PDA

View Full Version : Tail light conversion swap help asap!!??

gizmo_75
08-07-2010, 03:37 PM
I'm currently in the process of switching my 04-05 tail lights to the 02-03 ones. Is there anyone with experience who did the swap with out swapping out the whole harness and just snipped the wires instead? If so what wires am I snipping and connecting?

Twisted-X
08-08-2010, 11:32 PM
Found this in another thread about how to use '02/'03 Type Arrr tails in a '04/'05->

I just did them last night. very easy install. you just need PATIENCE!!!!!!

you don't have to cut any wires.

like others have said... the brake lights is not modded. It's left alone.
1.)Take the signal light bulb assembly and unclip it from the harness.
2.) Holding the clip with wire is one hand and apply pressure as to pull the wires from the clip, gently use a fine nail to "un-clip" the terminals inside the clip. Where you do this is where the clip connects to the bulb socket. This picture is not clear in that DIY. It should come out smoothly. REMEMBER the order how they went. it's important. you'll mess with the polarity.
3.) Install turnsignal wires onto new clip. use a needlenose plier to clip the metal "prongs" to the clip. You should here a "click" to each terminal.
4.)Take the reverse light bulb socket assembly and unclip. Go to town here. It's a PITA to unclip. You don't the clip anyway. Use the clip from the turnsignal that you took off in step (2) and reconnect. Again, use needlenose pliers to clip the metal "prongs" to the clip. You should here a "click" to each terminal.
5.) Before assembly have your buddy or wife in my case turn the car on, step on the brake, turn lights on, and put in reverse to make sure everything is okay.
6.) swap the bottom metal 90degree bracket.
7.) use the old or put on the new gasket.
8.) as you tightened the tailight down apply alittle pressure to "push" the taillight in. It made it alittle easier to bolt down the light and it made for a cleaner gap to the sheetmetal.
9.) To get to the real PITA top 8mm nut, simply disconnect the reverse light socket and push to the side. after tightening, reconnect.

10.) now would be a good time to switch the brake light to the top. But i got UKDM lights so haha:tehehyper:

hope this helps.