PDA

View Full Version : supercharge HELP!!!

eroxer310
07-28-2010, 09:00 PM
Hey ephatch so im thinking of supercharging my k20a3 with a "jrsc",i wanna hit 300hp at the wheels,
my question is what can i do to get my motor to do that from head work to the block and trans,

and please dont answer saying, "dont build the k20a3, just get a k20a2, or a k24 swap"

i love my a3 =]]] and wanna build it. But yes
please help wanna hit 300hp =]]

Sucka
07-28-2010, 09:08 PM
I'm gonna have to say it.... It's gonna be alot of work and alot of money, but if thats not an issue for you and your rich. I would say you would have to build your buttom and head and maybe nitrous to get it in the 300whp.

I think Roy maybe 306whp with k24a2 + JRSC + I/RH/E? I know if he built his buttom and head alittle it'll make much more.

eroxer310
07-28-2010, 09:52 PM
Interesting so, can u please tell exactly why is it that i cant get that type of hp on my k20a3, doesnt the k20a3 have lower compression which allows u to boost more,.

I thought basically the main difference between all other k series motors and the k20a3 was the head,
like lets say the k20a2, i thot the only differnece was only cams, intake manifold and bigger throttle body, or sumthing like that???

Sucka
07-28-2010, 09:59 PM
Interesting so, can u please tell exactly why is it that i cant get that type of hp on my k20a3, doesnt the k20a3 have lower compression which allows u to boost more,.

I thought basically the main difference between all other k series motors and the k20a3 was the head,
like lets say the k20a2, i thot the only differnece was only cams, intake manifold and bigger throttle body, or sumthing like that???

I'm not an expert. I got the basic bolt-ons for my k20a3 JRSC + CAI/RH/E. You can ask TalonXRacer He's a motor god.

eurosteez
07-28-2010, 09:59 PM
go search around here and read up...it has to do with the a3 exhaust port not being controlled by the ivtec.

if your hella ambitious do this...
rebuild internals (cam shaft, cam gears, pistons, rods, valves and springs etc)
JRSC-RACE with Kpro
work with some kpro tuner to max her out
and add a double shot of Nos and you might be at 300 ponies

good luck

eroxer310
07-28-2010, 10:11 PM
go search around here and read up...it has to do with the a3 exhaust port not being controlled by the ivtec.

If your hella ambitious do this...
Rebuild internals (cam shaft, cam gears, pistons, rods, valves and springs etc)
jrsc-race with kpro
work with some kpro tuner to max her out
and add a double shot of nos and you might be at 300 ponies

good luck

so is the a3 basically impossible to get to 300 with out nitrous. That sucks, cuz what u said is basically what i was thinkin to do
buying basically everything, like u said
cams, valves, springs, retainers, forged pistons, rods etc

so whats the best k series motor to supercharge with the jrsc-race with k pro i was thinkin of goin with like 8-10 psi

eroxer310
07-28-2010, 10:20 PM
http://www.supercharger.com/graphics/products/zoom/989-300Racedyno.jpg

http://www.supercharger.com/CustomerService/DynoChart.aspx?Chart=RSX_S_Race_SC.jpg

http://www.supercharger.com/graphics/products/instructions/06_civic_si_dyno.jpg

I SEE THESE DYNOS FROM JACKSON RACING

kprocivic
07-28-2010, 10:43 PM
k20a2, k24a2, k20a you can reach your goal. prolly the k24a1 and turbo cams with the race kit may put you close but the first three engines will get you there. a gang of people turbo'd the a3 and are running around 300. if ur stuck on supercharging bust out your wallet.

Lucid Moments
07-29-2010, 03:33 AM
I've got a built K24 frank with the JRSC and I'm not quite hitting 300whp (296.4). And I've done just about everything you can do. Good luck hitting 300 with a K20a3.

