PDA

View Full Version : Headliner color change

talonXracer
07-27-2010, 02:33 PM
Hey guys, is there any products to dye the fabric of the roof panel?

Over the years the roof panel fabric has been stained in a few spots and a bit of general dirtyness, LOL, so I figured it was time to change the color and hide the stains as well.

VIZHUNZ02SI
07-27-2010, 04:35 PM
im sure you can dye it but the roof liner is a very thin material. and if you dye, you'd want the best dye product out there to spray on.

02TWSI
07-27-2010, 04:44 PM
I believe someone had did this already, I forgot the username but he dyed the entire gray interior black.

ep3egg
07-27-2010, 05:00 PM
i see a headliner DIY in your future. :msmile:

ep3jd
07-27-2010, 07:27 PM
i've been looking for a good dye for it as i didn't want to risk drooping and wrinkles with wrapping it. i've done it before with my buddy on his sti and it was a huge PITA. keep us posted if you find a good dye

talonXracer
07-27-2010, 07:48 PM
Dupli-Color has a charcoal grey vinyl and fabric dye in a spray can, I might give that a try. I did discover that the light grey plastic trim was rather stained and dirty as well, they cleaned up perfectly with a little sand blasting and should allow the Dupli-Colors matching "plastic and trim" paint to really adhere well.

Heitzke
07-28-2010, 10:47 AM
Dupli-Color has a charcoal grey vinyl and fabric dye in a spray can, I might give that a try. I did discover that the light grey plastic trim was rather stained and dirty as well, they cleaned up perfectly with a little sand blasting and should allow the Dupli-Colors matching "plastic and trim" paint to really adhere well.

I should probably post some pics up, I sprayed my headliner with the same Duplic-color paints and it looks pretty decent. Doesn't seem to be the most durable solution, but it works pretty good.

ttttrigg3r
07-28-2010, 10:50 AM
the question I have is, How do you remove the headliner? I'd mod mine if I figure how to remove it.

Jukka
07-28-2010, 02:40 PM
yea your gonna have to remove the headliner, its not hard. As for the duplicolor stuff, I recomend agaisnt it. It looks good on carpets, seats, etc. but I tried it on my first headliner, i have a new one sitting in my garage right now. I'm gonna get mine re-upholstered probably next pay check. I found a place that will do it in faux-suede for like $150.

If you use the duplicolor stuff, if you can find a good way not to get the obvious spray lines, please share. $10 is alot better than $150 to get a black headliner.

EDIT:^^ to remove the headliner, take out all the things attached to said liner, if you can take out your b-pillars, c-pillars, and a-pillars, helps alot. once everything is removed, pull the front infront of the sunroof down, then pull the entire liner forwards to the front of the car, it will drop down, then take it out the drivers door.

Heitzke
07-29-2010, 09:38 AM
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e88/Heitzke/ephatch/IMAG0141.jpg
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e88/Heitzke/ephatch/IMAG0137.jpg

Couple quick pics

Jukka
07-29-2010, 10:21 AM
How did you get pictures of my interior??..lol. What did you use to make yours black? dye or upholstry?

Heitzke
07-29-2010, 10:25 AM
How did you get pictures of my interior??..lol. What did you use to make yours black? dye or upholstry?

I snuck all the way up to Canadia... I used the Dupli-color interior spray. I think I used 3 cans total, it turned out pretty decent.

02TWSI
07-29-2010, 06:10 PM
it looks amazing every time I see full black interior, but what do you do about the seatbelt things ?

Heitzke
07-29-2010, 09:09 PM
it looks amazing every time I see full black interior, but what do you do about the seatbelt things ?

You can pull those pieces off and paint them too, I just rushed mine to finish before IA. I'll go back through and paint them black as soon as I want to even touch the car again.

Passenger
07-29-2010, 09:31 PM
Ooo I want to do this soon. Im a little worried though, I've never pulled the headliner off. Im guessing the small headliner piece to the sunroof is easy to do too?

Onasty
07-29-2010, 10:40 PM
I'd do it if i could take off my headliner

talonXracer
07-30-2010, 05:14 AM
The headliner is a bitch to get out, especially if you have never removed it before.

Heitzke
07-30-2010, 06:30 AM
Im guessing the small headliner piece to the sunroof is easy to do too?

Eeeehhhhhhh, I ended up removing mine... forcefully. For some reason the whole thing was really loose and made tons of rattling and buzzing sounds in the car, so I tore it out.

Passenger
07-30-2010, 07:09 AM
The headliner is a bitch to get out, especially if you have never removed it before.
Coming from the guy who's tore down probably every single piece of an ep.. kinda scares me

Eeeehhhhhhh, I ended up removing mine... forcefully. For some reason the whole thing was really loose and made tons of rattling and buzzing sounds in the car, so I tore it out.
I just wouldn't want mis-matching roofing pieces. Kinda skeptical now. I wouldnt mind the a-b-c pillar vinyl pieces being black, Im not that particular on it.. but still. Maybe talon can toss up a DIY on this when he's doing it and be specific when he gets to this piece.

