PDA

View Full Version : Vibration on acceleration

Tortoise
08-05-2010, 02:17 PM
i drove my car to a car meet last week and everything was fine. I left and whenever id be on the gas id feel a weird vibration almost like one of my wheels was loose. Checked and all the wheels were tight. Jacked the car up and my friends shook the wheels to check for somethin and that was fine too. It only vibrates if im on the gas the second i let off its fine. Im guessing its axel related. ANybody have any ideas?

Twisted-X
08-05-2010, 03:00 PM
My guess is the CV joints. It'll eventually do it when you decelerate with the engine also. If there's no side-to-side, up-and-down, or in-and-out play in the front wheels its probably the CV joints.

Tortoise
08-05-2010, 03:35 PM
Yeah my dad thought it was cv joints. Is it ok to drive it lije this? So what causes these to go bad and how much is it to fix?

Twisted-X
08-05-2010, 04:17 PM
Mileage, and sometimes boot failure. You'll know if the boot failed because you'll have a greasy wheel well (usually). New CV Half Shaft Assembly's are usually around $50 for a re-manufactured piece.

As for driving on it :shrug: I've gone 150 miles on a bad Halfshaft once because I had to...

Tougeep3
08-05-2010, 06:03 PM
You'd be surprized how bad they can get before they break. That being said, it will only get worse and you've got a 90% chance of being right(btw it sounds like one, I had the same symptom, replaced them both and it went away..), Replace it. Nothing wrong with fixing something as soon as you know what's wrong, it eliminates the worst thing that can happen happenning.

RedSiBaron
08-06-2010, 09:56 AM
have you checked the condition of your engine mounts? hows your passenger side mount? have you noticed any difference on whether or not you can easily get the car into gear?
the passenger side mount and driver side mount are both oil filled and that makes them rather weak to begin with, but when they blow the loose all the oil and tear and there goes all your vibration dampening as well as rigidity and your engine will move really bad...from what i understand you get the most vibrations with the blown passenger side mount. i had my front and driver side blown and it didnt vibrate too bad, just moved a lot under acceleration.

bad CV joints typically make noise, and usually come hand in hand with a torn boot as well...check your boots, is there grease thrown everywhere?

27rocks
08-06-2010, 10:23 AM
As far as i know any vibration under load is due to Toe issues. If you have to much toe in or toe out the tires will be either pushing against each other or pulling. I experienced this problem when i did my 5 lug swap and put my 17x9's on. I had excessive toe in and any time i would accelerate on the freeway i would get massive vibrations. After getting an alignment it all went away.

Tortoise
08-06-2010, 04:41 PM
Yeah people have bein sayin its prolly not cv joints since theres no clicking or anything. Its starting to do it while braking now too. Guess ill jus take it to a shop and have them look it over cuz im a noob.

VIZHUNZ02SI
08-06-2010, 05:02 PM
cv joints, mine's is doing the same thing. i jacked the up spun the drivers side wheel and it 3/4 th of the way when rotating. the noise sounds like a light wrench turning

Aliperon
08-06-2010, 11:34 PM
bad passenger side ball joint is my problem. mies been vibrating for about a month and then last week it got really bad only on acceleration, took it honda and they said the ball joints about ready to fall apart so check that maybe thats your problem?

eurosteez
08-06-2010, 11:48 PM
hows idle? Its only on Acceleration? Is it worse at WOT? less when cruisin?....check your fuel injectors and wire harness connections....runnin on three cylinders will make you vibrate. harder you gas the more it vibrates...if this sounds fimiliar prolly an injector circuit.

Tougeep3
08-07-2010, 07:11 AM
Yeah people have bein sayin its prolly not cv joints since theres no clicking or anything. Its starting to do it while braking now too. Guess ill jus take it to a shop and have them look it over cuz im a noob.

You're not gonna listen to dad huh?? A vibration when accelerating may be caused by play in the inboard or outboard joints, but the most likely cause is a worn inboard plunge joint. Similar vibrations can also be caused by a bad intermediate shaft bearing on transaxles with unequal length halfshafts, or by bad motor mounts on FWD vehicles with transverse-mounted engines. I haven't seen the car, but if the front end is tight.......

ZaTHRaS
08-13-2010, 03:12 AM
OP, have you found the cause of this yet?

Tortoise
11-17-2010, 03:33 PM
Turned out to be a bent passenger side axle.

Grookes
06-19-2016, 12:00 PM
Resurrecting thread.
165k miles, vibration when accelerating, mostly at higher speeds. Most noticeable in 3rd gear above 3000 rpm. Replaced motor mounts (they were SHREDDED) and that at least stopped the vibration from coming through the steering wheel. I can still feel it through the gas peddle and (less so) floor boards. No irregular vibrations when coasting.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk