PDA

View Full Version : Rusty Bolts :0

Allamon13
07-30-2010, 04:58 PM
I got a strup shorty and a megan midpipe i attempted to put on today. Well it started out shitty i couldnt remove the heat shield on the oem header, so i bent it back hoping to remove the bolts on the header itself. Well of course i couldnt even get them to budge. So i figure hell ill just put on my midpipe. Well half an hour later and bolts that are even more rusty im sitting there more pissed off than ever. How much you think a shop would charge to install both?

itchy5
07-30-2010, 05:10 PM
alot. get some PB blaster

Civic5lug
07-30-2010, 05:36 PM
ut:yeahthat: And a small propane tourch. Most of the time just a little heat and some PB blaster does the trick. Also never use anything but 6pt sockets!

EPSU3
07-30-2010, 07:54 PM
Worst case scenario get a dremel with hard metal cutting disks. Last option though, it sucks.

ep3egg
07-30-2010, 08:20 PM
alot. get some PB blaster

thats exactly what i was goin 2 suggest, soak it with pb blaster and hit the bolts to send vibration through the metal. g/l

Allamon13
07-30-2010, 08:23 PM
ya ill try that. that or ill get my dad to help he can get anything off i swear

Tnhatch03
07-30-2010, 08:35 PM
i would be more inclined to offer my suggestion if you post up a larger picture of your avatar... :-)

but seriously....

no....seriously...

BeaterEP
07-30-2010, 08:43 PM
:yeahthat:

But really, best thing is to hit `em with PB Blaster and let it soak in for a while. I hit mine two or three diff times during the week before doing the work on a weekend, just to make sure it gets a chance to soak in really well.

Hasn't failed me yet! :thumbu:

Seriously though, about that avatar pic...

04bluepearl
07-30-2010, 09:00 PM
heat! if you dont have means of getting the hardware hot enough just chop that shit off. A dremel with a cut off wheel will get the job done in a few minutes.

BeaterEP
07-30-2010, 09:30 PM
I think heat and cutting are only necessary for you Yanks :mbiggrin:
Down here in the Southland where we don't get road salt every winter, PB Blaster and some good old-fashioned torque will usually do the job.
Guess it would help if the OP let us know where he's at, so we knew if he had to worry about normal rust or industrial strength rust...

makavelibranded
07-30-2010, 09:35 PM
thats exactly what i was goin 2 suggest, soak it with pb blaster and hit the bolts to send vibration through the metal. g/l

works for me (almost) everytime:mcool:

airtools are miracle workers too

Allamon13
07-31-2010, 04:25 AM
i would be more inclined to offer my suggestion if you post up a larger picture of your avatar... :-)

but seriously....

no....seriously...

haha my car nor girl were lookin their finest in that pic which is the bad part if your drooling!

and im south of pittsburgh shits pretty rusted.

talonXracer
07-31-2010, 06:03 AM
Cut all those rusty bolts off, they shouldnt be reused anyways.

EPSU3
07-31-2010, 08:50 AM
I had to cut the bolts off my two year old exhaust and end links this week. I even used never seize. And as always, Talon is right, you gotta replace that stuff anyway so the hell with it. I spent an hour with breaker bars, cheater pipes and soaking everything with PB blaster. A few well spent minutes with a grinder and the job was done.

Allamon13
07-31-2010, 11:51 AM
Problem is the heat shield on the header. Its in a difficult spot. So i bent it back hoping to pop the bolts off the header. Ill soak it up with some more pb blaster and see what happens! Any1 got a quick reply of the replacement bolts

Mighty_Mouse_Ep
07-31-2010, 12:04 PM
if your installing a replacement header your not going to need the heat shield. As for replacement bolts for the bolts that connect to the cat i they are i believe m10x1.25 the ones on that connect to the cat to the header with the spring bolts are m8x1.25.