PDA

View Full Version : Question for those with 18 inch rims

ballsdeep
12-09-2002, 01:06 PM
How is the ride, is it really rough. Would you buy them again or would you go with a smaller size. I ask because I've been waiting for a certain wheel because there out of the 17 inch. Now there trying to talk me into the 18 inch which will look good but I;m afraid it will ride rough.

esmith13
12-09-2002, 03:10 PM
Don't know if this will help you or not, but my friend has a Civic EX Sedan (2000) that had 15" wheels and he got 18" chrome one for it. The ride is VERY harsh when the asphalt is cracked up and he dodges pot holes like a champ. He hit one pot hole once and dented the shit out of one of his rims. Pot hole was fairly small and he was doin' about 40 Mph when he did it. Dent was so bad it broke the seal on the tire and went flat immediately.

Unless the roads are pristine in your area I would say stay 17" or less -- especially if you drive agressive like most Si drivers do ! ;)

Whooopasss
12-09-2002, 08:25 PM
I have 18's with 215 35 18 and race spring (2.5 inch drop) and yes it is rough but not rough undrivable. It handles very well on good (not even smooth) pavement, great steering response and corners like on rails. But I had 2 rims with me, I had rota circuit6 16 and the 18 (5 zigen GT8) and I tried both on, I just didt like to look of small rims on my car. But 17 would be ideal.. (CTR has 17's)

Silvershadow
12-10-2002, 03:52 AM
18's weight more,cost more& will slow your car down.Maybe they''ll talk you into 20's & we be l@@kin 4 u in DUB magazine.=D
---Silvershadow---

SouthHonda
12-13-2002, 09:02 PM
18 inch wheels may be bigger but not necessarily heavier. I am awaiting my 18 centerline forged rpms right now. they way approx 14.5 lbs each. That is a lot lighter than a most 17s on the market now.

Silvershadow
12-14-2002, 09:49 AM
Wouldn't Centerline RPM 17's b lighter?Oh I forgot about d S I X (666) POUNDS of additional tire weight.Watch your E.T.'s drop:(
---Silvershadow---

Jdmk20
12-15-2002, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by ballsdeep
How is the ride, is it really rough. Would you buy them again or would you go with a smaller size. I ask because I've been waiting for a certain wheel because there out of the 17 inch. Now there trying to talk me into the 18 inch which will look good but I;m afraid it will ride rough.

I have 18" volks on my car with tein suspension, and my ride is great. I have no problems with the way my car rides. The only place where it would ride bad is if there are potholes on the road.:D

yomamaInMySi
12-16-2002, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by Silvershadow
18's weight more,cost more& will slow your car down.Maybe they''ll talk you into 20's & we be l@@kin 4 u in DUB magazine.=D
---Silvershadow---

I like this one, it will make your car slower, and they weight more. Can you educate me as to how is it that 18" wheels make the car slower?:rolleyes:

Silvershadow
12-16-2002, 02:42 PM
5 slow reasons:
1)Drag from a wider tire.You'll feel d sluggishness in acceleration.
2)Larger dia. tire is like putting in a taller rear end(e.g. 4.11 gears to 3.08 gears).Again slower accel.
3)weight.U no this 1 HEAVIER cars go slower.
4)The extra weight is further out on the wheel(e.g. remember Tara Lipinski(misspelled?) as she brings her hands in while spinning on d ice. She spins faster.Hands(weight) out=SLOWER.
5)Less side wall.Less give=less compliances=less grip(ever c how soft side walls are on a dragster.
6)Since I'm feeling generous.With d $$$$$$$$200-$$$$$300 saved @ each tire change I'll buy a CAI a few MORE HP.
---Silversahdow---

yomamaInMySi
12-16-2002, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Silvershadow
5 slow reasons:
1)Drag from a wider tire.You'll feel d sluggishness in acceleration.
2)Larger dia. tire is like putting in a taller rear end(e.g. 4.11 gears to 3.08 gears).Again slower accel.
3)weight.U no this 1 HEAVIER cars go slower.
4)The extra weight is further out on the wheel(e.g. remember Tara Lipinski(misspelled?) as she brings her hands in while spinning on d ice. She spins faster.Hands(weight) out=SLOWER.
5)Less side wall.Less give=less compliances=less grip(ever c how soft side walls are on a dragster.
6)Since I'm feeling generous.With d $$$$$$$$200-$$$$$300 saved @ each tire change I'll buy a CAI a few MORE HP.
---Silversahdow---

Oh I see, so you're looking at it from a dragster persfective. It figures, first of all the diameter is increased by .6" overall, from the stock wheel and tire 195-60-14 at 24.2" in diameter to a 18 inch wheel and tire 215-40-18 at 24.8" diameter. So that said I doubt this will make the car slower or affect the speed if any. As far as the weight, well unless you're buying cast iron wheel (which I don't think they make on 18", but I might be wrong), then weight wouldn't be an issue, the weight difference between a cast alu stock wheel and an aftermarket one is no that different. And if you go with a forged 18" wheel is even lighter than stock. On the side wall issue, well I think that you are looking from a perspective on the drag racing, but I don't know much about drag racing, because I think is boring.

So, that said to the fellow above me that wants to go with an 18' wheel, go for it if you want to do. It looks nice and it performs well.

One point silver has that is a good point is the fact that 18" tires are pricey. By the way silver I'm not flaming or giving you a cermon. Just a thought.

Silvershadow
12-16-2002, 09:41 PM
We're COOOL.If Ballsdeep gets a lite whl it should b a wash.Since d Si has more power he may or may not feel d roll resistance of d wider tires. I think he will.It'll probably show up in d form of lower MPG.My best guess is about 1-3 MPG loss.---Silvershadow---