Jukka
07-30-2010, 08:04 AM
headliner is a breeze to take out if you know how to do it. My first time i struggeled with it for like an hour, second time i took one out i had it out in 5 min...mind you all the parts where already removed including the b-pillars (go scrap yard). I'm probably gonna write up a DIY when i go to install my headliner + the sunroof privacy cover. Now all i need is a day to rip some of my interior peices out.

talonXracer
08-03-2010, 01:32 PM
headliner is a breeze to take out if you know how to do it. My first time i struggeled with it for like an hour, second time i took one out i had it out in 5 min...mind you all the parts where already removed including the b-pillars (go scrap yard). I'm probably gonna write up a DIY when i go to install my headliner + the sunroof privacy cover. Now all i need is a day to rip some of my interior peices out.

Yup the first time is a bitch figuring out the procedure.

I looked into the cost of having the headliner reupholstered, oouuch! ! !

I could get the carbon cloth, epoxy and all consumables to vacuum bag a layer of Cf in place of the fabric for the same price, that would be cool, a carbon headliner!

Jukka
08-03-2010, 09:18 PM
yea, i was surprised at how much it would cost to reupholster it. cheapest i found was $175 for just the headliner, not including the privacy panel. CF headliner would be cool. Would probably crack/be a bitch to put back in though.

ttttrigg3r
08-03-2010, 10:33 PM
a diy headliner removal and install would be awesome!

talonXracer
08-04-2010, 07:54 AM
CF headliner would be cool. Would probably crack/be a bitch to put back in though.

I highly doubt it would crack or break, a properly selected and applied Cf/epoxy matrix will be flexible but springs back to the original shape, you could even cut thin strips of the matrix and tie them into a overhand knot without breaking. You will need to keep the ratio of epoxy to cloth(by weight) down rather low, this keeps the epoxy from becoing brittle. Epoxy is a plastic, so it can be mixed to produce the full range of hardness like any other plastic. The strength of the matrix should be derived mostly from the fibers not the plastic, the plastic merely retains the shape.

Onasty
08-04-2010, 07:37 PM
did it today looks soo good

talonXracer
08-05-2010, 07:43 AM
I picked up 4 cans of the Duplicolor fabric spray dye stuff, I will give it a try and see how it comes out.

Onasty
08-05-2010, 10:11 AM
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x243/whempblaya/SDC10451.jpg
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x243/whempblaya/SDC10450.jpg

RedSiBaron
08-05-2010, 10:18 AM
you damn kids with your spray cans!

interested to see how talons turns out...

Jukka
08-05-2010, 12:00 PM
did you have to take the entire side plastic pieces out to get your b-pillar covers off Onasty??

ttttrigg3r
08-05-2010, 12:12 PM
Onasty so you spray painted the pillars and what did you use for the headliner? It looks pretty good.

And would glue and fabric work like with the door inserts. Anyone think it would work with the headliner?

talonXracer
08-05-2010, 12:56 PM
I have almost three cans on the headliner and it looks decent already. I will let it dry overnight and get 2 more cans for the roof and that should look nice. I will also snag some for the trim as well, I will need to grab some more sand to blast the surface to clean and texture for the spray.

Onasty
08-05-2010, 01:04 PM
did you have to take the entire side plastic pieces out to get your b-pillar covers off Onasty??

no i just pulled them forward and it slipped out

Onasty so you spray painted the pillars and what did you use for the headliner? It looks pretty good.

And would glue and fabric work like with the door inserts. Anyone think it would work with the headliner?

I used the duplicolor spray idk y it looks faded in the picture but its black and when i put it in the car it looked really black. For anyone that doesnt know because i did you have to take the moonroof glass off to get to the privacy cover. Oh and if you paint the pillers b careful when installing them back in.

talonXracer
08-05-2010, 01:08 PM
Onasty, they are looking good, how many cans of spray did you use on the headliner?

Jukka
08-05-2010, 01:29 PM
perfect, thanks. Might swap my black ones in tonight.

Onasty
08-05-2010, 01:37 PM
Onasty, they are looking good, how many cans of spray did you use on the headliner?

Five, I wanted it black lol

talonXracer
08-05-2010, 01:57 PM
Five, I wanted it black lol

Yep that is exactly what I will end up using. And I do believe that seeing it is the black tint, that you need to apply it in several coats and when it is black enough there are no spray marks. I think the main reason why people are not satisfied with the headliner fabric spray is the very fact they do not apply enough to get the full color change.

I know I asked it somewheres but cant see to find the reply, but I want to disable the half-way closing stop on the sunroof and cant figure out which connector needs to be disconnected. The battery isnt installed or I could figure it out.

Jukka
08-05-2010, 03:36 PM
ill grab a pic right now...
EDIT: Pics

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff213/6GCCanada/sparkplugswitch009.jpg
the grey plug

in reference, this is looking in from the trunk
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff213/6GCCanada/sparkplugswitch010.jpg

talonXracer
08-05-2010, 06:56 PM
Thnx alot bro!

