense in you taking all these years to pay it off and then losing a bunch of money in the sale.

Project Yellow
07-27-2010, 10:41 AM
Of course, you are on a Honda enthusiast's forum...lol. But the Mazda3 is a nice vehicle, the Mazdaspeed at least. I haven't driven a regular one. And the glovebox can fit a small child inside. I would choose my EP over the mazda though, just my opinion.

Where the heck are you looking at EPs for $15+? I'll give you a deal you can't refuse and sell you mine for a steal at $14,999!
bahahah.

POOPTOOTH
07-27-2010, 10:42 AM
+1 for no car payment.

MBaG
07-27-2010, 02:13 PM
forget them both, if you really want to upgrade, upgrade to an evo or sti! ;]

Hasbro
07-27-2010, 03:23 PM
The Mazda is paid for and has a great chassis, can be made to handle very well. I drove an 06 pretty hard and really liked it. Lots of room like the EP. Great aftermarket support.

njpnoy05
07-27-2010, 03:44 PM
i would keep the mazda3. subtle mods. keep it as a chill daily; i've been wanting a 4 door. let's trade lol

siege911
07-27-2010, 06:57 PM
If it helps your decision at all, I bought my '05 EP3 used at a Mazda dealer 3 hours away from my house! I walked in, drove it, was sitting down signing the papers when another guy came in and asked for the keys to test drive the car. The salesman looked at me, I simply said "Hah, let him drive it, I still get to buy it when he gets back!".

We were looking at the Mazda3 4 door wagon/hatchback thing when we bought my girlfriend's '09 fit, but it just was too big of a car for her, and it sat kind of low. I loved it, but compared to the EP3, combined with how few EP3's I see on the road everyday (and how many Mazda3's...), I would do EP3 over Mazda3 any day.

EPSpeedKing
07-27-2010, 07:01 PM
I'm biased so I'm going to say get a ep. Never was a fan of the mazda 3.

sleepy ep3
07-27-2010, 08:18 PM
Drive both back to back and get the one u like the most. Honda lines are waaaayyy cleaner than the Mazda tho. Looks better modded too. If ur Mazda appeals to you more, keep it, but once you get bit by the Honda bug, it's game over. Ask all the repeat Honda owners. I have had 3 so far and would buy another in a second

Onasty
07-27-2010, 08:38 PM
Ill selll him my ep for 12k neday im looking to downgrade for a year or two

How many miles on your Mazda 3?

What's the condition of the car? Any issues?

Is money an issue at all?

If you are doing well with your Mazda, I would not trade for an EP. Your Mazda is a 2006. The last year of the EP is 2005. You bought your Mazda new. Even if you found a USED EP in excellent condition, you'd be downgrading (car size, condition, value).

My input is to be rational and not follow lust. The EP is a good car, but there are so many other cars that are a much better value than an EP.

If you did NOT currently have a car, then maybe I'd recommend the EP as a last choice.

No, I don't hate the EP. I just don't think it's worth coming into if you already have a good running car.

Ask yourself, what do you have to gain by parting with the Mazda to get the Honda, and at what cost?

**I am making the assumption that your Mazda is in good running condition.

jgn6848
07-28-2010, 10:20 AM
Drive both back to back and get the one u like the most. Honda lines are waaaayyy cleaner than the Mazda tho. Looks better modded too. If ur Mazda appeals to you more, keep it, but once you get bit by the Honda bug, it's game over. Ask all the repeat Honda owners. I have had 3 so far and would buy another in a second

Agree.... ive owned 2 honda's b4 then bought a 180 hp celica gts. Lets just say the vtec bug kicked in and I got the ep then swapped a real k20 in it...... from then on i've never looked back!

ttttrigg3r
07-28-2010, 10:43 AM
do it and join the forum! if the mazda is not a speed then trade it in.

emsep
07-28-2010, 11:58 AM
just keep the mazda, its already paid off.

T_Virus
07-28-2010, 12:31 PM
If its not the mazdaspeed 3 trade it IMO

do it and join the forum! if the mazda is not a speed then trade it in.

x3...

Paul 631
07-28-2010, 04:19 PM
Absolutely keep the 3... mod for mod a better handling car, just as quick, no car payment, etc.

Dbl-Htch
07-29-2010, 09:40 AM
...well, having owned a Mazda3(05 hatch) and my EP simultaneously for a while, I have to agree that stock vs stock the Mazda handles better, with much better steering feel, and better brakes also. I think the 2 cars are similar enough in general (size, power, economy, etc) that it would pretty much be a lateral move. Of course with a little aftermarket help the EP can be improved dramatically, and don't count out the exclusivity factor, like others have said, you see Mazda3's all day long, usually middle-aged women or "average Joes" driving them. :mbiggrin: lol

Payback424
07-29-2010, 10:23 AM
totally agree..... hey off the subject one sec... i ordered a sticker for my EP... how long does it normally take to arrive??

el_puncho
08-24-2010, 09:38 PM
Even before I got the mazda 3 hatch, I had wanted the ep3. The reason I went with the mazda3 back then was cuz I got a really, really good price on it. At exactly $13,999 it was a steal. So, it was either $13999 for a brand new 2006 car, or $15000 and up for used Ep3. Well my mazda3 is gonna be paid off in a year or so and I could probably get a used Ep3 for a good price. The practical side of me says keep the mazda3 since it's a 4door hatch, but the other side of me says get the ep3. So should I keep my mazda3 hatch or trade it in for an ep3? What would you guys do?

Whats the value on the mazda3? If theres a possibility you can sell it for more than a used EP, then why not? Youre lookin at same HP regardless no? Look at the financials of it all. If you end up losing money then think it hard, but if theres a way you can win some money back then id deem it a win-win situation. I agree with the people here that post if its not a SPEED then why not?