BlownSi05
07-29-2010, 05:12 AM
You have a few things fighting you to hit 300whp on a JRSC K20A3. First is the motor itself. The K20A3 was built really as the economy K motor, similar to the K24A1 for the CRV. It has VTEC, but not in the sense as everything thinks of it from the B series motors. You are also starting out at an already lower HP number plus lower compression compared to the other K motors listed above. Another big problem with all the JRSC setups is heat. Since we have no room for an aftercooler/heat exchanger setup to cool the blower and air charge, the only options we have is water/meth kits or nitrous. If you want to run anything over 8 PSI effectively, you have to run some sort of cooling system.

On a K20A3, based on numbers from other members and my own numbers, my thoughts for mods to hit 300whp on a JRSC K20A3 would be:

650cc Injectors
Maxbore TB and port matched S/C inlet
Good 3" CAI
Good race header
2.5-3" Exhaust
Cams and valvetrain (i would suggest the brian crowers)
a minimum of a 50 wet shot nitrous
K-Pro

It is a lot of money and time, which is why I would recommend a swap and then JRSC. You will be happier in the end, trust me.

superchargedk20
07-29-2010, 10:33 AM
ur not hittin 300whp on a a3 with a jrsc so dont even bother trying. revhard kit and ull get 300whp on a a3 but even that is the limit. U dont wana go higher than 300whp on a a3

AUTiger
07-29-2010, 10:58 AM
low compression doesn't mean jack when supercharged, increase compression to 10.5-11.1, swap on an a2 head(easier and possibly cheaper than cams and valvetrain) get an Rsx-s JRSC and 35 shot of nitrous. And with a good intake and raceheader I am willing to bet you get your goal of 300. A 50 shot would be a little much, most supercharged dyno's with nitrous gain more than the actual shot because of the added cooling effects. A 35 shot could be more like 45-50hp all said and done.

I plan on a taking a supercharging a k24a4 in the future, using my skunk2 stage 2 all motor cams, my injen CAI, my KRRH and a custom 2.5in exhaust. Ideally the blower will be from a type-s. Or depending on the deals I can find in the future maybe a kraftwerks rotrex supercharger.

cloumep3
07-29-2010, 05:35 PM
You have a few things fighting you to hit 300whp on a JRSC K20A3. First is the motor itself. The K20A3 was built really as the economy K motor, similar to the K24A1 for the CRV. It has VTEC, but not in the sense as everything thinks of it from the B series motors. You are also starting out at an already lower HP number plus lower compression compared to the other K motors listed above. Another big problem with all the JRSC setups is heat. Since we have no room for an aftercooler/heat exchanger setup to cool the blower and air charge, the only options we have is water/meth kits or nitrous. If you want to run anything over 8 PSI effectively, you have to run some sort of cooling system.

On a K20A3, based on numbers from other members and my own numbers, my thoughts for mods to hit 300whp on a JRSC K20A3 would be:

650cc Injectors
Maxbore TB and port matched S/C inlet
Good 3" CAI
Good race header
2.5-3" Exhaust
Cams and valvetrain (i would suggest the brian crowers)
a minimum of a 50 wet shot nitrous
K-Pro

It is a lot of money and time, which is why I would recommend a swap and then JRSC. You will be happier in the end, trust me.

So, for example, if I'm SC-ing my DD with street kit, I'll be okay without aftercooler or meth-kit? I'm sure I'd benefit from having either installed, but I'm mostly concerned about detonation from high temp...

vbpracer
07-29-2010, 06:31 PM
I dont think so much a meth kit or other aftercooler with k20a3 and jrsc s, when the supercharger spins at higher rpms is when you want cooling, 9+ psi. A good tune will remove detonation when using kpro.

cloumep3
07-29-2010, 06:37 PM
I dont think so much a meth kit or other aftercooler with k20a3 and jrsc s, when the supercharger spins at higher rpms is when you want cooling, 9+ psi. A good tune will remove detonation when using kpro.

hm..., then going with A3 race kit and using 4.0 pulley which it comes with, as long as I don't put it to heavy load, I should be okay??? Of course it will be tuned with Kpro(not by myself)... and I do baby my ride. Thanks much for your input vbpracer. and sorry for thread jacking OP!

vbpracer
07-29-2010, 06:39 PM
Yes 7-8 psi no cooling necessary, Good tune and you will be fine.

