PDA

View Full Version : Is there anyway you can disable the horn when locking the car?

hamproof
12-09-2002, 01:40 PM
When you hit lock twice within a few seconds of each press, the horn sounds. In my previous Civic (97 EX), you can disable the horn from sounding. Any way to do it on the Si? I prefer it to flash only. But if someone knows how to make the low beam flash instead of the parking light, it'll be even better. TIA

silver ep
12-09-2002, 01:46 PM
Just pressing the lock once locks all the locks, pressing a second time seems unnecessary. Correct me if Im wrong.

hamproof
12-09-2002, 02:02 PM
But I'm paranoid. I like pressing it a few times JUST IN CASE. In the 97 Civic EX, I could change it such that it only flashes the light. Most of the time after pressing it a few times I can see it flashing ;)

esmith13
12-09-2002, 03:31 PM
First Press Locks doors, second press (if in 5 seconds or less) ONLY SOUNDS HORN! It dosen't trip locking mechanism! If you want to trip the locks more than once, you have to wait at least 5 seconds after the first press to trip them again, and the horn won't sound then anyways!!

Hope this helps!

MYEP3
12-09-2002, 04:12 PM
hold down your arming button for 3 sec. It will just flash the light once for lock and twice for unlock.

hamproof
12-10-2002, 12:20 PM
I just like pressing it a few times coz' I'm paranoid and I don't like the honking coz' it annoys me as well as people around me. If it beeps rather than honk, it is ok with me. But since that's not the case, I would like to know if there's a way to change it.

Looks like there isn't. Btw, I tried holding down for a few secs and yes, though it locks or unlocks (if I press the unlock button) with a flash or 2 flashes of light, it does the same if I just press it once.

Guess I'll just live with the honking.

My98nsx
12-16-2002, 11:08 AM
Doesn't the first click lock the doors, and the second click, with the horn, arm the alarm?

djs

Gasp23
12-16-2002, 11:37 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what I remember.

Clicking once the unlock will unlock the driver's side.
Clicking twice the unlock will unlock everything.
Clicking once the LOCK, will lock everything.
Clicking twice the LOCK, will honk, meaning you already locked it. Think of it as an assurance that it did locked it. And it will arm the alarm if you have the factory alarm installed.

This is what I remember from the manual, do not quote me on this. Always refer to the owner's manual for the truth, not some interpretation of it.

civic hatch boi
12-16-2002, 12:45 PM
dang you guys are lucky.. dunno my factory alarm"i think KaRR" .. i got a honk out of everything.. once to lock it, i get a horn. once to open it, i get an honk.

most_hatedSi02
01-04-2003, 08:18 AM
yeah, my friend has a WRX and his honks for everything, it's kind of annoying. I would prefer a chirp!

Brettnyt
01-04-2003, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by most_hatedSi02
yeah, my friend has a WRX and his honks for everything, it's kind of annoying. I would prefer a chirp!

I would love a chirp! How can we install that for our stock locking mechanism? How much do the chirp sirens cost?

Tekdemon
01-17-2003, 02:47 AM
1) Factory Alarms are worthless....
2) Immobilizer isn't worthless yay!
3) As long as you don't leave anything IN the car stop being paranoid....on the other hand, if you leave your cell phone in the car you should probably have an alarm even if it's useless.

Locking the doors more than once won't do anything if you don't have an alarm....even if it's locked I don't see how much extra benefit vs an unlocked door there would be since someone could just smash your window if you left valuables and don't have any alarm.

By the way the factory alarms can be disabled in about 10 seconds by even the most amateur crook...of course nobody ever believes you when you're trying to explain the concept...I was telling this to my mother and on the day we finally picked up my car someone set off an alarm on a car in the dealership and they turned it off the way a car thieve would...of course they took a while since I guess they were trying to find the key or some crap first and don't really go for the easy quick alarm kill.

Oh and the way to kill the alarm REAL fast is to [REMOVED so there aren't more amatuer car thieves lol] alarm goes silent instantly(it sure as hell worked on the Accord in the showroom...). Which is exactly why I think factory alarms are junk =P Your alarm will ring for all of 10 seconds...maybe less if the thief has an accomplice.

5-15 seconds to totally disarm your several hundred dollar factory alarm. People will just think some idiot accidentally set off his alarm and the thieves will grab whatever the heck is in your car, then leave. Immobilizer is harder to get past so there wouldn't be much point there in trying(unless the thieves don't realize you have immobilizer...in which case they're idiots).

So the point of my entire rant here is that you shouldn't leave valuables in the car and feel safe because you have the factory alarm. And if you don't have the factory alarm, just chill with the arming and arm once and look for the flash, or just live with the honk. I like the honk since it lets people know I'm arming something or another(well, in this case really just to show people there's some kinda locking system...just immobilizer but it's a passive cutoff anyway-plus there's nothing in my car since I know alarms can be killed quick).

And most aftermarket alarms are also rather generically installed so disabling those is often too simple and would take approximately the same amount of time.

If you're really paranoid you would need an alarm system that is custom made so disabling it would require someone to know where the vulnerable point(or if you're really paranoid and have a super redundant alarm, points) would be. And this alarm would also have to have features that would make it invulnerable to the first method that can kill factory alarms easily...yes I'm making this post super vague because I don't think everybody needs to know how to kill 90% of the alarms out there =P