PDA

View Full Version : can i use e85 fuel in my ep?

JetsPandaEP3
08-06-2010, 06:53 PM
just wondering if i can use e85 fuel on my ep without tuning? is it safe? what are the Pro's and con's. thanks

Lucid Moments
08-06-2010, 07:15 PM
You can't use it without some serious modifications. You would need to upgrade the fuel system, and add programmable ECU. Additionally there is little if any advantage to using E85 in an engine that is not desiged for it.

Passenger
08-06-2010, 07:34 PM
**regular unleaded gas only**

classiccelica
08-06-2010, 07:57 PM
Technically yes you can use it but not without getting much larger injectors, much larger fuel lines and a pump made for it as well. You use I believe 40% more e85 to regular unleaded fuel. You absolutely must have kpro or other engine management to tune for the added mods.

EP3driver
08-07-2010, 09:51 AM
To top it off, the ethanol produced out of corn is less efficient when compared with that produced from sugar cane in Brazil which has a higher octane rating and efficiency. US ethanol is not what is made to be.

kenscivic
08-07-2010, 10:24 AM
Technically yes you can use it but not without getting much larger injectors, much larger fuel lines and a pump made for it as well. You use I believe 40% more e85 to regular unleaded fuel. You absolutely must have kpro or other engine management to tune for the added mods.

Absolutely correct! I am not sure if it's 40% more but it is higher octane so you will most likely burn through your o2 sensors quicker, destroy your cat quicker, and possibly eat through your fuel system gaskets/seals over time... But technically yes you CAN run it but not recommended. No real purpose unless you are tOOned for it.

JetsPandaEP3
08-07-2010, 10:44 AM
thanks for the help guys

27rocks
08-07-2010, 10:58 AM
You have to remember people that higher octane doesn't mean more horsepower. People tend to think that because the Octane rating is high you will have a more explosive fuel in a normal engine or even get better gas mileage. This in fact is Wrong!!! It's actually the opposite. The lower rated fuels are more explosive or burn easier in the chamber. Higher octane is designed for high compression or forced induction motors. They are designed to detonate a little harder or burn slower. The extra compression from a higher compression motor actually helps it detonate much easier. Hence the reason why high compression motors demand for higher octane.

talonXracer
08-07-2010, 11:13 AM
E85 is best used in a built engine that can take advantage of the higher octane of E85, one with over 13:1 compression ratio. The builds I have seen for E85 all have had at least 14:1, at these levels the cost/volume vrs power produced of the E85 really shines.

I would not hesitate to build a E85 track car, but the corn based E85 has too many negatives for a DD.

JetsPandaEP3
08-07-2010, 05:00 PM
You have to remember people that higher octane doesn't mean more horsepower. People tend to think that because the Octane rating is high you will have a more explosive fuel in a normal engine or even get better gas mileage. This in fact is Wrong!!! It's actually the opposite. The lower rated fuels are more explosive or burn easier in the chamber. Higher octane is designed for high compression or forced induction motors. They are designed to detonate a little harder or burn slower. The extra compression from a higher compression motor actually helps it detonate much easier. Hence the reason why high compression motors demand for higher octane.

i'm boosting a k20a2 motor. so your saying this would be pretty good for my car? ive already got the bigger injectors, and upgraded fuel pump.

b.r.i.a.n.
08-07-2010, 07:45 PM
Absolutely correct! I am not sure if it's 40% more but it is higher octane so you will most likely burn through your o2 sensors quicker, destroy your cat quicker, and possibly eat through your fuel system gaskets/seals over time... But technically yes you CAN run it but not recommended. No real purpose unless you are tOOned for it.
it's roughly 25-30% on average to net stoich afr's with e85. and yes it is a higher octane. it will not eat through your lines. i have tuned a few e85 setups on rsx's and k-swapped cars with no ill effects. e85 itself is not corrosive. the fact that it attracts water is what you have to watch for.

27rocks
08-07-2010, 09:16 PM
i'm boosting a k20a2 motor. so your saying this would be pretty good for my car? ive already got the bigger injectors, and upgraded fuel pump.

If you get tuned on it then yes it would work. But its not worth the $$$ for the gains you get imo. Just get tuned on regular pump high octane and call it a day.

JetsPandaEP3
08-07-2010, 09:57 PM
it's roughly 25-30% on average to net stoich afr's with e85. and yes it is a higher octane. it will not eat through your lines. i have tuned a few e85 setups on rsx's and k-swapped cars with no ill effects. e85 itself is not corrosive. the fact that it attracts water is what you have to watch for.

was it a good turn out? how much of a difference was it with e85 compared to regular gas?

b.r.i.a.n.
08-08-2010, 05:33 AM
so far i've used it on all motor setups and to be honest the gains aren't really that significant. it burns cooler and it's cheaper but it is offsest by the fact that you need more of it to create the same combustion you would with regular gasoline.