PDA

View Full Version : any sugestions???

2003_ep3
08-01-2010, 11:20 AM
last saturday i installed my kidd racing header and changed my oil, plugs, filter etc. and since then it has developed a slight ticking noise. i checked all the bolts on the header and they are as tight as they will ever get. so i thought maybe i needed a little more oil but that turned out ok as well. i cant locate the exact source of the noise because sometimes it sounds like its coming from the back of the head or up by the TB.

anybody have any sugestions as what could be causing this?? its pretty annoying and can sometimes be pretty loud. im just really ocd and cant stand noises and stuff that shouldnt be making noises.

i switched to RP 5w30 and ngk iridiums with a fram filter if that helps. my brother said that it could be that the walls of the header may be a little thin so i might just be hearing noises from the engine coming from the header. if that makes any sense. so do you think exhaust wrap may help??

and if you are going to take the time to read this, just respond. there is no need to ignore it. this is a forum, people come here for help. i kno somebody may have some sort of advice, i dont care how irrelevant it may be, just let me kno. ANY help will be appreaciated

Thanks!

EPSU3
08-01-2010, 08:21 PM
When I first put my megan header on I could hear a ticking. I believe this is normal just like your brother said. You are just hearing the workings of the engine more due to thinner walls and the lack of the head shield which also deadens the sound a bit. I didn't know there were EPs in Charleston. Lived here one year and never saw one.

BlownSi05
08-02-2010, 05:06 AM
With any race header you are going to hear a ticking sound, almost like a small exhaust leak, coming from the header. It is just the sound of the exhaust pulse inside the header.

2k3hatchie
08-02-2010, 06:54 AM
Good to know, wasn't aware a race header would do this.

2003_ep3
08-02-2010, 10:43 PM
When I first put my megan header on I could hear a ticking. I believe this is normal just like your brother said. You are just hearing the workings of the engine more due to thinner walls and the lack of the head shield which also deadens the sound a bit. I didn't know there were EPs in Charleston. Lived here one year and never saw one.

thanks! i figured as much. i might give the exhaust wrap a try. 35$ for a roll of 25'x2" hopefully that will cover the entire header down to the 02 sensors

and about the ep thing, i just got mine about a month and a half ago. and in the 11 years ive lived here i have literally only seen about 7. thats it. its nice not seeing them all over the place. it makes me feel special:mbiggrin:

you drive one?? where do you live? im in goose creek