PDA

View Full Version : Skunk2 MegaPower R fitment ?'s with stock cat

ep3turbo
07-31-2010, 02:57 PM
I have an 02 EP3 with a RevHard Turbo and a stock cat. I tried to install a Skunk2 MegaPower R cat-back exhaust but I noticed during installation that the stock catalytic converters diameter is a little smaller than the exhaust. Any suggestions on what I should do? This is my second exhaust install. My first one was a GReddy EVO 2 but it fit my stock cat just fine. Is there an aftermarket cat I could buy that's compatible with this setup? If so, where can I buy it?

EPSU3
07-31-2010, 10:08 PM
I'm pretty sure that's normal. The outlet of the cat is going to be smaller than both the 60mm and 70mm exhausts that skunk2 makes because it was intended to be paired up with the stock 1.8 inch midpipe. If you want a higher flowing cat for a turbo set up get an ebay test pipe and have a carsound/magnaflow hi flow cat welded in. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me will come along and correct my ramblings. Also, if it is Type R fitment it should be able 3 inches too short to bolt up.

ep3turbo
07-31-2010, 10:51 PM
Thanks. Yea, that makes sense. That at least points me in the right direction. I was hoping to avoid welding because I plan on doing this install myself and I don't have equipment nor the knowledge to weld anything.
Are you referring to the exhaust being Type-R fitment? I feel dumb asking that but I'm new at this so I'm going to ask anything until I full understand.

EPSU3
08-01-2010, 08:23 PM
Yeah, if it is for the EP3 R you're going to come up short. I'm not sure what the official name of the exhaust is since I got mine from an Ebay store like 3 years ago, but if you have a Type R version you need to get an adapter made or buy a RSX Type S header. The Type S header will make up for the gap.

ep3turbo
08-01-2010, 10:16 PM
Oh OK. It says its for an 02 Civic Si so I'm good there. I just ordered a test pipe off e-bay with a 2.5" outlet. That should be big enough to mount right up to the Skunk2 exhaust. It's still a hair to small but I'll be able to make that work...I hope.

EPSU3
08-02-2010, 07:40 AM
yeah I had a megan test pipe on my s2. No problems.

4angrybadgers
08-04-2010, 05:52 AM
EPSU3 is correct on the pipe diameter difference. You would have to get someone to weld the larger flange (provided with the exhaust) onto your cat/header. I'm not sure about your test pipe's downstream flange, but hopefully it matches up. The exhaust is the correct length for a US Si, not the Type-R, so no worries there.

To be honest, the catalytic converter is a lot more restriction than most exhausts ever will be, so putting the 70mm exhaust on while keeping the stock cat was a waste. The test pipe will do you well.

rabbitteeth
10-16-2010, 05:03 PM
I'm having this same problem, attempted to install the skunk2 megapower r and it did not agree with the stock cat. Doesn't a race header eliminate the cat and if so would it match up to the skunk2?

EP3tuner410
10-18-2010, 09:12 PM
My brother didn't have an issues with his Skunk 2 MPR exhaust system and he has a comptech header with a random technology hi flow cat.

On the other hand a buddy of mine did have trouble and he had the SSR race header with hi flow cat.

Speed Star offers the random technology hi flow cat at the best price as far as i've seen.

Contact Wayne to see if they have any info on fitment issues and to see if it's a stocked item.

4angrybadgers
10-19-2010, 06:45 AM
I'm having this same problem, attempted to install the skunk2 megapower r and it did not agree with the stock cat. Doesn't a race header eliminate the cat and if so would it match up to the skunk2?

The DC Sports race header has a stock-sized flange, so it didn't match up directly, and I imagine most other off-the-shelf headers will be the same.

ImportCustomx
10-19-2010, 08:07 AM
doesnt skunk2 have the Type R exhuast and then the regular megapower exhaust. when you have the type r version you need a race header and test pipe.

just figured id chime in with that.