PDA

View Full Version : Test pipe/stock catback install

jokewood
07-28-2010, 04:18 PM
Right now I am running a catback exhaust with Megan racing test pipe. I am moving to Washington and need to drive the car about 40 hours so I want to put the stock catback on as its pretty loud now. Anyone run it with a test pipe/stock catback? Is it much louder than stock? How does it sound? Also, I tried looking at the how-to's and didn't quite get a clear answer. Is it possible to swap the cat-back with the car only on two jack stands? I'm worried it will be too long/awkward to work it through the rear suspension. Thanks in advance!

AUTiger
07-28-2010, 06:05 PM
it will be a pain with 2 jackstands, but DEFINITELY doable. It will sound just fine with the stock axelback, way quieter than your current setup.

.colin
07-29-2010, 04:10 AM
i did mine on ramps, so i would say you could do it on 2 stands as long as the front it up. If youre a bigger guy you may have problems, im pretty thin so i could slip under there to work

EPSU3
07-29-2010, 05:45 PM
I just took off my skunk2 for a megan midpipe with only 2 stands. I jacked up the back and unbolted the axle back portion, then set it down and jacked the front up and removed the pipe at the cat. I'm so happy with the megan midpipe to stock axle back, it was worth jacking the car up several times.

ep-unit
08-02-2010, 07:18 PM
hows everyone liking the megan testpipe?

2005SI
08-02-2010, 08:00 PM
i did mine on ramps, so i would say you could do it on 2 stands as long as the front it up. If youre a bigger guy you may have problems, im pretty thin so i could slip under there to work

use ramps if you have it of course, it is much easier and safer as long as you put ur car into gear/ebrake... it shouldn't take you more than 40 minutes just lubricate the bolts holding the muffler and rubber mounts, will come off like a baby

jokewood
08-07-2010, 08:08 AM
Thanks for the input. This should make things a bit easier and save me some money. Anyone know the bolt sizes for the cat to midpipe and midpipe to axleback connections? I live in Michigan (salt) so I am just going to pick up new ones anyways since they are cheap enough.

EPSU3
08-07-2010, 12:14 PM
They're 10mm with 14mm heads. I forget if it is 10 x.1.25mm or 1.5mm. Just bought them last week.