MugenReplica
07-29-2010, 07:03 PM
Theory suggests, that it IS POSSIBLE, but probably not worth the cash.

If you want to hit it, this is a the only feasible theory I can come up with.....

1) RSX JRSC, with an autotensioner.
2) Erik Loza or Jmercado Aftercooler.
3) K20z1 or K20z3 VTEC cams in your K20a3 head (you WILL need supporting mods for this).
4) Meth injection.
5) The 2.6" JRSC pulley with a K20a2 crank pulley jacking boost to 15psi.
6) Then if there is doubt for 300whp, buy Jmercado's 1600AX twin screw conversion and pray on your first dyno pull. Because there won't be a second.

It's completely uncharted territory. No matter what anybody says on here, it IS POSSIBLE with the correct supporting mods. It's just going to cost you cash to keep one upping it if you don't make it on your initial dyno pull. Listen to superchargedk20 in most aspects. He's done most of the things you can do with Skunk2 cams and meth injection and managed to reach 255whp. That put him at 1st for the JRSC K20a3 JRSC whp list. 2nd was Oogy Boogy at 244whp and Jerseyjew with 235whp at 3rd. Just a little Ephatch history if that helps you out.

Canuck Civic
07-29-2010, 09:18 PM
I'm looking to be #1 lol. I have the RSX kit and I already have the aftercooler core just need to purchase the pump and heat exchanger. I'm also trying this with the vtec killers so far I like it. Just need a better header then I will hit a dyno here.

eroxer310
08-01-2010, 07:41 PM
ok well hey ty everyone i guess ima go the safer route and get the k20a2 swap=] i learned sum difference about the motors on this link ----->http://www.hondata.com/techk20general.html

superchargedk20
08-01-2010, 11:21 PM

If you want to hit it, this is a the only feasible theory I can come up with.....

3) K20z1 or K20z3 VTEC cams in your K20a3 head (you WILL need supporting mods for this).
4) Meth injection.
6) Then if there is doubt for 300whp, buy Jmercado's 1600AX twin screw conversion and pray on your first dyno pull. Because there won't be a second.

It's completely uncharted territory. No matter what anybody says on here, it IS POSSIBLE with the correct supporting mods. It's just going to cost you cash to keep one upping it if you don't make it on your initial dyno pull. Listen to superchargedk20 in most aspects. He's done most of the things you can do with Skunk2 cams and meth injection and managed to reach 255whp. That put him at 1st for the JRSC K20a3 JRSC whp list. 2nd was Oogy Boogy at 244whp and Jerseyjew with 235whp at 3rd. Just a little Ephatch history if that helps you out.
I had the crower stage 2 cams which in respect i think is compared to skunk2 stage 1's. Goin with a more aggressive cam might net more but ur gona need a good tuner as well. Regardless aggressive cam or no cam still not reachin 300 on the a3. Plus i reved my a3 to 8700 rpm's to reach those number. But it lasted just fine, never had issues. The boost bug just kept biting and after a couple years with a a3 JRSC i just knew it wasnt worth it.

superchargedk20
08-01-2010, 11:26 PM
ok well hey ty everyone i guess ima go the safer route and get the k20a2 swap=] i learned sum difference about the motors on this link ----->http://www.hondata.com/techk20general.html

if ur goal is 300 u can do it on the a3 just turbo instead. Mini-oddessy hit 301whp i beleive on a revhard kit with a 3in exhaust. Its all on the tune. Wana be more reliable and 300 is really ur only goal why not just get a k24a1 and turbo? You will destroy 300 on 12 psi on that . Plus ur tq numbers will be in the 300's as well. And Itll be cheaper than a A2

eroxer310
08-02-2010, 08:50 AM
So the k24a1 is beter than the k20a2, what the hp and tq difference , well um I kinda don't wanna go because IMO its played out, everyone is always doing it and by superhargin ill feel unique :)

