PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with door inserts

ttttrigg3r
07-31-2010, 06:25 PM
My door inserts, the red bought from vlektr, I did 2 weeks ago are not bonding permanently. They're kinda unsticking where I sprayed the glue and I have to use my hands to smooth them out to get them to stick until the next time they do that again. I used cheap "Duro All purpose spray adhesive" bought from Lowes. Anyone experience problem like I am? Should I have used a more expensive adhesive like 3M? I also didn't overspray because I didn't want it to seep through the fabric because there were many holes and looks kinda flimsy.

02TWSI
07-31-2010, 08:34 PM
you should have reached for the 3m stuff, how hard was the install? Did you buy precut inserts?

Sucka
07-31-2010, 08:58 PM
you should have reached for the 3m stuff, how hard was the install? Did you buy precut inserts?

I knew people were gonna have this problem. Thats why i tell everyone to go to phil friend. Spend that extra cash and have it done right!

02TWSI
07-31-2010, 09:02 PM
hm yeah I totally forgot after all was said and done, now it's back to saving up cause i'm broke after paying my insurance :[!

I have quite a bit of fabric, and not a lot of patience though. lol

ttttrigg3r
07-31-2010, 09:08 PM
It's not that bad I think it's just the fabric and the way I put it on. I slightly stretched it when I put it on. Gonna attempt one more time with 3m adhesive and a lot more patience. Difficulty is about 4/10. It takes a pizza cutter and some tips I can tell u that.

02TWSI
07-31-2010, 09:16 PM
care to post any pics ? puh-lease :D

EPSU3
07-31-2010, 09:30 PM
I've had my fabric sitting in my closet for a few months now since I can't really figure out where to start. Did you remove the insert by drilling the back out or did you just lay over the top and use the pizza cutter to push the edges in?

charles
07-31-2010, 11:03 PM
pizza cutter would work, we used a flat head screw driver.

heres some pics of my friend and i installing them

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?55199-Door-Panel-DIY-Day-(May-7-2010)&p=751096&viewfull=1#post751096

ttttrigg3r
07-31-2010, 11:46 PM
I don't recommend drilling anything. Might fuck up something irreparable. The pizza cutter works really well on the edge with the biggest dip. all you do is put some weight and roll it many times and it goes right in. The other edges the trick is to gently lift some of the plastic while using a small flat tip to tuck it in. All the surrounding plastic pieces come up no matter how slight and you can just tuck the edges right in.

02TWSI
08-01-2010, 12:48 AM
pizza cutter would work, we used a flat head screw driver.

heres some pics of my friend and i installing them

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?55199-Door-Panel-DIY-Day-(May-7-2010)&p=751096&viewfull=1#post751096

which DIY did you guys follow? nice pics...never saw that thread before

charles
08-01-2010, 02:45 AM
which DIY did you guys follow? nice pics...never saw that thread before

no real diy. chubbychu came over and showed us what to do.

basically......
- remove door panel
- remove handle
- (This step optional, but provides cleaner look near the arm rest) remove the armrest from door panel, requires drilling out the stock glue stuff. Then later using screws and nuts to reassemble.
- protect door from glue using tape around the edges
- Glue up the fabric and the panel
- Apply fabric to door
- trim and tuck fabric
- Put everything back together

As for the original poster, since the glue seems to be going out on you, can you pull it off and do it over? I know it sounds like a long shot since the material seems foamy and weak. But if you can do it over with the 3m stuff, you will be happy. The 3m spray i used is holding up great, its only been like 3 months though........ but no problems yet. It seemed that the 3m glue would not seep through the fabric as long as you kept the recommended spraying distance and applied it in thin layers. I put probably 4 layers of glue on the fabric and the door with no seep issues.

02TWSI
08-01-2010, 10:32 AM
I think i'll take a crack at it today, gotta find that door card removal diy...I R NOOB!

bam, google found it.

http://importtuningtv.powertvonline.com/user_video_detail.php?mId=1111

ttttrigg3r
08-01-2010, 10:55 AM
Thanks. I'll probably do it with 3m. What do you mean you drilled out the arm rest? got any pics?

02TWSI
08-01-2010, 12:11 PM
I got some 3M General Trim Adhesive from Kragen. I went to ACE hardware but they had only the 77 3M stuff and I was looking for 76.. so I just got this. Let's see how it goes, says clear high strength great for lightweight fabrics and carpets.

ttttrigg3r
08-01-2010, 01:18 PM
the 77 was twice as expensive as the one I got. Guess you get what you pay for.

charles
08-01-2010, 11:02 PM
Thanks. I'll probably do it with 3m. What do you mean you drilled out the arm rest? got any pics?

