PDA

View Full Version : Megan strut bars?

PatrickJamesYu
08-05-2010, 10:30 AM
This has probably been covered, but I can't find anything in the search.
I was looking into a Megan front strut tower bar, but its labeled to only fit the 01-05 Civic (will not fit 3dr Si)
But I have read up on several users here to have a megan front strut bar.
So does this 01-05 Megan strut bar fit?
Does the usdm engine bay require any relocating of any lines or anything like that, in order for it to fit?
Yes, Noob I Know.

.colin
08-05-2010, 10:36 AM
This has probably been covered, but I can't find anything in the search.
I was looking into a Megan front strut tower bar, but its labeled to only fit the 01-05 Civic (will not fit 3dr Si)
But I have read up on several users here to have a megan front strut bar.
So does this 01-05 Megan strut bar fit?
Does the usdm engine bay require any relocating of any lines or anything like that, in order for it to fit?
Yes, Noob I Know.

first of all, strut bars that aren't a one piece design don't do anything, and even then they still don't do much. second, i doubt the front bars off any car will work unless it specifically states it fits a usdm si. our brake reservoirs are in the way, the bar will run into it. now rear bars are a different story. any rsx/dc5 bar will fit a usdm si. hope this helps

also, speaking from experience, when i first got my ep i bought a megan front strut bar off ebay. the thing was shit, i could bend the brackets with my hands.

eurosteez
08-05-2010, 10:39 AM
Tanabe and Cusco dc5 front and rear struts fit in ep3's

hondaguy92129
08-05-2010, 11:22 AM
IMO I would get a new rear sway before a front strut tower bar. It will do a lot more to tighten up handling and decrease body roll than a tower bar will.

On a side note do you go to UCI?

PatrickJamesYu
08-05-2010, 05:24 PM
Okay I was thinking that, the resivoirs are like RIGHT THERE
I didn't see how it could fit

Thanks guys

and by UCI do you mean Irvine?
Why as a matter of fact I do not go there. At all.
haha
You seen me around?

15000rpms
08-05-2010, 05:32 PM
first of all, strut bars that aren't a one piece design don't do anything, and even then they still don't do much. second, i doubt the front bars off any car will work unless it specifically states it fits a usdm si. our brake reservoirs are in the way, the bar will run into it. now rear bars are a different story. any rsx/dc5 bar will fit a usdm si. hope this helps

also, speaking from experience, when i first got my ep i bought a megan front strut bar off ebay. the thing was shit, i could bend the brackets with my hands.

r u sure? my ti dc strut bar reduce body roll. Before i had it, my 90 degree left turns would make me slide off my seat, but with it on, i stayed in my seats. If they're useless, then my extra strut bar will be used for the rear with homemade brackets or take off the braces first, then install bar, then reinstall braces.

15000rpms
08-05-2010, 05:33 PM

Thanks guys

haha
You seen me around?

and, installing the front strut bar reduced body roll on mine, but it induced understeering meaning it increased understeering. But with my new rear sway bar, I make u-turns like it easier than right hand turns, plus I could turn at higher speeds without much body roll and without a lot of g force. And, the wheels don't feel like they're going to tuck in and snap.

it's just best if you look for a strut bar for our cars.

.colin
08-05-2010, 08:06 PM
r u sure? my ti dc strut bar reduce body roll. Before i had it, my 90 degree left turns would make me slide off my seat, but with it on, i stayed in my seats. If they're useless, then my extra strut bar will be used for the rear with homemade brackets or take off the braces first, then install bar, then reinstall braces.

i don't think thats a very good way of determining whether or not the bar did anything....

hondaguy92129
08-05-2010, 11:32 PM

Thanks guys

haha
You seen me around?

lol one of my sisters has a friend named Patrick Yu so I was curious :p and yeah I mean UC Irvine :)

15000rpms
08-08-2010, 05:50 AM
i don't think thats a very good way of determining whether or not the bar did anything....

apologies then. if the front strut's purpose is not to reduce body roll and increase g's then i'm lost now. Please do tell.

thanks

Draw7Seven
08-08-2010, 10:04 AM
apologies then. if the front strut's purpose is not to reduce body roll and increase g's then i'm lost now. Please do tell.

thanks

The disconnect in your logic is between the ability to "reduce body roll and increase g's" and the ability to keep you from sliding out of your seat. If all other factors remained constant and your handling abilities increased, you'd be more likely (rather than less) to slide out of a stock seat.

15000rpms
08-08-2010, 03:26 PM
The disconnect in your logic is between the ability to "reduce body roll and increase g's" and the ability to keep you from sliding out of your seat. If all other factors remained constant and your handling abilities increased, you'd be more likely (rather than less) to slide out of a stock seat.

What I'm getting from your comment is that, regardless of the upgrades and tuning, when you've maxed out the car's ablities you'll still slide out of a stock seat?

hondaguy92129
08-08-2010, 03:41 PM
Yeah. Basically look at it like this, your riding your skateboard really fast and you cut around the corner. The board stays completely level (no body roll) so you can't carve at all, what happens to you?

A: You eat sh*t. The same thing is happening in the car. You aren't connected to the car so when you have an awesome suspension (which cuts down on body roll and increases grip which allows you to corner faster) the car stays stable while you slide in your seat. In a stock seat with crappy bolsters and not much "grip" you will move around. Hence the need for bucket seats and harnesses.

At least that's what my amateurish logic is leading me to. Someone let me know if I'm right or wrong :p

Draw7Seven
08-08-2010, 07:27 PM
What I'm getting from your comment is that, regardless of the upgrades and tuning, when you've maxed out the car's ablities you'll still slide out of a stock seat?

Glad you came around :thumbu:

Yeah. Basically look at it like this, your riding your skateboard really fast and you cut around the corner. The board stays completely level (no body roll) so you can't carve at all, what happens to you?

A: You eat sh*t. The same thing is happening in the car. You aren't connected to the car so when you have an awesome suspension (which cuts down on body roll and increases grip which allows you to corner faster) the car stays stable while you slide in your seat. In a stock seat with crappy bolsters and not much "grip" you will move around. Hence the need for bucket seats and harnesses.

At least that's what my amateurish logic is leading me to. Someone let me know if I'm right or wrong :p

Precisely. People don't stiffen their suspension components in order to remain more stationary in their seats.

What was the topic of this thread again?

RedSiBaron
08-08-2010, 10:29 PM
dont buy a strut bar, buy engine mounts instead (avid)...those are more of a chassis brace than a lame strut bar

hondaguy92129
08-08-2010, 10:56 PM
or polyurethane bushings. Those things make a surprising difference.

PatrickJamesYu
08-09-2010, 04:37 PM
All this is helping me out
So question
Avid motor mounts for $300
or poly bushings for $30?

:O

Draw7Seven
08-09-2010, 08:12 PM
Do it right and do it once.

hondaguy92129
08-09-2010, 08:15 PM
You can always do both bro haha :) Just take your time and save up your money.