Passenger
08-02-2010, 09:11 AM
So the k24a1 is beter than the k20a2, what the hp and tq difference , well um I kinda don't wanna go because IMO its played out, everyone is always doing it and by superhargin ill feel unique :)

k24a1 160HP/160TQ but can handle boost a lot better than the k20a3 ever could.
and the k20a2 is obviously the rsx type s. Higher revving engine.
Just depends on what your definition of better is

04EP3Hatch
08-02-2010, 04:39 PM

4) Meth injection.

i made 241 :) but no, to the OP. 300hp is a high mark, i dont think you can hit 300, but i think you can hit a nice number. I made 241 on the 3.8 stock a3, stock cams, no meth, nothin. I would say if you want to stay A3, do the iVtec killer build with a ITR intake cam and a 06-07 k24a2 TSX exhaust cam, massage and port the JRSC manifold for the ep3, have the inlet ported and the throttle body bored to match, a GOOD three inch intake (will have to be custom fabbed, the aem and injen one's IMO are junk, the incoming air makes a direct 90 degree angle before entering the throttle body, not good for flow, If anything mock up the old style injen that wraps around the battery, thats what i will be doing), As far as a header goes, the kiddracing is the shit, enough said. I think it's the reason i made 241. and either a 2.75 or 3" exhaust. I would keep the A3 crank pulley and run say a 3.7 with some methanol, or e85. or both. you can make your car fast with the JRSC, just takes a little more time and thought than just slapping a turbo on

04EP3Hatch
08-02-2010, 04:41 PM
I'm looking to be #1 lol. I have the RSX kit and I already have the aftercooler core just need to purchase the pump and heat exchanger. I'm also trying this with the vtec killers so far I like it. Just need a better header then I will hit a dyno here.

oh i didnt even see this im sorry, with the aftercooler and the rsx jrsc its definately possible to hit a high number. just choose the right cams for the vtec killer, the setup i stated would work perfectly, and with the after cooler you wouldnt need methanol, but e85 would be the bee's knee's

civichbsi209
08-25-2010, 10:44 AM
Hey ephatch so im thinking of supercharging my k20a3 with a "jrsc",i wanna hit 300hp at the wheels,
my question is what can i do to get my motor to do that from head work to the block and trans,

and please dont answer saying, "dont build the k20a3, just get a k20a2, or a k24 swap"

i love my a3 =]]] and wanna build it. But yes
please help wanna hit 300hp =]]

300whp on a k20a3 is scary thin line between safe and blown motor, we have had many members going that route in trying to reach just 300hp on jrsc. The closest i got with out the right supporting mods (ie: bigger exhaust, better racing headers) was 270whp on the rotrex kit. If your set on using the k20a3 (which i dont recommend), get a rotrex kit at least c30-94 and get custom rh and exhaust you might be able to to obtain the 300whp mark on a supcharger, or go old jrsc and use a cooling method ie: RSX aftercooler kit, or add nos.

Twisted-X
09-04-2010, 09:09 AM

Just curious, you haven't run into any issues with boost blowing through the head because of valve timing overlap? I was reading that Skunk2 doesn't recommend some of their cams with boost because the lift duration causes this problem.
Was searching if anybody had run a supercharger with the killers and what numbers they recieved.

willy_akino
09-06-2010, 12:07 AM
with the money ur gonna put to hit 300whp with a jrsc on a a3 ur better off swapping or going turbo. ditch the a3 or jrsc n jus go turbo or swap