PDA

View Full Version : knocking sound FL strut after installing RACELAND

Ronnie
07-29-2010, 10:05 PM
title says it all. took the tein ss out yesterday and installed the raceland to see what is up with these 300 bucks coils that everyone talks about, and so i did
- i took Emily out for test drive this afternoon and I heard some terrible knocking sound coming off of front left (driver side)....especially when it came to making turns .... so i took the strut out, checked everything, re-lubricate the bearing and put it back on, but it was still the same.

ANY HELP ????

- JUST FYI: these reaceland coils feel so much better than my ss. It rides a lot nicer, not as stiff as ss ..... :jaw:

POOPTOOTH
07-30-2010, 06:15 AM
took the tein ss out yesterday and installed the raceland

Found your problem! :mangel:

NickL
07-30-2010, 07:08 AM
That bearing could be shot completely. Try replacing it I think theyre only like 12$.

Ronnie
07-30-2010, 09:05 AM
Found your problem! :mangel:

I'm sorry but That's not the correct answer...

That bearing could be shot completely. Try replacing it I think theyre only like 12$.

Oh yes i did that. 1. two new oem tie rod ends (took the inverted TRE out) 2. New bearings 3. lubricate the heck out of everthing from top to bottom.

Ronnie
07-30-2010, 10:32 AM
any idea ??

gizmo_75
07-30-2010, 11:20 AM
Bump this shit up!
Mine is doin it too...wtf?!

POOPTOOTH
07-30-2010, 11:22 AM
I'm sorry but That's not the correct answer...

Well it didn't make the sound with the Teins, and now it does, so.... In a way, it is the correct answer.

Ronnie
07-30-2010, 11:27 AM
Well it didn't make the sound with the Teins, and now it does, so.... In a way, it is the correct answer.
pillowball ???? or stock upper mount ????

schumacher916
07-30-2010, 12:10 PM
Dayem...gotta figure this out first before I order the Raceland Coilovers...$300 is a good deal but...only time will tell...

NickL
07-30-2010, 01:40 PM
Do you have the spring preloaded at all? If not when you drop the car down off the jack the spring may not correctly seat in the top hat. If you have some preload in the spring you can seat the spring before dropping the car. If it doesn't seat the spring could be binding in the top hat causing your problem.

I don't know how low you have it set right now but try raising it until the spring is preloaded.

Ronnie
07-30-2010, 09:23 PM
Do you have the spring preloaded at all? If not when you drop the car down off the jack the spring may not correctly seat in the top hat. If you have some preload in the spring you can seat the spring before dropping the car. If it doesn't seat the spring could be binding in the top hat causing your problem.

I don't know how low you have it set right now but try raising it until the spring is preloaded.

thats what we figured out today. The possibility that spring is not sited correctly on the top hat is 3 out of 10.
make sense , but why does it do this only on driver side though ???
- first thing ama gonna do in the morning is to check this out, I will try to preload the spring until it sits properly in the top hat.

thx BTW :thumbu:

monjarassi
07-30-2010, 10:41 PM
Thats weird i havent ever had a problem with mine ever since i installed them and have adjusted heights several times and never had the problem with the spring and top hat contact. Hope u find the prob..

Ronnie
07-31-2010, 12:12 PM
Thats weird i havent ever had a problem with mine ever since i installed them and have adjusted heights several times and never had the problem with the spring and top hat contact. Hope u find the prob..

Well, i know a few people that installed a set of coils and then this poping sound came up after 1K ~ 2K, but mine did this thing right away.

Ronnie
07-31-2010, 12:17 PM
So yesterday I swap the raceland with the tein ss and it still did the same thing....

- anyone know if IT IS POSSIBLE that upper mount is not sited correctly ????? or something like that ???
- I will be replacing the upper mount tomorrow, we will se what happen

Jestervs
07-31-2010, 03:03 PM
Check the how the spring is seated like NickL suggested, if you haven't already. I was thinking maybe something wasn't torqued all the way when you put on the Raceland's and you had the same thing happen with the Tien's now. Make sure you're torquing down all the bolts tight enough. Just recheck every bolt and use a torque wrench if possible, even if you're sure that you didn't even loosen that bolt lol. I've heard of people having to tighten the end-links for the sway bars and that solved the noise problem. You said you replaced the TREs but check the hub too for any play, but I think that's unlikely.

Hope you figure it out man. Good luck to you!
: D

Ronnie
08-01-2010, 12:57 PM
Check the how the spring is seated like NickL suggested, if you haven't already. I was thinking maybe something wasn't torqued all the way when you put on the Raceland's and you had the same thing happen with the Tien's now. Make sure you're torquing down all the bolts tight enough. Just recheck every bolt and use a torque wrench if possible, even if you're sure that you didn't even loosen that bolt lol. I've heard of people having to tighten the end-links for the sway bars and that solved the noise problem. You said you replaced the TREs but check the hub too for any play, but I think that's unlikely.

Hope you figure it out man. Good luck to you!
: D

Spent all my time yesterday trying to figure out the problem. showed the car to a mechanic, and we came into an agreement that the tie rod is fucked from steering rack, So he told me to get :
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w312/akomracing/Picture043.jpg
and
http://www.nengun.com/m-and-m-honda/tie-rod-set

rd02SiR
08-01-2010, 05:01 PM
you sure it's not the pillow ball mount? When i got my Megans installed i was getting a popping/clunking noise in the front. Turns out the nut that goes through the pillowball was loose. Hard to explain, but the nut under my dampning adjuster, the middle of the strut¯on top.

ep-unit
08-01-2010, 11:41 PM
hope the problem is fixed

Ronnie
08-04-2010, 09:27 PM
you sure it's not the pillow ball mount? When i got my Megans installed i was getting a popping/clunking noise in the front. Turns out the nut that goes through the pillowball was loose. Hard to explain, but the nut under my dampning adjuster, the middle of the strut¯on top.

Oh no , its not that
well, it turns out to be my inner tie rod.
long story short, I showed it to a mechanic and he said it could only be the inner tie rod ( 53521-S5A-003 TIE ROD SUB-ASSY ) here (http://www.hondapartsnow.com/online/Page_Product/PartDetail.aspx?catalogID=58&productID=4&yearID=20&doorID=2&gradeID=11&areaID=2&transmissionID=3&originID=-1&colorLabelIDs=-1&colorLabelID=-1&sectionID=6&idAndImageID=10190%20463709&isBigPicture=False&pageName=P.S.%20Gear%20Box%20(EPS)) : number 6..... which causes the poping sound. - it made sense b/c even without any pressure / load on the suspension it would still pop by trying to move the strut assembly.
so what's the possibility that inner tie rod is messed ?? could it be something else ??

-here is where I feel the poping at; even if i don't touch it i can easily hear it from distance
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac22/maniii85/DSC00260.jpg

Edit : picture used as a reference

Ronnie
08-07-2010, 07:58 AM
Bump, anyone ?

ep3jd
08-08-2010, 06:36 AM
did you use the wrong top spring perch? they give you 2 sets, for 02-03 and for 04-05, maybe this is your issue?

Jestervs
08-08-2010, 02:34 PM
I can't look it up right now, but try finding something about replacing that piece that you highlighted in your picture. The piece that your TRE both meet. When you lower the car enough it puts the tie rods at an angle rather than being flat. So It will pop almost like a shoulder from hyper extension. I saw something about someone on ClubRsx selling a replacement because it's a common problem with Electronic Power Steering units when you lower the car to a certain point. If that's where you are feeling/hearing the noise, then it's worth looking into.

Jestervs
08-08-2010, 02:38 PM
Here's the page I was talking about:
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=494883