PDA

View Full Version : should i get a new radiator??

lbk02si
07-28-2010, 07:47 AM
So i'm about to get my Full Race turbo kit installed here in about a month and i'm wanting to know if i should go ahead and get an aftermarket race type radiator to keep the temps down?? and if so what kinda do you guys recommend? i was thinking mishimoto

talonXracer
07-28-2010, 07:57 AM
No real need for an new rad.

Though I have built a additional cooling scheme for my engine, it uses an additional heater valve for a secondary aux rad(think heater core or smaller size) for summer time use. I got the idea from when I would drive around in the summer and watch the temps just climb and stay fairly high, unless I turned the heater on hot and then the coolant temps dropped, but the interior temperatures were too high.

lbk02si
07-28-2010, 08:03 AM
No real need for an new rad.

Though I have built a additional cooling scheme for my engine, it uses an additional heater valve for a secondary aux rad(think heater core or smaller size) for summer time use. I got the idea from when I would drive around in the summer and watch the temps just climb and stay fairly high, unless I turned the heater on hot and then the coolant temps dropped, but the interior temperatures were too high.

hmmm, interesting idea! i like the sound of that, where did you mount the auxillary unit, and is it manually controlled??

talonXracer
07-28-2010, 08:14 AM
I havnt mounted it yet, I still need to fab up a housing for it out of Cf and epoxy, but I think it will basically sit where the old airbox sat, though smaller and more towards the rear of the trans, the outlet will aim at the drivers wheelwell. It will be controlled by a thermo switch with manual operation as well. A small electric fan will move the air thru the aux rad when a temp sender see's high temps there.

It was common practice with old V8 hotrod's to run the heater all the time in the summer to keep temps down.

lbk02si
07-28-2010, 08:24 AM
I havnt mounted it yet, I still need to fab up a housing for it out of Cf and epoxy, but I think it will basically sit where the old airbox sat, though smaller and more towards the rear of the trans, the outlet will aim at the drivers wheelwell. It will be controlled by a thermo switch with manual operation as well. A small electric fan will move the air thru the aux rad when a temp sender see's high temps there.

It was common practice with old V8 hotrod's to run the heater all the time in the summer to keep temps down.

yea i knew about running the heater to kept the temps down, but i never really thought about an aux radiator type deal. i'd really like to see pics when you are done

Onasty
07-28-2010, 08:28 AM
i would love to see these results also

talonXracer
07-28-2010, 08:51 AM
most assuredly I will post up pics.