Heres the only pics i got. i circled the grey circle things that needs to be drilled out for the arm rest to come out. There are more circle things, i just forgot the locations. Then the other pics is with the arm rest secured with nuts/screws/washers.

You just gotta drill through them until the armrest is able to come out. Just drilling until you see where the glue was holding the armrest. You have to be careful not to drill to much or you run the risk of making the holes to big for screws to threaded into them.

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p284/charlesrev/DSC_0006-2.jpg

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p284/charlesrev/DSC_0065.jpg

02TWSI
08-02-2010, 08:51 AM
I can honestly say after doing it without taking the armrest off, that I would do this with the armrest taken off.

thaseint
08-02-2010, 09:41 AM
I can honestly say after doing it without taking the armrest off, that I would do this with the armrest taken off.

I haven't done my inserts yet...still sitting on a bookcase in my bedroom; but just by looking at it I'm not sure how anyone could wedge the cloth down there without messing something up or scratching up the armrest.

There's very little room to wedge anything thicker than a thin sheet of paper, let along the inserts and pizza wheel. Not sure how people are doing it... :shrug:

Charles: Any pics of the plastic welds close up? Trying to get an idea of what kind of margin of error one could have when doing this. :msmile:

charles
08-02-2010, 11:55 AM
plastic welds!!!!!!!!!! that word has been blanking in my mind. sorry, but those were the best pics that i took.

Well i made a diagram of how the panel and armrest are held together. Hopefully it makes sense.

The hollow hole is what you do not want to screw up. This is what you are gonna use to thread the screws to reattach the armrest. So when drilling the plastic welds, take your time and use control not to goto deep. I guess you can get away with fucking one up, because there are a couple more to hold it, but the more you fuck up, the weaker the armrest gets. Messing one up might help to give you an idea of how much you should actually drill, thats how i learned.

So basically you are just trying to drill out enough plastic weld off each point where you can just rip the armrest out.

Removing the armrest is a bitch, but the end result is great. Last year i did my inserts with the armrest on, and it doesnt compared to when you do it with the armrest off.

let me know if something is not clear

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p284/charlesrev/Untitled-TrueColor-02-1.jpg

EPSU3
08-02-2010, 12:17 PM
so you guys removed the arm rest by drilling out the welds rather than removing the panel insert? Interesting. I wonder which requires the least amount of drilling. Thanks for the pics. I was hoping I could find a pic like yours with the welds circled to remove the insert but this looks good enough.

ttttrigg3r
08-02-2010, 06:10 PM
I haven't done my inserts yet...still sitting on a bookcase in my bedroom; but just by looking at it I'm not sure how anyone could wedge the cloth down there without messing something up or scratching up the armrest.

There's very little room to wedge anything thicker than a thin sheet of paper, let along the inserts and pizza wheel. Not sure how people are doing it... :shrug:

Charles: Any pics of the plastic welds close up? Trying to get an idea of what kind of margin of error one could have when doing this. :msmile:

This is a trick I've learned. Have another person help you, and have a very small flat tip screw driver. If the guy sits opposite of you and pull the armrest toward him, the armrest would be lifted a bit to show a small crack that you can tuck the fabric in. Worked very well for me without scratching the armrest .

I'm too much of a pussy to drill my panel. Too bad you don't live closer to socal you can show me how to do it.

sifrk32
08-03-2010, 12:58 PM
@charles, nice job on the fabrication, +1 for the gatoraid hooka
@ttttrigg3r, where did you buy your fabric from?
i tried to refabricate my doors a while back & was getting so frustrated i thought of the next, more complicated, thing to do...
i laid wood resin over the carpeted area, waited the next day to dry, sanded, painted, & now i have shiney red fiberglass door inserts lol

charles
08-03-2010, 01:03 PM
lol, thanks.

lets see your fiberglass inserts, post some pics

sifrk32
08-03-2010, 01:20 PM
cars at honda getting fixed, engine got hacked into last week.

ttttrigg3r
08-20-2010, 08:24 PM
Hell yeah i wanna see pics of that. must look nice. I bought my inserts off of vktor or something on this forum. pretty good fabric. I also redid my inserts using a new pair and 3m 77 adhesive. It was a lot stickier stronger than the cheap spray glue. Let's hope it sticks this time. It's been 5 days and looking good.

ep3jd
08-26-2010, 08:23 PM
Hell yeah i wanna see pics of that. must look nice. I bought my inserts off of vktor or something on this forum. pretty good fabric. I also redid my inserts using a new pair and 3m 77 adhesive. It was a lot stickier stronger than the cheap spray glue. Let's hope it sticks this time. It's been 5 days and looking good.

Hi-Tac 76 > Hi-Strength Super 90

i learned the hard way. got about 4 drips of water on them and they lifted. didn't spray the material also though