The pic tells a thousand words!

Jukka
08-06-2010, 09:00 AM
no prob sir. Last pics i took of my bare-ass roof. I've been running without a headliner for over a year, untill last night. Last night i got every thing back in and buttoned up. Sooo nice now. I still need to figure out how to change the shoulder part of the seat belt hanger black, but other than that, EVERYTHING is jet black, and my lights are black housed with a tinted lens on them. Ill grab pictures tonight.

talonXracer
08-07-2010, 11:01 AM
Well the headliner is done. I am very satisfied with the fabric spray from Dupli-color. I tried to find somewheres out of the sun to take a pic, but the sun shines thru the foliage in spots, but you can see that there are no spray patterns. Do make sure you get the flat colors and not the gloss, or it will look extremely rice.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g96/talonxracer/newinterior048.jpg

1 can=crap

2 cans=still crap

3 cans= starting to look ok

4 cans=this might actually work

5 cans=Wow, nice job!

ttttrigg3r
08-07-2010, 12:56 PM
That looks totally amazing. did you spray any of the other things like Onasty did?

johnkimble
08-07-2010, 01:14 PM
yeah that looks really, really good. i'm honestly surprised. great job

talonXracer
08-07-2010, 02:19 PM
I will be spraying the plastic panels as well, I have no idea how the plastic will turn out, if it doesnt turn out well on the plastic I will use the Duracote/Polane. But I believe that it should work well with the sandblasting prep prior to spraying that I plan, the textured virgin fresh plastic surface should accept the dye very well. The plastic button in the headliner for the manual sunroof opener, seemed to take the dye rather well.

johnkimble
08-07-2010, 02:53 PM
sounds like you are definitely doing this the right way. are you going to do the sunroof cover too?

talonXracer
08-07-2010, 03:16 PM
Yes, I plan on cleaning the sliding cover this weekend and giving it a dye job as well.

talonXracer
08-08-2010, 10:45 AM
I cleaned and dyed the sunroof sliding cover. I then took one of the "B" pillars that I had already hit with the sandblaster and tried the DupliColor stuff on it as well it took nicely and had a very even appearance. Even though it is the flat black dye it does have a slight satin finish to it on the plastic, just perfect, the gloss would be sickly rice looking.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g96/talonxracer/newinterior049.jpg

johnkimble
08-08-2010, 11:26 AM
money

Onasty
08-08-2010, 11:28 AM
yea i did all my pillars flat black and scratched one really bad re installing them

Jukka
08-08-2010, 12:44 PM
mine....headliner done in 3 cans of the duplicolor, and pannels done with duplicolor trim paint.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff213/6GCCanada/interiortegiwa004.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff213/6GCCanada/interiortegiwa003.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff213/6GCCanada/interiortegiwa005.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff213/6GCCanada/interiortegiwa006.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff213/6GCCanada/interiortegiwa008.jpg

Edit: I messed up my sunroof pannel just as i was going to install this all, so i have to re-upholster it again. I still need for figure out what to do about the grey seat belt hangers. Also need to do a slight touch up where the mic from my bluetooth comes through. When i drilled the hole it was slightly too small, didnt find that out untill i went to install it/after i dyed the liner.

Guardian
08-09-2010, 10:01 AM
1 can=crap

2 cans=still crap

3 cans= starting to look ok

4 cans=this might actually work

5 cans=Wow, nice job!

lol

if anyone needs another headliner to do this on i have one for sale $40 plus shipping
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?55206-FS-Guardian-Part-Out!!!-i-ll-keep-adding-so-keep-checking

talonXracer
08-14-2010, 05:46 PM
What a bitch it was to put the headliner back in! I had the worst time trying to get those first two slide clips to both start, many, many, many attempts and finally when I was starting to seriously consider no headliner it slipped into place as easy as pie, phucking turd eating scum sucking poop breath little jap engineer who devised that clever little mental and dexterity challange!

talonXracer
08-22-2010, 11:08 AM
I have the A and B pillar trim sprayed and installed, along with the front light/switch and sunroof control, they really look great. I think I should be able to also mask off and spray the loop on the belt itself as well. I had the rear side panels back in and remembered that I hadnt finished and installed the rear diagonal supports yet, so out they came again! One step forwards and two steps backwards......LOL

But the all black headliner and pillar trim looks AWESOME ! ! !

With the 15% tint on the rear 3 windows it is very dark in the back now.

ep3jd
08-23-2010, 10:05 AM
i'm going to wrap my pillars in faux suede. this has been my plan for over a year now. it will be more durable then the paint and lots of new cars have fabric pillars, and it will look great with the headliner.

AKAahlecks
08-10-2016, 06:50 PM
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but did you guys use the same paint/dye (duplicolor) on the "oh shit" handles? The handles are pretty flexible and malleable; I was wondering how it held up so far